Paleo 101: How and why you should eat like a Caveman

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love spinach. So I guess I don't have that problem.

In fact, when I make shrimp fra diavolo I have with a bed of spinach instead of pasta.
biggrin.png

Df~_sl

shitlord
Spinach wasnt the best example as I also enjoy the spinach... but basically, I go through the farmers market looking for different veggies to vary my intake and toss it in the blender (not a juicer). Sometimes kale... sometimes mustard greens, sometimes asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, legumes, beets, some nuts and seeds, whatever looks good at the time.

Pineapple and banana are very good masking agents.

Toss in some plain yogurt to thicken it up a bit... quick easy and yummy

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
A guy at work who is morbidly obese went to some calculator online and it states that he would need about 2900 calories just to maintain his weight.
You know, I always think about that when I see some of these 300+ lb fat pieces of shit. How many calories they must be consuming on a daily basis just to maintain that body weight.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I decided I wasn't getting enough fruits and veggies to make me happy... so I bought a cheap blender (Magic bullet for 12 dollars) and am now turning fruits and veggies into puree and consuming that (not sure if its drinking or eating or whatever). I do that for breakfast lunch and after lunch snack while still eating a "regular" dinner. Having my stomach get used to it was interesting... but its all gravy now.
A friend of mine does this too. He blends veggies up and drinks them for rather than taking vitamins. I would think it's a pain to have to keep using and cleaning the blender though. Unless I guess you can just throw it in the dishwasher?

The Master

Bronze Squire
A friend of mine does this too. He blends veggies up and drinks them for rather than taking vitamins. I would think it's a pain to have to keep using and cleaning the blender though. Unless I guess you can just throw it in the dishwasher?
Any decent blender can be cleaned by adding water+soap and blending it. Pour it out. Rinse. Clean blender.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
A guy at work who is morbidly obese went to some calculator online and it states that he would need about 2900 calories just to maintain his weight.
Yeah, he probably checked the box for having an "active" lifestyle or something. That makes a huge difference. The difference between sedentary and active can be 50% more calories for maintenance. Thing is, probably less than 10% of the population is actually "active" enough to justify that.

iannis

Musty Nester
Muscle burns a lot more calories than fat.

But if your friend IS morbidly obese, it probably DOES take 3000 calories to maintain his weight.

3000 calories is a lot of calories, but it's not a difficult task to hit that consumption. 1 2 liter coke is about 1000 calories.

Eating 3000 non-empty calories is more difficult but still not as difficult as you might think.

Edit: Which, I hope also obviously, is another reason why balancing a diet's constituent parts is important.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm curious if your friend did any lifting prior to his Crossfit/Paleo adventures. Not that I don't believe it's possible to look like that with them, it absolutely is. But the fact that you say he does BJJandCrossfit, I have a hard time believing his results are from his current regime. Mostly because that's a shit load of cardio to be doing to put on a significant amount of muscle. Unless he just eats like a fucking maniac.

Then again, he's not reallythatbig, either. Just low body fat. I'd guess, depending on height, 170 and 11 or 12% bodyfat.

Celebrindal

Golden Squire
Of course he lifted and ate different prior to that. Not everyone started lifting last year. The point is that is how he looks since he has done paleo and crossfit in 2009.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Most crossfit gyms are full of jacked guys and girls. I'm actually surprised by how many girls do it. You wont find many huge guys though. A lot of similar physiques to Celebrindal's buddy, which I think it's pretty ideal, assuming he also trains legs.

There's plenty of lean, strong guys about that dudes size or bigger who eat a Paleo diet. And Crossfit really doesn't produce mass monsters. It's about a balance of all your energy systems so they are like that guys size and flexible. Being big is stupid and makes no sense for life or anything else.

The argument was never that Paleo didn't "work" it was more about the fact that if he ate oatmeal and rice he'd look the exact same, and he wouldn't drop dead at age 40.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The argument was never that Paleo didn't "work" it was more about the fact that if he ate oatmeal and rice he'd look the exact same, and he wouldn't drop dead at age 40.
Who claimed that though? Feel free to eat oatmeal rice pasta bread and anything else. Yes you can still be lean. The argument is that it may be a better approach, easier to get lean, regulate blood sugar better, eliminate some mild allergy you may not be aware of, manage energy throughout the day. Not that you'll drop dead or be a different and better kind of lean and muscular.

This isnt that controversial, people get hung up on details and posturing.

The guy that won 2 years now and is currently in first in the games, he eats whatever he feels like, not paleo, but then again he could just be genetically gifted.

Who claimed that though? Feel free to eat oatmeal rice pasta bread and anything else. Yes you can still be lean. The argument is that it may be a better approach, easier to get lean, regulate blood sugar better, eliminate some mild allergy you may not be aware of, manage energy throughout the day. Not that you'll drop dead or be a different and better kind of lean and muscular.

This isnt that controversial, people get hung up on details and posturing.

The guy that won 2 years now and is currently in first in the games, he eats whatever he feels like, not paleo, but then again he could just be genetically gifted.
Dashel post:

Say my view is wrong, and say Paleo is better(you'd be a "better kind" of lean, whatever that means)

Then provide an example involving Rich Froning who doesn't eat Paleo and is currently the leading Crossfit athlete in the world, the sport that adores Paleo.

Make sure to include a disclaimer(possibly genetically gifted, which is surely true + steroids), so you cover all your bases, and partially agree with every single point of view on an argument that someone can adopt.

Wonderful.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I like grilled chicken, it's really good and good for you too.

Ark rebuttal:
You're fucking dumb because I eat shit other than chicken and I'm FINE. I mean FUCK I just ate a goddamn tortilla chip and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I wish this thread never existed. In addition here are several more denunciations of points nobody on the planet ever made. My strawmen are legion and they are pissed off.

It's like you're allergic to rational discussion.

Ark rebuttal:
You're fucking dumb because I eat shit other than chicken and I'm FINE. I mean FUCK I just ate a goddamn tortilla chip and I'm still alive to tell the tale. I wish this thread never existed. In addition here are several more denunciations of points nobody on the planet ever made. My strawmen are legion and they are pissed off.

rrr_img_20027.jpg

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>

Ark rebuttal:

Perhaps you have an uncanny ability to take a ridiculous number of insults without getting upset, but you haveneverhad a rational discussion. You have failed at every step in even beginning to properly interpret scientific literature. You fail at even reading the abstracts. You've never been able to analyze anything and come to a rational conclusion. Nice guy? Sure. Intelligent and/or rational? Nope.

Binkles_sl

shitlord
You have failed at every step in even beginning to properly interpret scientific literature. You fail at even reading the abstracts. You've never been able to analyze anything and come to a rational conclusion. Nice guy? Sure. Intelligent and/or rational? Nope.
In support of this. One study rarely supports anything. A few studies rarely support anything (in social sciences). Consider looking at the amount of studies with positive, negative, neutral/equivocal findings. Really, evaluating the sampling, methodological rigor, level of analysis, effect size, and the general body of literature are just a good start. Karl Popper/Thomas Kuhn would also be a worthwhile read.