Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)

supertouch_sl

shitlord
It was nothing more than awful character archetypes and mindless action and it only received so much praise because Del Toro's name was attached to the project.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Who the fuck commissioned a sequel to this piece of shit? Leave the robot fighting to Michael Bay, this shit is a pathetic immitation

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It was nothing more than awful character archetypes and mindless action and it only received so much praise because Del Toro's name was attached to the project.
since the primary theme of the film was giant robos vs giant fucking monsters, what exactly were you expecting? shakespeare?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
transformers vs pacific rim, transformers will always win b/c the main character in transformers is better

and by main character i mean the voice of prime.

at least with transformers they actually fight in the daylight, even tho you can't tell one transformer from the next.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How can you even defend Pacific Rim? It was ahugedisappointment. The dialogue and plot devices were fucking laughable (yes, 'melt downs' blow up, right? let's build a wall made of the same shit they wreck on robots? yea a giant neural interface robot is fucking 'analog' using tubes. lol) and the biggest offense was that the world's farcical physics did not stay consistent with itself. How the fuck can a robot fall from at least 10K-20K feet in the air and not explodeeverywhere.

I'm not excited, the first could have been amazing (we have giant sword that decapitates... maybe we should use that first?) but instead it sucked.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
That analog thing was particularly retarded since Gypsy Danger used a plasma based weapon that had already been shown to cause EMP bursts. All they ahd to say was it was specifically hardened against emp. And yeah the fall was retarded too. However I still like the movie because of the awesome fights.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That analog thing was particularly retarded since Gypsy Danger used a plasma based weapon that had already been shown to cause EMP bursts. All they ahd to say was it was specifically hardened against emp. And yeah the fall was retarded too. However I still like the movie because of the awesome fights.
Honestly the fights were really disappointing to. I want to see giant fucking robots annihilate shit, not get into a slapfight with ships and then go 'oh fuck, I forgot, we DO have weapons!'

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are you guys butthurt anime fans or something? Why such hate for such a simplistic film?
Honestly, I was hoping for the closest thing to MechWarrior/WH40K Titans in a major movie. Giving a pass for the Anime themed story was consorting with the devil just to see giant robots killing things.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Are you guys butthurt anime fans or something? Why such hate for such a simplistic film?
Because it didn'thaveto be. The changes needed to prevent the idiocy in the movie would have been minor, and would only have required about 10 minutes of real, legitimate criticism and then thought, to fix. And I'm saying this as someone who liked the movie, a lot. It's a movie my inner child adores; but it's incredibly disappointing that we, as a viewing audience, came within a hair of having some truly epic--and instead what we got was a "popcorn" flick.

Cybsled

Which is all the more reason to make Hellboy 3.

EZ plot for them to make money: Hellboy + Liz have their 2 hybrid demon/human kids with pyrokinetic abilities, but they're both still retired from the bureau (although they still try to recruit them). It is discovered the nazis have a secret robot-cyborg army hidden in China (that is the key to funding the movie) + Rasputen's ghost helping them. Queue some plot point where if they can snag/kill the kids of Hellboy, they can trigger the Apocalypse because of reasons and the cyborg nazis can rule the world /w Cthulu's blessing. Insert epic nazi robot fights and old god shit, culminating with Hellboy going final form. Hellboy wins vs evil in the end.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Because it didn'thaveto be. The changes needed to prevent the idiocy in the movie would have been minor, and would only have required about 10 minutes of real, legitimate criticism and then thought, to fix. And I'm saying this as someone who liked the movie, a lot. It's a movie my inner child adores; but it's incredibly disappointing that we, as a viewing audience, came within a hair of having some truly epic--and instead what we got was a "popcorn" flick.
ok lets go over what some people did not like about it.

too dark? thats up for debate, i was able to see the action just fine.

characters too one dimensional or corny? this i will agree with, each team from different countries acted like stereotypes, but while i agree with that, i did not care how cliche some of them were because i was there to see giant robots vs giant monsters. as a kid growing up on voltron , G-force and the Shogun warriors, pacific rim followed the same basic tragic backstories of characters which brought them to the team. maybe you guys are used to more in depth storylines between the human counterparts, but when i was little and probably del toro too, the main focus of those cartoons was never the humans, but the monster attack and the teamwork involved by the humans working together with the robot/ship to defeat it.

people dont like that the jaegers had weapons or tactics that they waited til the end to use instead of doing it in the first place? well it would not make for a very entertaining movie if the jaeger just sat at the opening and sliced and diced kaijus as they popped out.

if anyone else has a complaint i have not covered, i would like to hear it.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not knowing how movies are made, I assume the reason so much CGI is done at night has something to do with having to code in the sun and everything that comes from that? Or is it just a simple matter of being able to hide things or cut corners when its a darker/nighttime scene.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
using night and/or rain to showcase CGI is a popular trick animators use to hide uncanny valleys in their models. it works rather well like in cloverfield, jurassic park and the new godzilla, but sometimes it still looks like shit as in the 1998 godzilla. its also cooler to have a giant monster attacking at night because it is harder to spot or identify what it is. people also have a fear of the dark.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
people dont like that the jaegers had weapons or tactics that they waited til the end to use instead of doing it in the first place? well it would not make for a very entertaining movie if the jaeger just sat at the opening and sliced and diced kaijus as they popped out.

if anyone else has a complaint i have not covered, i would like to hear it.
That's not how you do this shit. This is like 'super powers 101'. You have the protagonist easily defeat lesser baddies to establish badassery. Through the course of the movie, the enemies eventually become tougher. At some point a main antagonist arrives and causes concern. Perhaps they battle once or twice but events cause them to disengage... the scene is set for a later battle. Eventually the protagonist grows in skills/power/whatever while dealing with machinations of the evil plot until a climactic showdown with the main antagonist, though they are still the underdog.

IE, you make the challenges tougher, you don't just fucking have the main characters 'forget' about integral parts of their own existence (such as weapons on their mechs).