Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)

Cybsled

Ya, dark is basically to remove the uncanny valley effect. When it is dark, we basically are conditioned to understand we will be seeing less detail in something. In full on daylight, imperfections in CGI are more readily apparent to the audience. Hell, forget CGI, it pretty much is the same for any practical effect as well. A rubber-suit xenomorph in the dark look more convincing, for instance.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Swear I read years ago that they stumbled on to the whole "rain makes it look more real" thing on accident when making Jurassic Park 1.

And they didn't want to unleash their full power right away on the Kaiju because they were being engineered to counter the weapons used. If they busted out a sword on the first Kaiju the next one would have anti-sword weapons.

It's like how when you guys are with someone new, you don't give him a reacharound the first time, you want to unleash that secret grip your uncle taught you when he least expects it.

Basically Pacific Rim was the perfect movie in every way.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the jaegers at the time were using decent weapons. thats why the kaiju attacks were becoming more frequent and more powerful. was no need to use the sword, when it was used at the end it was something they tried as kinda at the last resort. there could be a number of other explanations as to why they did not use the sword previously. maybe the sword was defective, maybe it was too resource intensive. maybe they didnt think it would be as effective as it was, etc.

Oldbased

> Than U
I always thought it was a upgrade done with Mako, but he still should have known about it drifting thoughts and all.
Then again, not sure why people tear apart little facts when dealing with giant robots and alien monsters. It's like screaming Jaba the hut is fake when the whole goddamn thing is fake.

Sit back and enjoy the show.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
the jaegers at the time were using decent weapons. thats why the kaiju attacks were becoming more frequent and more powerful. was no need to use the sword, when it was used at the end it was something they tried as kinda at the last resort. there could be a number of other explanations as to why they did not use the sword previously. maybe the sword was defective, maybe it was too resource intensive. maybe they didnt think it would be as effective as it was, etc.
I'm looking forward to your fanfic graphic novel to explore these gaps in the movie plot.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i dont need to make a fanfic novel because its not a detail that concerns me. if you start questioning one minor detail, then you might as well question them all, then why bother watching a movie about giant monster and giant robots if you cant accept anything else?

-edit
and people are actually questioning these kinds of monsters

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Except, that's not it at all--if they were able to build a mathematical formula off of the increases of attacks, then it stands to reason there was no extraneous variable, like weapons, that was affecting it. It was merely an exponential progression until the time between attacks reached a horizon where two would occur at once. Also, no--it has nothing to do with the Kaiju "adapting". The plasma weaponry on Gypsy was considered an "old" weapon by the final fight, and the most evolved Kaiju got his shit blown out by it. The reality is, from everything we've seen, the Kaiju merely go through more iterations to make them better in general vs humans, much like the Jaeger's constantly got upgraded to make them better vs Kaiju. Just one is using biological, while the other is mechanical.

But the big thing is? YOU, shouldn't be filling in that blank, Chuk. 30 seconds of exposition could have answered that question (Which is why I said 10 minutes of criticism, followed by edits, would have fixed it). TheLACKof the answer IS the problem, understand? It's not that we can't "think" of one, I can pull 20 out of my ass right now if I wanted. It's the fact that the director or writer didn't think of one. Which just shows that the actual story, was subservient to whatever got the big robots back on the screen again. Which, consequently, made, me at least, care less about the fights--so when dumb things happened in the fight, it was just another eye roll.

The worst part of that mentality, that "the story doesn't matter", is what produced the bland, one dimensional characters we didn't care about. Fuck me, the only reason I even cared WHO died was because I was like "Oh man, Stringer Bell died!". Because the character he was playing in this was so boring, so cliche and so unispired that I couldn't care less about him.Onlythe fact that I knew the actor from another show even gave me a reason to notice that he sacrificed himself, and that's only because I was sad he wasn't going to be in the sequel.

