Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Talking about Europeans eating more butter and being healthier doesn't take into account overall diets and generally healthier lifestyles. If you eat more butter but less overall shitty processed food you might be better off overall but that doesn't make butter suddenly into ambrosia.
Isn't this the whole idea of the diet?

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
What about Asians? Pretty much all they eat is rice, and they live forever.
That one to me calls into question "low carb" part of all this and points more to sugar being the big issue. A lot of Paleo people are into the Ketosis/Low Carb thing and I still believe that's only good short term for fat loss. I only go low carb when I'm cutting.

I think Paleo proponents would say "Asians eat less sugar so less insulin resistance and rice isn't so bad compared to highly refined and processed carbs"

Primal Blueprint, Perfect Health Diet and other paleo-based plans say rice is fairly innocuous. It's not so much bad, it's just not really optimal food. There are better foods to eat.

They mostly have a hard on about wheat and highly processed/refined grains.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
- I feel like a lot of doctors forget the old adage "The difference between medicine and poison is the dosage", doctors at first recommended eliminating(or reducing to near negligible) things like saturated fats, seemingly ignoring the possibility of thresholds, eating between X and Y is healthy, below X or above Y is not, again, the kind of thing that needs to be studied.
Did we? I think the public didn't hear things correctly. I believe the old advice was "Eat a diet low in fats, low in calories, and exercise regularly." America only seemed to hear "Eat low fat", and then ate thousands of calories per day full of sugars, etc. There may have been certain statements by certain groups, but I'd be interested in seeing a history of dietary recommendations made by the American Medical Association and the American Diabetic Association.

Celestein_sl said:
- Lastly I feel like a lot of doctors forget the personal medical histories of their patients when making these blanket statements. For example @ aychamo, If you were my doctor and brought this up, I'd probably point out that my entire family eats a high fat diet and has no known instances of CVD(and we often live into the 90s/100s), however we do have a staggering rate of diabetes in the last two generations that eat a lot more sugar. So well I'd probably consider your advice about changing the *kind* of fat I'm eating, I would probably continue eating a low carb diet, because for my personal history, the risk of CVD is near negligible but the risk of diabetes is real. Ultimately, even if I end up consuming tons of saturated fats, it might end up being a safer option for me(just not the ideal option).
I actually completely agree with you. My "blanket statement" is very specific: "replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats reduces the rates of cardiovascular disease." I'm not saying eliminate all saturated fats (I had a juicy delicious burger last night), and I'm not saying that saturated fats are the devil. I'm just echoing the literature that demonstrates the health benefits from replacing SFAs with PUFAs. I am in no way advocating the consumption of large amounts of carbohydrates. And I'm not recommending a life style or a whole diet plan. I actually completely agree with the bulk of what's in this thread, which is eating home cooked meals and avoiding processed shitty food.

Regarding your specific family, the details are always much more complicated. Your family may metabolize lipids in such a way that absolutely minimizes your chance of heart disease. My grandfather is 95, still eats fried foods every day, and is completely healthy. I actually really don't counsel people on dietary changes. I know the science and the recommendations, but I simply don't have time to sit with a patient for 30-60 minutes and discuss their meals, tell them that drinking twelve sugary Cokes per day is not good for them, etc. I can give a good 1-2 minutes of advice, and then send them for dietary counseling with a registered dietician and send them home with educational materials.

Truth be told, a whole lot of patient's aren't remotely motivated to improve their diet. They'd rather just increase their medication. You can tell so many of them whatever you can to try to help them be healthy, improve their life, and scare them about their upcoming morbidity. But you can't not give them more medicine when they've chosen to be unhealthy. However, this practice will likely change soon. Recently a doctor was found 10% guilty (yes, ie, at fault for 10% of what happened) in a malpractice lawsuit because a non-compliant diabetic did not pick up his medication from the pharmacy and take it. Yes, the doctor prescribed the medicine, but the patient did not pick it up and use it, and the patient ended up losing his foot. Obviously the patient had a history of being noncompliant with his medication, and what's the doctor to do but say "You really need to take this. Why are you not picking it up? Please pick up the medication and use it." The trial apparently found that the doctor should have ensured that the patient actually went to the pharmacy and picked up his medication. Which of course is absolutely fucking ridiculous and an impossible task. But since that precedent has been set, there will be a growing trend to more readily kick non-compliant patients out of clinics. Several colleagues have already started booting patients because of the results of this trial. I sure as shit don't want to get sued because some patient doesn't listen to my advice. It sucks for these patients, but nobody wants to risk a lawsuit because someone is too lazy to eat reasonably well or to take a medication.

