Overwatch

Itzena_sl

shitlord
and microtransactions on top of that.
I'm still thinking that Blizzard is going to bundle up new heroes/maps/etc. and sell them as expansion packs rather than microtransactions. About the only thing I can see as individual DLC is reskins.

Less interested now. Might buy it when it hits like $39.99 though.
That is the price; the $60 box is the collectors edition with skins and cross-promotional stuff for other Blizzard games.
e;f,b.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm still on the fence about it unless they actually come out and say their pay model for future content. I can be okay with some 5$ DLCs, but if they lock new heroes behind paywalls then I don't know how to feel. UNLESS they do a HOTS thing where you can unlock them with some sort of ingame currency.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm still on the fence about it unless they actually come out and say their pay model for future content. I can be okay with some 5$ DLCs, but if they lock new heroes behind paywalls then I don't know how to feel. UNLESS they do a HOTS thing where you can unlock them with some sort of ingame currency.
There is a datamined ingame currency, we just don't know what it buys you. They might not even be sure themselves. Game's not releasing for like 6months, even with the good estimation of their spring announcement(well technically, it could be march 25th or whatever, so that's like 4 and a half at least), and they're already done with heroes. There's a bunch of time for them to figure out what they're actually planning to do based on sales and feedback. Hell they could go with a F2P system still, and have the 40$ unlock all 21 heroes while F2P has to play a rotation and shit like other F2P games. I think it'd be terrible for non ranked newbie games in terms of cheating(as in, the games will be literally full of aim botters, since at that point you don't lose anything, just like the leveling games in dota and lol are full of bots and smurfs), but many people seem to think that's a better solution. Some want a cheaper alternative and I can kinda see that, but 40$ doesn't bother me.

I guess they'll come out sometime next week with some detailed info and a large post detailing how they didn't expect people(reddit) to be little bitches and crying because the game is not F2P. Meanwhile I'll be piloting a pink mecha.

xzi

Mouthbreather
40$ doesn't bother me for a quality game for sure. I mean, I'm not going to pre-order it right now because what they've shown does look fun but doesn't impress that much - BUT it's fucking early closed beta. I feel like a lot of people, especially on reddit, forget that beta is not the final product and this is probably why every company ever keeps closed betas under NDA. Although OW seems exceptionally polished that's for sure.

The only pay model I would be mad at is a monthly fee for a premium like Quake Live did a few years ago and it effectively split the community and killed the game. If you had premium, you could play a lot of maps that were only for premium players, a new game mode, more clan options, better statistic options, ability to start your own server and extra rewards. I can't think of anything else as stupid as that business model, holy fuck.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
The reason most of us are really sketchy over the box price is this looks like they might be setting up to do a box price and then throw all the microtransactions on top of it as well. Yeah, you get the starting hero set but then everything after that you have to pay for on top of box costs. If that is the case, I'm just not comfortable enough with the game at the moment to know if I will get my money's worth out of it. As it stands right now its just too on the bubble for me to make a decision just yet on what I'm willing to pay. The lack of an early access with the preorder too is really buzzkill and makes me wonder whats up. Thought at least few days early access with preorder was almost standard now.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The beta access on preorder will most likely happen, just not now. The beta is in a really early state. Sure the gameplay is there, the heroes are there, the game is fun. It also has no progression, no matchmaking(or very limited), no replays/spectator mode, no stats screen, an early UI and shit like that. The game is really barebones at the moment, it's not ready for a 400k people beta phase, and that's nothing to say of the servers and shit which have to be rented and prepared for this kind of massive beta. They'll probably ramp it up as they add new features, test the matchmaking in a small environement so they can quickly assess any issues without it being destroyed by overload which would potentially hide other underlying issues, and once all the shit is ready, they'll just go and flag everyone who preordered.

I expect this to happen 2 to 3 months before release. So like January/February or so.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Microtransactions are a given. Just are they going to be cosmetics, pretty princess dress up stuff or are they going to have key game play stuff like heroes and maps locked behind paywalls?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If they add beta access with pre-ordering I'll pick it up, otherwise, it's FO4 all day and night for a few months.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Microtransactions are a given. Just are they going to be cosmetics, pretty princess dress up stuff or are they going to have key game play stuff like heroes and maps locked behind paywalls?
Of course they will sell heroes and maps for cash. Call it xpac or dlc or whatever you want theyll nickel and dime you just like they did with the D3 AH.

Cybsled

People are just entitled now. TF2 used to cost money when it first came out. It has been F2P so long that people have forgotten that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Did it? I seem to recall getting it in the 'orange box' and then coming out for everyone else F2P pretty soon after or something? I don't remember it ever being standalone and costing money just that they realized it had a ton of potential so they separated it from HL2. It's been a while.

xzi

Mouthbreather
It released with the orange box, but not long after that they started selling it on steam for 20$ IIRC. & It wasn't until 4 years later during the medic update in 2011 the game went F2P.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Did it? I seem to recall getting it in the 'orange box' and then coming out for everyone else F2P pretty soon after or something? I don't remember it ever being standalone and costing money just that they realized it had a ton of potential so they separated it from HL2. It's been a while.
Yeah it was Orange Box, which was a cheap deal overall, but it still wasn't free. It was also sold separately. Released in oct 2007, F2P came in June 2011. That's quite a while later.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
*shrug* all I remember from that era was thinking TFC was way better and never playing it.