I'm fine with stupid "lapses" in the science or logic of stories. Every movie is filled with them. But you can ignore them in movies and stories where there are other hooks. In movies where it's JUST eye candy, they become a lot more glaring. That was Pacific Rims problem. That's why the audience latches on to the things like weapon use timing, and other small details--because the fight scenes were the ONLY thing on this movies' menu and so they were dissected to the point of tedium--the audience was like a bunch of starving people breaking apart the bones of this movie to suck out the marrow.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Except, that's not it at all--if they were able to build a mathematical formula off of the increases of attacks, then it stands to reason there was no extraneous variable, like weapons, that was affecting it. It was merely an exponential progression until the time between attacks reached a horizon where two would occur at once. Also, no--it has nothing to do with the Kaiju "adapting". The plasma weaponry on Gypsy was considered an "old" weapon by the final fight, and the most evolved Kaiju got his shit blown out by it. The reality is, from everything we've seen, the Kaiju merely go through more iterations to make them better in general vs humans, much like the Jaeger's constantly got upgraded to make them better vs Kaiju. Just one is using biological, while the other is mechanical.

But the big thing is? YOU, shouldn't be filling in that blank, Chuk. 30 seconds of exposition could have answered that question. The LACK of the answer IS the problem, understand? It's not that we can't "think" of one, I can pull 20 out of my ass right now if I wanted. It's the fact that the director or writer didn't think of one. Which just shows that the actual story, was subservient to whatever got the big robots back on the screen again. Which, consequently, made, me at least, care less about the fights--so when dumb things happened in the fight, it was just another eye roll.

The worst part of that mentality, came up is what produced the bland, one dimensional characters we didn't care about. Fuck me, the only reason I even cared WHO died was because I was like "Oh man, Stringer Bell died!". Because the character he was playing in this was so boring, so cliche and so unispired that I couldn't care less about him.Onlythe fact that I knew the actor from another show even gave me a reason to notice that he sacrificed himself, and that's only because I was sad he wasn't going to be in the sequel.

I'm fine with stupid "lapses" in the science or logic of stories. Every movie is filled with them. But you can ignore them in movies and stories where there are other hooks. In movies where it's JUST eye candy, they become a lot more glaring. That was Pacific Rims problem. That's why the audience latches on to the things like weapon use timing, and other small details--because the fight scenes were the ONLY thing on this movies' menu and so they were dissected to the point of tedium--the audience was like a bunch of starving people breaking apart the bones of this movie to suck out the marrow.
what you and palum are not getting about my post was, that it is so easy to explain away why they have a sword that worrying about where it comes from doesnt matter. does it matter to you? does it matter where they have the resources to construct such powerful mechs in a short time? does it matter that something like a kaiju cant possible exist because it would be crushed under the weight of itself? a giant mech has a sword because it has a sword. thats why. how far do you want to take this?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
what you and palum are not getting about my post was, that it is so easy to explain away why they have a sword that worrying about where it comes from doesnt matter. does it matter to you? does it matter where they have the resources to construct such powerful mechs in a short time? does it matter that something like a kaiju cant possible exist because it would be crushed under the weight of itself? a giant mech has a sword because it has a sword. thats why. how far do you want to take this?
Yes Chuk, all of that mattered because, as I said.

The less story and interesting characters you have, the more "small" things stand out. Of course I wondered why the fuck would they build mechs; and how they managed to get the resources together for a huge wall, but somehow could not sustain mech production.

Is this minutia? Yes, yes it is. But if the main course, the story and characters, had been properly prepared, then we wouldn't be worried about the table scraps. However, since there was literally NOTHING else besides the fight scenes; the small details that went unexplained, and that made them seem illogical, all the sudden became huge beacons of badness. Or let me use the food analogy again--If I go to a restaurant and drop 45$ on a meal, and all they give me is a baked potato--it better be the best god damn potato I'veevereaten, ANY flaw in it is going to piss me off; because it's all I have to focus on. (So, no, its not about the flaws specifically. You don't think Star Wars, or Dark Knight or tons of other films have JUST as many flaws? They do, hundreds of them. But because those movies are so robust, nit picking their flaws, when our imaginations have been so well satiated, is never done.)

