Overwatch

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Technically, it wouldn't hurt the players if they had F2P, and a 40$ box that comes with the 21 starting heroes or that unlocked every hero. That's smite's model, it uses your basic lol model, but you can pay a one time fee to unlock every heroes forever, then the money comes from cosmetics and shit.

It would probably be less money than F2P, but more than the current one I'd say, because you'd have a bunch of F2P players spending money on skins of the heroes they unlocked without paying. It would also appease both sides tbh. I think Smite, dota2 aside, has the best monetization model for a F2P game. Dota2 is better, but it's also completely carried by Steam integrated workshop, submission system, voting system and the large reach of Steam in general and shit like that, you can't make that shit overnight and the costs to design the system would be hard to justify unless they designed several games to use the same system, and they kinda missed that train already. So yeah Smite system would be good for this.

The main downside is cheaters. You'd have more in the early tiers of gaming(new accounts and shit) than with the paywall access they chose atm. At the same time, I feel this is more of a PC issue and consoles are kinda getting lumped together even though their servers are separate. I can see why they don't do different payment models between them, but still.

I think they should consider it though, leave the 40$ hero unlock system, and add a shitty F2P progression system for people who apparently don't want to spend any money buying games anymore and would rather get heroes 1 by 1 every 30hours of gaming with a restricted choice first.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The main counter point though is if you want this to be a competitive game, you can't have people learning in a non-competitive environment with locked accounts and half the character pool. People playing a F2P account with less than 21 characters are just not playing the same game as someone who has all 21. It matters if all the other players on your team have 1 character. It matters according to Tigole so much that they decided they can't parcel the cast out to people because its not the same game under such a model. You are right that they could slap F2P on it certainly, but if I spend 40 bucks under your model suggestion, I want a guarantee that people with 1 hero can all play matches together. I don't want them in my game on my team or as an opponent.

Edit:

Lets not forget the diversity of games that each individual player will experience if you lock accounts up under F2P. The same small subset of characters would persist in every game not because of meta game, player preference, the communities impression of a character, etc. There are plenty of characters in HotS and LoL who are underrepresented in games not because they are broken or unable to be played but because they are paywalled. It is unfortunate that they don't get played more - but locked up accounts and a sense of tier lists trap characters from ever being played.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Why all the tears about it not being F2P? CSGO isn't F2P and it is doing just fine. $40 is a pretty low entry point and it helps cut down on the squeekers.

Column_sl

shitlord
Except is isnt 40 bucks on the consoles, and CSGO is 15 bucks...

Price has nothing to do with cutting down on squeakers.

The main counter point though is if you want this to be a competitive game, you can't have people learning in a non-competitive environment with locked accounts and half the character pool.
You mean like every card game, and MOBA ever? The most popular esports of all times. Yeah you, have no idea what you are talking about.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Except is isnt 40 bucks on the consoles, and CSGO is 15 bucks...

Price has nothing to do with cutting down on squeakers.

You mean like every card game, and MOBA ever? The most popular esports of all times. Yeah you, have no idea what you are talking about.
Dont mention MOBA in this thread bc the FPS heroes will quickly point out its not a MOBA!

However youre right, the overall design and way the content/chars will be added is identical to a MOBA and it doesnt mean this should be F2P. They will release it with X chars at launch for $40 then add more over time like LoL/DOTA for a price - Not having these newer people wont put you at a disadvantage bc using someone else will just be a choice - People need to stop bitching and acting like $40 will break the pocket. Also even it this is a competitive game you are in a locked account - you have the option to buy newer heroes later.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
A game can be competitive, that doesn't mean that all competitors start on equal footing when it comes to available choices. A level 1 league account is incapable of creating the environment that its pros play under, same with hearthstone. If you pick up CS:GO, or Dota 2 your account is 100% the same when it comes to gameplay as any other player on the planet. We all know by now that you are too dense to understand some concepts, I thought I made it easy for you to grasp. Plenty of people don't want to play these games to be competitive, and to them this difference doesn't mean shit.

You mean like every card game, and MOBA ever?
Cept its not every Moba, and Overwatch isn't a fucking card game its an FPS are you retarded?

Column_sl

shitlord
Dandain;1293597 said:
A game can be competitive, that doesn't mean that all competitors start on equal footing when it comes to available choices. A level 1 league account is incapable of creating the environment that its pros play under, same with hearthstone. If you pick up CS:GO, or Dota 2 your account is 100% the same when it comes to gameplay as any other player on the planet. We all know by now that you are too dense to understand some concepts, I thought I made it easy for you to grasp. Plenty of people don't want to play these games to be competitive, and to them this difference doesn't mean shit.

Cept its not every Moba, and Overwatch isn't a fucking card game its an FPS are you retarded?
This is about as far from any competitive FPS that I have ever seen in that genre. It really is nothing like TF2 either.

You claiming that it will never work in a F2P model with locking away heroes when clearly other team synergy games have proven that you are wrong makes you sound like a complete dumb ass...

