Overwatch

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't matter how awesome you think your tactics are when they quite objectively do not work. Even if I take your absurd hyperbole at face value, why do you keep repeating the same tactics if they aren't working? I'd argue that an important characterisitic of a good player is adapting to the circumstances. Maybe teams in your brackets don't need solomaster 9000 Genjis on the flank, maybe they need Lucios, Reinhardts and Soldiers playing the objective.

Tangentially, I've noticed everyone on this forum sub 50 thinks everyone but them has no idea what they're doing. Uh... you guys can't all be right, right?
This crusade you're on to get everyone to accept their rank is getting tired. Let Noodle bitch if he wants to. I find matches in the low 40s infuriating too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's fine really

At first I was salty as fuck as you all remember. After that I stopped caring. This time I was just throwing out my thoughts. I don't even really get mad when I lose, although I do yell a bit when I see my entire team holding way the fuck back when trying to attack a point.

I bring it upon myself being a Genji

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
This crusade you're on to get everyone to accept their rank is getting tired. Let Noodle bitch if he wants to. I find matches in the low 40s infuriating too.
Matches in the bottom 25th percentile are infuriating? Do you think you'd have a better time playing against the top 25th percentile? You'd never get a single medal. Every time you pressed tab you'd know how much better your team would be without you. Or do you think you'd suddenly become a top 25th percentile player. Because that's how skill works.

People who liked shitting up the LoL thread with whiny complaints about elo hell told me it was tiring when I called them on their shit, too. Make a safe-space thread for all irrational whining about ranked and I'll stay out of it.

EDIT: Noodle -- part of ranked is playing against people who do care. If you're genuinely having fun playing and not caring, then that's ultimately what matters. But obviously if anyone is ranking up, its people who are caring enough to try to improve.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
After dropping 10 ranks (at 50 now), I'm not caring much anymore either. Just grinding games to get a golden gun and if I rank up then fine. I duo'd with Devorean(?) a night or 2 ago and was playing with & against mid-40s and the games were dogshit, lost 3 ranks duoing. Lower you go the less competent and less coordination. I couldn't even carry after doing over 26k dmg as Soldier in Lijiang, which is the most damage I've ever done with any hero.

I can't dedicate the time to be top 10% in this game so rank is whatever.. May as well play competitive for the points/goldens though. I hope end of season rewards is based on the "Season High", doubt Ill get back to 60.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Matches in the bottom 25th percentile are infuriating? Do you think you'd have a better time playing against the top 25th percentile? You'd never get a single medal. Every time you pressed tab you'd know how much better your team would be without you. Or do you think you'd suddenly become a top 25th percentile player. Because that's how skill works.

People who liked shitting up the LoL thread with whiny complaints about elo hell told me it was tiring when I called them on their shit, too. Make a safe-space thread for all irrational whining about ranked and I'll stay out of it.

EDIT: Noodle -- part of ranked is playing against people who do care. If you're genuinely having fun playing and not caring, then that's ultimately what matters. But obviously if anyone is ranking up, its people who are caring enough to try to improve.
Oh trust me, I understand why I'm there. I'm not very good at the game. That doesn't mean I can't bitch about it though.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Maybe my problem is I should just take charge in pugs - LISTEN MOTHERFUCKER WHY THE FUCK DID YOU JUST ROLL SYMMETRA WHEN WE'RE ON ATTACK STOP IT.

I'll start streaming my games so everyone can laugh at how hilariously terrible at this game I am and how if I had switched to any other character I wouldn't lose every single game.
Might find a niche in streaming, people will enjoy watching that hahaha.

I don't think, at least i'm not reading it in that tone, that they're complaining disregarding their own performance. I've seen the difference between people thinking they should be higher in the ranking, and people who are frustrating at their rank in general. I can't say for certain what it looks like in Overwatch at low ranks, but with my experience smurfing at low rank CSGO and League.. It's cancerous as fuck.

More than half the time, even regarding Elo Hell... I think its a matter of player mentality. The lower you go, the worse it gets.. not to say that there isn't people in the high ranking that are not the same. I run into it on a daily.

There is nothing more infuriating to play with people who don't value the game to the degree you do. What I mean by this, is by actually trying.. not doing fuckboi stupid shit because lolfunny. Actually trying to achieve, play, and mechanically understand the game. The lower you go, based off how this system works, is going to be filled with more trolly people who do not give a single fuck and the people that are obviously not capable of playing the game.. and being with that as someone who is actually trying to play the game to its actual purpose and challenge just sucks ass. It's like joining any varsity team in a school, if you have players on your team that are late/no shows to practice, and half ass the game.. it's going to be extremely hard to win the game, and if anything get notice by any college recruiter. Difference is, with varsity teams and such, you can literally cut people.. with in-game pugs, you're stuck with them.

