Overwatch

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Jeff Kaplan reacting to community stuff in this video. Big thing to take out of it is that heroes will be free after launch, no pay for heroes system. That was a huge question so that's nice to know, there's no details about how many heroes, when, how soon or anything, just that they'll be free. Maps too I think, unclear.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm sure reddit will still bitch it isn't free since they're a bunch of entitled children

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm sure reddit will still bitch it isn't free since they're a bunch of entitled children
Oh don't worry they still have a bunch of shit to cry about like "wer muh betah" and the tickrate even though most of them have no idea what the tickrate does and shit, most of them think tickrate is the same as lag compensation.

But there's been quite a lot more positive responses to this announcement. I honestly don't know if the bitching was unnecessary either, it could be that Blizzard decided to make everything free because of the backlash, they might or might not have plans before but after all the whining they decided to go like this. I think if Diablo 3 can keep running servers and updates shit for free, with no cosmetics microtransactions, they should be able to sustain Overwatch being B2P AND having microtransactions, it shouldn't really be hard for them tbh. And unlike MOBAs, they don't really need to be pumping out heroes every 3-4weeks, they can just add one every 3months or whatever and most people would be happy with that.

Anyway shit's going down like what, tomorrow, for a month, so whatever for now.

Tenks

Oh don't worry they still have a bunch of shit to cry about like "wer muh betah" and the tickrate even though most of them have no idea what the tickrate does and shit, most of them think tickrate is the same as lag compensation.
And Blizzard has already said the server has a higher tickrate than the client. So even if the client is 20 tick doesn't mean the server is running at 20. Which seems like an awkward decision but I'm sure it is in the sake of performance.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And Blizzard has already said the server has a higher tickrate than the client. So even if the client is 20 tick doesn't mean the server is running at 20. Which seems like an awkward decision but I'm sure it is in the sake of performance.
That doesn't make sense at all.

Tenks

That doesn't make sense at all.
How? Fewer screen refreshes means less intensive on the computer. But it can still communicate to the server at a higher rate. I will say I don't agree and for an FPS they should make it as accurate and responsive as possible. And maybe during the month off they'll investigate it.

xzi

Mouthbreather
The thing with tickrate is it varies wildly from whatever game/engine you're using. 20 is insane if this were a source game, but it isn't. Playing it honestly feels alright most of the time. At least once or twice a map ever map I would die around corners which is fucking annoying but it doesn't happen as much as I figured it would have.

Also refresh rate and tick rate are completely separate.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I wonder how many little snowflake faggots cried about the kill cam for them to feel the need to address it. I only played the stress weekend but aside from the lack of the kill feed they mentioned I didn't have many complaints about the game.

Tenks

What did they change about the kill cam? Only complaint I've heard about it is that it gives away your position so it makes heroes like Widowmaker a bit worse since they can't snipe you from a hiding spot and you can just call out where she is after death.

Needless

Toe Sucker
That still isn't a big issue, she has really good mobility with his shift. I think he was just refering to people complaining about a kill cam because it reminds them of just dying and getting salty. Pussies just being pussies lol

I'm watching and chuckling at ZP cast some game where one of the teams is called My Dong

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The main issue with the kill cam isn't really revealing widow position, it's the fact the display on the kill cam shows a lot more info than it should if you die to certain heroes, specifically Symmetra's turret and teleporter placement. That actually hurts quite a bit. Rest is fine, Widow you can generally tell when you die where she was anyway, there's only so many spots. Plus she's not supposed to camp in one spot, she can move around to other spots when she's discovered.

Tenks

The main issue with the kill cam isn't really revealing widow position, it's the fact the display on the kill cam shows a lot more info than it should if you die to certain heroes, specifically Symmetra's turret and teleporter placement. That actually hurts quite a bit. Rest is fine, Widow you can generally tell when you die where she was anyway, there's only so many spots. Plus she's not supposed to camp in one spot, she can move around to other spots when she's discovered.
Ah yes the Symmetra issue. I forgot about that. Yeah they should fix that.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Theatrical Teaser means Overwatch the movie? Also, who is D.Va fighting (she can't move that fast while firing, c'mon Blizz) and what is Genji sitting on?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Genji is sitting on a robot, and D-Va is fighting a large robot. In the lore, there's those AI robots that waged war against humanity, the Omnics. Zenyatta and Bastion are omnics, Zen is like one that decided to make peace and shit and Bastion is like a buggy one or some nonsense. D-Va on the other hand has like a Pacific Rim situation with large omnics coming out of the sea or some shit to invade korea, so the army gave her a shitty armor to fight them in, like they needed very skilled pilots with high APM to fight the giant robots.

I think the humans won the war, even though there's still some Omnics in some places.

The lore is kinda standard shit. Characters are pretty interesting but the rest is like, eh.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That actually sounds far more interesting than the current game. Right now it's like a bunch of has-beens show up to fight each other because... some are mercenaries I guess.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That actually sounds far more interesting than the current game. Right now it's like a bunch of has-beens show up to fight each other because... some are mercenaries I guess.
I kinda wish they had a coop/single player campaign in the game, but it's a ton of work so I could see why they don't.

The backstories of the characters are pretty nice, especially the members of the old Overwatch and they're all fairly detailed, besides a few(like Mei has more or less no backstory cause she was in cryostasis for several years). Why they're fighting right now though is a lot less clear. They're reforming Overwatch because evil people or something, some of whom are old Overwatch members(McCree, Reaper and such) but none of it has any impact in the game, you don't pick sides and the objectives are only vaguely linked to something.