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yes Chuk, all of that mattered because, as I said.

The less story and interesting characters you have, the more "small" things stand out. Of course I wondered why the fuck would they build mechs; and how they managed to get the resources together for a huge wall, but somehow could not sustain mech production.

Is this minutia? Yes, yes it is. But if the main course, the story and characters, had been properly prepared, then we wouldn't be worried about the table scraps. However, since there was literally NOTHING else besides the fight scenes; the small details that went unexplained, and that made them seem illogical, all the sudden became huge beacons of badness. Or let me use the food analogy again--If I go to a restaurant and drop 45$ on a meal, and all they give me is a baked potato--it better be the best god damn potato I'veevereaten, ANY flaw in it is going to piss me off; because it's all I have to focus on. (So, no, its not about the flaws specifically. You don't think Star Wars, or Dark Knight or tons of other films have JUST as many flaws? They do, hundreds of them. But because those movies are so robust, nit picking their flaws, when our imaginations have been so well satiated, is never done.)
lets use your 45 dollar potato analogy. in fact this potato is in a restaurant that only serves potatoes and they all cost 45 dollars. not only is the potato organically produced by genius potato farmers from ireland. its topped with the finest, cheese/sour cream/chives/garlic/butter. everyone in the restaurant has a potato like yours. when you cut yours open all of a sudden a bright green light flashes from the inside and a small leprechaun appears in front of you. he then starts dancing around on the table and singing "oy laddie, today be your lucky day, sure an begorah i give ye a bit of gold to enjoy wit yar partatah!" all of a sudden you notice you now have a lump of gold in the palm of your hand. the leprechaun smiles at you and then blinks out of existence.

as you stare in wonderment, you notice people at all the other tables are also spawning potato leprechauns singing and handing out single lumps of gold. the place is abuzz over it. you wave the waitress over to your table. you ask her, "what gives, i ordered this potato and a leprechaun appeared and handed me a lump of gold?" the waitress nods in agreement and says "yeah these potatoes do that" you then ask , "this is a potato though, how can a leprechaun appear from one?" the waitress says again, these potatoes do that" . you start getting mad., "i want to know how a leprechaun can appear out of a potato and i want to know now!" everyone else in the restaurant is looking at you in disbelief because you just paid 45 dollars for the best potato in the world, you even got a leprechaun to pop out of it to present you with a lump of gold and you are yelling about how such a thing is possible. now you jump out of your chair walk out the door leaving your potato uneaten and lump of gold sitting on the table.

this is how you sound with pacific rim.
smile.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
lets use your 45 dollar potato analogy. in fact this potato is in a restaurant that only serves potatoes and they all cost 45 dollars. not only is the potato organically produced by genius potato farmers from ireland. its topped with the finest, cheese/sour cream/chives/garlic/butter. everyone in the restaurant has a potato like yours. when you cut yours open all of a sudden a bright green light flashes from the inside and a small leprechaun appears in front of you. he then starts dancing around on the table and singing "oy laddie, today be your lucky day, sure an begorah i give ye a bit of gold to enjoy wit yar partatah!" all of a sudden you notice you now have a lump of gold in the palm of your hand. the leprechaun smiles at you and then blinks out of existence.

as you stare in wonderment, you notice people at all the other tables are also spawning potato leprechauns singing and handing out single lumps of gold. the place is abuzz over it. you wave the waitress over to your table. you ask her, "what gives, i ordered this potato and a leprechaun appeared and handed me a lump of gold?" the waitress nods in agreement and says "yeah these potatoes do that" you then ask , "this is a potato though, how can a leprechaun appear from one?" the waitress says again, these potatoes do that" . you start getting mad., "i want to know how a leprechaun can appear out of a potato and i want to know now!" everyone else in the restaurant is looking at you in disbelief because you just paid 45 dollars for the best potato in the world, you even got a leprechaun to pop out of it to present you with a lump of gold and you are yelling about how such a thing is possible. now you jump out of your chair walk out the door leaving your potato uneaten and lump of gold sitting on the table.