Buut, i'm not saying these people complaining are not terrible at the game.. they're probably not good.. but I have some ounce of sympathy when they get stuck with shitters.. because even at high rank, it still happens. You get stuck with the guys who are the never wrong gods at the game, or they're the best to ever grace the game, only to blame others for faults but with no fault of their own. Either way, I always get a joyous kick when someone like a dps argues we need another tank or healer but doesn't change himself, or cries about we need better dps, demands a dps role.. gets it.. and gets ass blasted for the rest of the game and blames everyone else still. Pretty good shit, if I don't say myself.

spronk

FPS noob
after playing 10 games to place I only play qp, just prefer how much faster the games go and no one ever rages at losses. I totally could see blizzard tweaking comp in season 2 or 3 so that the first 5 or 10 losses per day do not drop your rank - that way people who play casually still can rank up and not be bothered by their losses, and people who want to grind out rank (streamers) can do so and bear the brunt of rank play

still, with battlefield 1 and titanfall 2 coming soon, wonder if OW will maintain its dominant position or not

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
5 or 10 games a day in ranked is a LOT for a casual player, and ignoring losses would make rank meaningless as you could just play 5 games a day and your visible rating would always go up, even if your invisible MMR never changed. There's plenty of ways they can improve ranked but you can never just make losses not count or else it's not ranked.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I think the system they have on the way will help a bunch where you can sort of maintain a good grouping if you get with a team that works. So each day you log in, play the usual 5 or 6 terrible games with slime mold or wayward pets at the controls of your teammates, then in game 7 you get a great team and hit the button, whatever that is, and become best friends and win everything.

Derpa

Trakanon Raider
Think I'm done with comp just because of the dumb overtime coin flip shit. Needs time stamp really bad, feels bad for me on both winning and losing from sudden deaths were one side clearly played better but lost.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
It doesn't matter how awesome you think your tactics are when they quite objectively do not work. Even if I take your absurd hyperbole at face value, why do you keep repeating the same tactics if they aren't working? I'd argue that an important characterisitic of a good player is adapting to the circumstances. Maybe teams in your brackets don't need solomaster 9000 Genjis on the flank, maybe they need Lucios, Reinhardts and Soldiers playing the objective.

Tangentially, I've noticed everyone on this forum sub 50 thinks everyone but them has no idea what they're doing. Uh... you guys can't all be right, right?
even in the 50's its like that. I been hovering in the 50's and even if you adapt and they dont, its still GG. Ill be the first to admit, im not the greatest player, but i can recognize when something isnt working, but you can only do so much. You can beg and plead with your team, but if they dont want to adapt either, what can you do? i dont give a shit what tactics you use, you need a full 6 to play together.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
even in the 50's its like that. I been hovering in the 50's and even if you adapt and they dont, its still GG. Ill be the first to admit, im not the greatest player, but i can recognize when something isnt working, but you can only do so much. You can beg and plead with your team, but if they dont want to adapt either, what can you do? i dont give a shit what tactics you use, you need a full 6 to play together.
I've said this before, but let me say it again.

40 percent of your games you'll win regardless of how good or bad you play. You probably forget most of these since, duh, they're games where everything feels great. You're hitting your shots, you got some blingy medals, or you have no medals but that's fine since obviously you're amazing and finally you're playing with people just slightly better than you for a change. 40 percent you'll lose regardless of how good or bad you play. These are the games that people fixate on. Feeders, leavers, ragers. People who won't stay on objective. List goes on and on. It's true: nothing you can do except keep your head straight while going into the next game. This leaves 20 percent that you can swing if you play amazing. Or 20 percent you can lose if you're on mega retard monkey tilt and insta-locking genji and calling your teammates racial slurs within the first minute.

Even the best pros in the world aren't winning 10/10 on a smurf account (unless they're queuing as a group). Conversely, no one goes on a crazy downswing without being on monkey tilt. People good at laddering know when they're tilting and call it an early night. People bad at laddering dig deep fucking holes they have to fill back in the next day.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
In gambling psych for doing slot machine math, you tweak the volatility to make the wins and losses less or more streaky. If you do it right it smooths out over time based on what kind of players you think will be playing, what the pay tables are etc.

Overwatch matches take awhile, so the volatility really kicks you in the teeth. In slots, biofeedback would show almost the same signals between a win and an almost win. I'd be curious if it is the same with a game like this.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I've said this before, but let me say it again.

40 percent of your games you'll win regardless of how good or bad you play. You probably forget most of these since, duh, they're games where everything feels great. You're hitting your shots, you got some blingy medals, or you have no medals but that's fine since obviously you're amazing and finally you're playing with people just slightly better than you for a change. 40 percent you'll lose regardless of how good or bad you play. These are the games that people fixate on. Feeders, leavers, ragers. People who won't stay on objective. List goes on and on. It's true: nothing you can do except keep your head straight while going into the next game. This leaves 20 percent that you can swing if you play amazing. Or 20 percent you can lose if you're on mega retard monkey tilt and insta-locking genji and calling your teammates racial slurs within the first minute.

Even the best pros in the world aren't winning 10/10 on a smurf account (unless they're queuing as a group). Conversely, no one goes on a crazy downswing without being on monkey tilt. People good at laddering know when they're tilting and call it an early night. People bad at laddering dig deep fucking holes they have to fill back in the next day.
ooh i agree, you wont win every game. You still have tards out there that try to foce a ball into a square hole. I have a buddy in the mid 70's and he said basically the same thing, but he plays with the pro's alot though.

Cybsled

Sym on attack is ok in very situational spots. Mostly for Rein+Bastion cheese in a really hard to attack spot.