Overwatch

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing about playing Mercy in Silver is no one will protect you. Sometimes the other team will ignore you, but if they focus you it's game over.

PTR was taken down yesterday, so hopefully the Mercy changes go live on Tuesday.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you're mechanically ordinary (fps experience) and you just play objectives and strong picks, you'll expect to be around low gold. In silver is when I see people who aren't great mechanically (poor tracking, slow reactions, reaaally high sens/low sens, no gamesense, stupid picks). I can't even lose games to get into bronze when I just fuck around on mei freezing people at spawn, so I assume bronze is kids/women/older people.

AHh ok, that's interesting. I do have plenty of FPS experience. But since i started playing OW a week or so ago i had only played FPS on Consoles (with controllers obv) for the past decade. I was actually fairly curious how i would do on keyboard/mouse after not playing it much since the early 00s.

I do have a ton of experience playing high level healing on raids in wow. Perhaps more importantly I spent years as a "logistics (Healers) Fleet commander") in eve online. It may not seem very similar but it really is in a way. Positioning and knowing where/who to heal and reacting to opponents actions.... I've spent years building these instincts..

It definitely makes a difference as for example Mercy's positioning, Guardian angel ability, and reflexes for healing/dmg boost come very naturally to me. I seriously feel there's something to where if your used to playing a certain roll in games your instincts evolve that way. Like I just can't use aggressive characters quick move nearly as well as an example. I tried using MCree the other day and it just felt like i ould rarely line up those shots or use his quick move well..

Recently I've bee trying Roadhog hoping to have another character/roll i can fill in competitive. I get pretty solid but it's always sorta random as the healers in most matches i join are bad enough to make me want to start playing mercy again

Also people who rage through the roof and go to Troll Town for a few hours. Pretty much everyone sub Gold has serious tilt issues that they can't or won't address. At least, in my group of friends.

Sorry but what are "tilt" issue?

How do you guys feel about Lucio? I see him played alot recently even i'f i playing mercy. I don't mind too much... Especially if the guy playing is decent and i'm being counted on to main heal. But man they can seem useless sometimes when they are the main healer.. Like I got Gold healing with Roadhog twice in QM with Lucio as our only support and an barely recall ever getting healing outside Roadhogs self ability.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I've hit gold healing as Lucio when there's a Mercy on the team. It's pretty easy with the AOE heal but it's dependent on the map and team.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
From what I've seen they can get decent healing numbers.

I just feel the way the Lucio heals works(as an Aoe) Makes it far less effective. At least i the hands of the great majority of people. A mercy can do a fantastic job of making sure a Roadhog can consistently take big time dmg and still be able to fight at the front lines... Lucio not so much.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Playing medic in team fortress helped me with mercy but also playing 5v5 wow arena did.. had RMPLS (rogue/mage/priest/warlock/shaman) where you could get "globabled" aka killed in one lined up shot from all 5 people if you were out of place. In wow lot of the part of getting higher ranked was knowing your surroundings and where your line of sight is to others and its similar here.

As for mcree, you need to practice to be good at him usually. I don't really practice besides warming up/playing him in quickplay but I had a friend who was 3600 rated mcree/widow and he said he would practice this one CSGO mod for 2 hours everyday it was just computer characters moving in random directions that would only die to headshots. He also taught me to get a higher refresh rate monitor and max out my FPS so the "screen tearing" when you move your camera was minimal so you could accurately "track" your target with your mouse since mcree is hitscan aka shots land right when you click fire.

But I usually can get away with just playing soldier since hes more forgiving on misses, although i prefer deadeye for mercy ult. Not real fond of lucio, people need to be in his radius to get healed and it can be slow but he is hard to kill, is good for getting to the point on a game opener and has a good counter ult but I like zen over lucio since it's easier to contribute to kills.

Roadhog is pretty fun, I watched this video where guy showed me a crosshair setup that as long as you track the person in this circular crosshair you usually land your hook. It's at 10:50

Araxen

My first one:

O67rih9.png

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Not that he's awful etc but I'd stay away from Lucio outside of boop maps. He just.. exists. Doesn't contribute a lot and doesn't have the burst healing to save people.

The biggest difference between gold and below isn't better aim or game play its that people will be on vc, they'll call out flankers (especially reaper), and they'll combo ults. In silver and below people just fire off ults at random, often totally wasting them. You're not going to easily climb out of silver without turning on voice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Boston with the upset!

Whenever I see a flex tank I've never heard of I think "You could have had Zappis you fool", but Note kicked ass. Really good at protecting teammates. Every time the camera was on him he was great.