this is how you sound with pacific rim.
smile.png
My god Astro; how do you miss points by such a large margin? You realize I used apotatobecause it's considered a side dish, and kind of boring, even if you dress it up. What you just described in that, what must be LCD laced analogy, would have been amind blowingexperience. Which was theOPPOSITEof what I was conveying.NOTHINGin this movie was "mind blowing". Nothing made me "stare in wonderment". If the movie had produced the effect that would happen in your analogy, you are god damn right I wouldn't be complaining--but it didn't, it was just well done CGI, I've seen it before and I'll see it more in the future.

Were you really that impressed with the pretty lights? Maybe that's where our disconnect is. The CGI was adequate enough for me to fulfill my childish quotient of big robots pouncing monsters in the face; but it wasn't very satisfying for, you know, the rest of my brain. Nothing in it impressed me more than most of the fight scenes from Transformers, or god damn 20 year old Jurassic Park. Nothing that would be the equivalent of something near miraculous like a Leprachaun giving me a god damn gold hand job.

Hence the anaology. I got arealgood potato, sure. The fights were well done and visually satisfying--and much like a potato, I CAN be satisfied with it (I'm not a snob). But at the end of the day,it was JUST a fucking potato--just like no matter how much CGI Del Toro did, it was still JUST special effects; like icing without a cake. Maybe if Del Toro had been able to program the CGI so that I would have gotten a virtual blow job when Japanese girl was eye fucking the Sons of Anarchy guy; I'd agree that it was the equivalent of a leprechaun offering me gold. Because, you know, that would have been memorable; but this was just another CGI fest, added to a long list of great special effects movies--absolutely nothing special.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
lol dude you are getting all bent out of shape over a pota...... robot vs monster movie because it added a little something something without explanation. my "LCD" laced analogy was me telling you in a very nice way to lighten up Francis and sit back and enjoy the movie.

and yes i was being racist against the irish!

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
lol dude you are getting all bent out of shape over a pota...... robot vs monster movie because it added a little something something without explanation. my "LCD" laced analogy was me telling you in a very nice way to lighten up Francis and sit back and enjoy the movie.

and yes i was being racist against the irish!
It didn't add anything, that's the point. It had pretty CGI; all action movies have pretty CGI. However, since that's the ONLY thing it brought to the table, of course we focus on that. There wasn't anything else to comment on, because the rest of the movie was terrible, if there weren't big CGI battles, this wouldn't even have been a decent B movie (Like he obviously tries to emulate). You make it sound like THIS CGI was something special and awesome, but it wasn't. It was really good, yes, but welcome to the modern age, nearly two decades of films have done this already.

The reason your analogy blew my mind, in a bad way, is because you make it sound like this was Star Wars, 2001 or something--where the Special Effects weresorevolutionary compared to what was done before, that the shock and awe from them alone, was akin to something magical. Theyweren't. They were good, that's it. Hence the Potato, thing--it was just a side comment about how apotato is a potato, even if you dress it up--CGI is just CGI. But then you went off on your LSD analogy essentially saying Pacific Rim was like a gate way to a mythical world where magical beings jump through and shower you with gold (Which, WOULD make itmind blowing). CGI would need to deliver auto-hand jobs when the protagonist wins a fight before I'm that invested in just special effects. Until then, movies like this are just mildly enjoyable DVD fodder. (Which would be fine, but like I said, I enjoyed this, but the problem was this came SO close to being really good--but ended up as just "good CGI". )

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dude potatoes are awesome. Hate on pacific rim if you must but leave potatoes alone.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think you've hit on a gold mine of an advertising idea for Idaho potatoes.