Overwatch

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think the $90m Twitch deal is why that isn't there. DotaTV is amazing tech but it does limit being able to acquire sponsors from what I understand.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
theres no reason a company like blizzard can't build what steam does with HLTV, delay the live feed by ~3 minutes and then allow people to watch it in game doing your own camera work, or switching player perspectives etc.
Depends on the tournament client, if it's connected to the main servers, or is LAN only. Would be difficult having in-client spectating and safeguarding the tournament.

League of Legends uses a Tournament client and doesn't have in-game spectating either. They would need to develop some sort of game info/data transfer from their tournament client to a spectating server you connect to, maybe it's possible, anything is possible I guess, but it certainly won't be easy. Still might open up ways to disrupt the tournament client.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Should have a separate stream for each player viewpoint.

I kind of agree. It's more than that though. One of the thing that I find interesting about OWL is how they are trying to copy traditional NA pro sports league in the setup but also in the presentation. It's truly an interesting experience.

I think they are failing to take advantage of their medium though. It's all digital, they could do so much more with the presentation, and options they could give to the viewer.

Being able to select a player viewpoint is one example. I would love to have the overhead display with the position of the players on at all time when watching a match. Allow me to have the viewpoint of a player in a small window while I watch the main window...or multiple viewpoint if I want. Allow me to view replays at anytime(last 15-30secs) from any viewpoint.

Make the game file available so I can watch the game inside Overwatch, and select the camera angle I want.

I know Jeff mentioned the tools are not there yet, not easy enough to use for regular people.

This is where they can offer a superior product than regular sports league., by offering a more customizable viewing experience...and it's possible since all of it is digital.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I kind of agree. It's more than that though. One of the thing that I find interesting about OWL is how they are trying to copy traditional NA pro sports league in the setup but also in the presentation. It's truly an interesting experience.

I think they are failing to take advantage of their medium though. It's all digital, they could do so much more with the presentation, and options they could give to the viewer.

Being able to select a player viewpoint is one example. I would love to have the overhead display with the position of the players on at all time when watching a match. Allow me to have the viewpoint of a player in a small window while I watch the main window...or multiple viewpoint if I want. Allow me to view replays at anytime(last 15-30secs) from any viewpoint.

Make the game file available so I can watch the game inside Overwatch, and select the camera angle I want.

I know Jeff mentioned the tools are not there yet, not easy enough to use for regular people.

This is where they can offer a superior product than regular sports league., by offering a more customizable viewing experience...and it's possible since all of it is digital.

VR!

Imagine the production of eSports 5-10 years from now, it's going to be insane.

LoL did the digital dragon at the stadium.
Imagine watching with VR headsets
360 degree youtube video streams
Not counting any in-game spectating/replay tech that is already prevalent in many games

Tenks

Depends on the tournament client, if it's connected to the main servers, or is LAN only. Would be difficult having in-client spectating and safeguarding the tournament.

League of Legends uses a Tournament client and doesn't have in-game spectating either. They would need to develop some sort of game info/data transfer from their tournament client to a spectating server you connect to, maybe it's possible, anything is possible I guess, but it certainly won't be easy. Still might open up ways to disrupt the tournament client.

AFAIK the tournament realm for OWL is offline LAN. It has the ability to run older patches than what goes live. While you could set up edge servers to federate the game updates to multiple spectating clients it would be super difficult for the OW client to be able to support multiple versions since the way it works is the server just tells the client about updates and if the two aren't speaking the same patch it just wouldn't work. Same reason why major new Starcraft patches would brick old Starcraft replay files.

Tenks

Individual player cams would screw with production. The casters would often be talking about things going on which you aren't seeing on screen but also production would have to support 12 more streams. It seems like more hassle than what people would probably consume. It isn't like in the NFL you can get a fixated camera just following Jalen Ramsey for Sunday.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
AFAIK the tournament realm for OWL is offline LAN. It has the ability to run older patches than what goes live. While you could set up edge servers to federate the game updates to multiple spectating clients it would be super difficult for the OW client to be able to support multiple versions since the way it works is the server just tells the client about updates and if the two aren't speaking the same patch it just wouldn't work. Same reason why major new Starcraft patches would brick old Starcraft replay files.

Yea I wasn't even considering patches etc, I don't think it's really necessary or worth it. They could make the spectating client use the same patch as the tournament, it would simply have a connection from the in-game client to get to the spectating server. Still unnecessary. Can't make ad revenue from in-game spectating... unless........ ads in the spectating client.... and commercials eventually... lol.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I like OWL mimics real sport, they even have a team(Dallas Fuel) like in the pros that just buys "stars" but get nothing done. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, they just signed "names" who aren't that great of players in comparison to others in the league. London is going to eat them alive.

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
people saying mercy is boring must be in plat or lower...

dodging a tracer all game by bouncing around and using objects to bump you into the air with spacebar = fun

being a mercy means you are the shot caller (because your game is slower paced and you have more situational awareness), and imo that is what makes her fun

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
So the Korean teams...Seoul, London and New York are all undefeated. I have a feeling the season will end with all 3 being undefeated except for the games against each other.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Go Gadiators :)

Surefour's versatility is pretty amazing, he might not be the best on anything, but he’s extremely good on a lot of heroes. Helped his team a lot on Lijiang, allowing for triple DPS, and then switching to tank when that stopped working.