Dont mention MOBA in this thread bc the FPS heroes will quickly point out its not a MOBA!
No FPS hero would ever champion a game like this, it wouldn't even appeal to them. It's not the CSGO/HALO/COD formula.
IMO they are completely different communities.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Paywalling shit like League of Legends is a shit system, regardless as to the game type. DOTA2 proved you can make bank just by selling hats and not actually restricting gameplay.

Besides, as was pointed out, if you do paywall stuff, then it restricts what you can do with heroes because without proper counters you either have an OP hero or the developer is forced to make mediocre heroes with virtually the same type of abilities (ie, boring).

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
You claiming that it will never work in a F2P model with locking away heroes when clearly other team synergy games have proven that you are wrong makes you sound like a complete dumb ass...
My last post, I never made such a claim. I made the claim that when you want to create a skill base that resembles Dota, if you gate access to all skills (characters) it fundamentally changes both the characters you can design and the way the game plays out. I did make the suggestion that Overwatch's skill design is more equivalent to the Dota Model of design than the Hots/League model. I made two references you clearly don't get in regards to hero skills and design. You then said I claimed this couldn't be a F2P game. It most certainly could. Tigole said in that article, which is the entire basis of my post, that turning the game into a F2P internal model made it LESS FUN, so much less fun that apparently they decided against going that route. Apparently, for FUN. You are fucking stupid. Learn to read.

Column_sl

shitlord
Paywalling shit like League of Legends is a shit system, regardless as to the game type. DOTA2 proved you can make bank just by selling hats and not actually restricting gameplay.

Besides, as was pointed out, if you do paywall stuff, then it restricts what you can do with heroes because without proper counters you either have an OP hero or the developer is forced to make mediocre heroes with virtually the same type of abilities (ie, boring).
Except it has worked A) Pay walling has mad millions for the Devs B) Although it may restrict you, it has not made those games less of a competitive juggernaut in their respective scenes.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am more excited that this game has a box price and isn't F2P. I just want to buy a game and play it and not worry about unlocking heroes or paying for them.

Column_sl

shitlord
My last post, I never made such a claim. I made the claim that when you want to create a skill base that resembles Dota, if you gate access to all skills (characters) it fundamentally changes both the characters you can design and the way the game plays out. I did make the suggestion that Overwatch's skill design is more equivalent to the Dota Model of design than the Hots/League model. I made two references you clearly don't get in regards to hero skills and design. You then said I claimed this couldn't be a F2P game. It most certainly could. Tigole said in that article, which is the entire basis of my post, that turning the game into a F2P internal model made it LESS FUN, so much less fun that apparently they decided against going that route. Apparently, for FUN. You are fucking stupid. Learn to read.
You then said I claimed this couldn't be a F2P game.
Then says

The main counter point though is if you want this to be a competitive game, you can't have people learning in a non-competitive environment with locked accounts and half the character pool.
Ridiculous statements. It is very obvious you can have gated content/heroes and still have a HIGHLY competitive game.

And LOL, at the less fun shit. Blizzard looks at how much money they can make. They are dipping their feet in the waters to see if they can make a Paid game with micro transactions work where other games like Evolved have failed.

Whats going to happen when they add more heroes later if successful, is it all the sudden going to be less fun because others wont have those heroes. Such a ridiculous statement.

Street Fighter 5 is pulling the same shit right now.

Column_sl

shitlord
I am more excited that this game has a box price and isn't F2P. I just want to buy a game and play it and not worry about unlocking heroes or paying for them.
It doesn't really matter to me either way. I would probly just buy the hero pack, and would be paying the same amount as we are now.

It's all in the way they present it to you, but they are all incomplete games with future micro transactions.

Now if I planned to play this on console you should be aggravated. This game is not worth 60 bucks imo. It's a 40 dollar base game max.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You wouldn't get every hero if it was F2P and they had a pack. 40$ would get you half the cast, if that.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Why even argue the point? It costs money for the box and it isn't gated. Deal with it. The end.

The biggest reason it costs money, IMO: Project Titan. Do you think that was free? Titan no doubt cost them a massive fuckton of money. Overwatch was no doubt born as a result of them needing to recoup capital after it became apparent Titan wasn't going to come together. "Hey, we invested a ton of cash into Titan, what can we do to recoup investment and make a good game maybe?"

Box sales are an immediate way to get an injection of money. You can get 10s of millions right away, and because it is online/has to be registered on Battlenet, you keep effective piracy to a minimum. This helps remove loss write offs from Titan, then positions them for ways to monetize the game beyond box sales (selling outfits will be the main thing I imagine to start off with).

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So, have they said anything about letting people that get the $40 version of the game upgrade to the $60 version?

Column_sl

shitlord
So, have they said anything about letting people that get the $40 version of the game upgrade to the $60 version?
There's also another edition they haven't put up for sale yet, but was on MMO champion.

Will have a Soldier statue etc.

So basically there is no reason to pre order this until it gets close to release.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So much overthinking going on lol - I just wish this shit had beta included on preorder - atleast with origins. Pretty sure i'll end up having to buy this on atleast 1 console along with PC.