Celestein_sl said:
Just my thoughts on the matter, I don't discount the medical literature, but I also can't draw definite conclusions from it due to the nature of how we have to study it. We need more information and I know it will not be easy(maybe not even possible) to get it(ethically).
Sadly, I think dietary advice will always be in a state of flux. Between the dissemination of bad information and the fact that many dietary studies are lower quality, trends, etc, it may take a while yet to figure things out.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If its just sugar than why are fruits okay? Is milk ok? Just start eating good and taking Test/Anavar and be a man.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Shit sticks in your head. After an episode of Archer last year I was saying "aubergine" for months without noticing it.
That happened to me with 'madrigal' a few months ago. I had never heard that word in my life and then it seemed like it was everywhere, both as it's basic definition and also as people's names, company names, etc. I swear I looked it up in the dictionary and then heard it 6 more times in the next two weeks.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If that's directed at me, I'm sure we can all figure out what I meant by "sugars."
Nah, I'm genuinely curious. I see a lot of eating regiments on bodybuilding.com stating pretty strongly to avoid fruits at all costs - but I don't.... I needs me some oranges and mangos. Also, a lot of them cut dairy out totally (yogurt, milk etc) but I don't do that shit either, as I need my greek yogurt with frozen berries.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Kind of in the vein of what I said above, fruit is technically full of "dangerous" fructose. The difference is the dosage and environment. 1 apple(assuming average size) = 1/7~ of a 20oz coke in terms of sugar content. So you need to eat 7~ apples to equal even one 20oz cola(and for most people, assuming an *otherwise* healthy lifestyle, 1 soda a day is probably pretty mild).

On top of that, the fruits have non-negligible amounts of fiber in them, fiber helps meter out food in digestion so that the insulin spike cause by the fructose is lowered or eliminated. Something that's eliminated from a lot of sugary foods.

Fruit has volume due to its high water:calorie ratio.

Lastly fruit takes time to eat, It's easy to drink a 2liter of coke, it's hard to eat 25+ apples.

So from a dieticians standpoint, it's safe to tell people to eat as much fruit as they want, because the reality is people will eat 1-4 pieces of fruit and then stop, because they feel full from a combination of fiber, volume, and time. So well from a biological standpoint it's filled with the same "dangerous" fructose, the reality of eating a fruit is that it's fairly harmless due to the circumstances.

The problem comes when you hear you can eat all the fruit you want, and then start drinking juice.
Cheers for that. All of what I've read has been bro-science.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My nutritionist used to be a big fan of pomegranates because they are fairly low in sugar/calories, high in fiber/vitamins/minerals/antioxidants and best of all, it takes a fucking hour to eat one.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
1. butter and olive oil have beneficial properties. no one is suggesting you eat a pound of butter and guzzle olive oil every day. in fact, pufas can be pretty inflammatory when taken to excess
2. it's actually easy to overeat fruits because most of them are very palatable and fructose isn't the most satiating.
3. i rarely see the paleo diet advertised as low-carb although tailoring your carb intake to your activity level is optimal. it's really as simple as eating low-carb, high-fat foods throughout the day and eating high-carb post-workout meals to restore glycogen.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
This is probably why this diet works so well. Basically high fat and high fiber foods are ~20% less caloric then previously thought.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/96/2/296.abstract
18 people. That's barely a pilot study. It may or may not have some legitimacy (and I do not have an opinion one way or the other.) It'd be wrong to look at that one study and think anything more than "hm, well that's neat." And certainly one shouldn't look at the results of such a tiny study and broadly apply it to an entire lifestyle diet. I have no idea if the methods used to estimate caloric content have any validity.

Basically, you can't look at a study of 18 people eating walnuts and say that all high fat food is 20% over estimated in caloric content.