Araxen

TLDR: Report system has helped, but has a bit to go. They are policing YouTube and social media and suspending people based off that. Scatter is getting changed somehow or flat out replaced. Mei adjustments coming, but she will not get a rework just some minor tweaks. She's a niche hero. Symmetra is a hero they are discussing internally. Nothing concrete for her other than tweaks. They seem ok with her being an extreme niche pick.

Last edited:

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Sorry but what are "tilt" issue?

To be "tilted" means emotion is affecting your game-play. Typically negative emotions from losing, but people tilt from win streaks too -- start playing more reckless, etc etc. The math for gaining rank in games is something like this:

45 percent of the games you play you'll win no matter what you do. Teammates playing well/sober/on comfort picks/high morale.
45 percent of the games you play you'll lose no matter what you do. Your teammates are playing poorly/drunk AF//fucked into playing Mercy for the 3rd game//furious.

keep in mind that your teammates are all approximately as skilled as you are.

10 percent of the games actually come down to how well you outperform the 5th man on the other team and tip that scale.

When people tilt, they shit all over that crucial 10 percent to ranking up -- now they're a detriment rather than a boon and that old maxim "Statistically, if you think you're getting 4 shitters on your team then the other team has 5 shitters." is no longer true.

People tilt in all strata of the hierarchy, but, in my personal experience, everyone in the lower decile has emotional issues that are holding them back... which is unfortunate since out of all the skills necessary to improve and perform consistently... actual real-life character development is probably the most unobtainable.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just my thoughts on possible Mercy Nerfs the guy is talking about. Since I guess i'm sort of become one of those "Mercy mains" dude is talking about.

I wouldn't mind if they knock the cast time on rez to 2.5 secs 35sec reload. Make Valk ult only last a random 10-18 seconds. But give Caduceus staff beams both an extra 5m range at all times. Also nerf her self heal to 10-15hp a sec instead of 20 i really think that would make her much easier to kill.

Honestly i do sorta agree with Rez being very strong, to the point it probably needs a debuff. But Valk is very easy to counter. I had one match where the Soldier would just use his visor every single time i used valk and it did a very effective jo of countering that.

OTOH most of the people ho play Mercy are frankly not that good, sometimes i go through the game barely noticing them there and indeed most of my kills as Mercy are vs other Mercy. Sure shes still OK with a low skill level player. But it also requires a fairly high skill cap.

It's not the random dude's playing mercy in QP with nary an idea who are the issue, it's the people who are good enough to dart around the area never getting killed while healing/rezing constantly. I mean i'm probably an above-averagish player and I've had a few matches where i never died as Mercy and when i do it's more often then not because of an Ult. Look at those really high level players who play in coordinated groups and seem to be endlessly darting throught the air with her.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I officially hate the impact OWL has on the game.

Fuck the dual sniper on attack in Junkertown because they saw it on OWL. We don't even have an Orisa/Bastion setup for this to work like on OWL...and the fucking morons can't hit anything.

They refused to switch too...like hey idiots did you actually watch the entire game, they don't run dual sniper the entire match.

Fuck these idiots..

/rant over

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Not that he's awful etc but I'd stay away from Lucio outside of boop maps. He just.. exists. Doesn't contribute a lot and doesn't have the burst healing to save people.

The biggest difference between gold and below isn't better aim or game play its that people will be on vc, they'll call out flankers (especially reaper), and they'll combo ults. In silver and below people just fire off ults at random, often totally wasting them. You're not going to easily climb out of silver without turning on voice.

Voice chat is completely overvalued at low tiers. Its mostly just people raging, talking inccessently, tilting the team, calling out wrong shit. Yeah you can call out flankers, but people are so slow to react, process information, or have already trickle deathed that it doesn't matter.

The biggest difference in gold and the tiers below it is 100% mechanical ability and hero choice/situational hero choice. If your mechanics are decent and you pick appropriate heroes for the map/enemy team/relative hero power, you will climb much faster than relying on your *silver* team mates to try to coordinate anything. Have you ever watched silver streamers? Their comms are abysmal to the point of being detrimental to the team.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd argue even in Masters+ comms are extremely overrated. The major purpose is only to call out enemy ults and possibly if you see a sneaky flanker. Other than that saying "Kill the mercy" or "Deal with the Pharah" helps no one.

Needless

Toe Sucker
give hanzo an arrow that pins the target to something directly behind where you hit (with a maximum range of like 2 feet or something), if you shoot their foot, pin them to the ground for a second, if you shoot a tank and mercy is behind them? pin them together for a second

heLlLl yeah, make it happen cucklan, make hanzo fun again