Palworld (Pokemon with Guns and Bukkake, minus the Bukkake)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Gamepass updated to the newer version and this fixed my crashing issue on launch. I also learned to not wander around dangerous areas with a Pal that has an attitude problem as it will pick fights with things that wreck you
Does this mean Gamepass people can play with Steam people now or no?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This should be the Ark 2 Developers, after those numbers :

1706032981084.jpeg

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This gonna be a fortnite type rise for the company? I dont play this stuff but always fun to see something like this play out

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A flash in the pan imo. A fun flash in the pan, and worth the $27. But I think as more get to the mid/later game, it will fall off. Also there is a wall there, where you are done leveling, have all the gear and whats left is collecting pals for no reason but to collect.

Fortnite flipped from their original game of base building/tower defense to BR. The latter of which can last a long while as the pvp is the content, for the same reason people can play the same FPS game for years. There is no build up or prep. Each game is a brand new start and easy to jump into.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
A flash in the pan imo. A fun flash in the pan, and worth the $27. But I think as more get to the mid/later game, it will fall off. Also there is a wall there, where you are done leveling, have all the gear and whats left is collecting pals for no reason but to collect.

Fortnite flipped from their original game of base building/tower defense to BR. The latter of which can last a long while as the pvp is the content, for the same reason people can play the same FPS game for years. There is no build up or prep. Each game is a brand new start and easy to jump into.
I'm not sure what you mean by flash in the pan. This game is basically your normal JRPG. It has a story, level and gear based progression, bosses, and side quests. The major side quest just happens to be a huge collection quest.

I don't see this being any different fundamentally than a standard JRPG and I wouldn't call them flashes in a pan.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What story?

Every NPC I have talked to so far, just gives hints for the game.

There has been no story in this game what so ever. Just basically dropped in a world and you explore it , build and collect. A survival game with "pals" as your pets/workers, instead of say thralls or dinosaurs.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I see that sentiment all over the internet about this game 'lol but what does the player base look like in 2 weeks' and 'i can't wait for the abysmal dropoff as the hype ends'.

Like that actually matters even a tiny bit? This isn't a fuckin MMO lol, it's a 25$ single player game that also happens to let you run multiplayer servers for your friends.

It's better than everything that came before in this genre unless you care specifically about basebuilding minutae, which is it's weakest point by far. The basic construction blocks are there but it needs a lot of work to match the complexity of what you can build in valheim or even conan. The adventure stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other survival games though.

And don't even talk about Ark, that game was/is a fuckin scam and I will never understand how anyone put(s) up with it.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Caliane

It does need "more", for true longevity.

I heard someone mention raid bosses are already planned.

Arena's. pvp battles, and pal matches. making pal combat a bit more structured would be good.
Multi-boss dungeons.
the factions could be expanded into something. Rep grind, towns, merchants.
more expansive base building. just giving more creativity here would be huge for longevity.

combining and breeding are already MASSIVE time sinks.
Uber bosses that actually require min maxing.

but obviously, even right now just hitting level 50 and collecting 1 of each, and killing the syndicate leaders is like 50-100 hours of gameplay. (im sure faster with speedrunning, and knowing what to do first.)

Ps. someone did confirm pals DO rank up there skills with combining. Had a t4 chikipi, with lvl2 gather/ranching.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I see that sentiment all over the internet about this game 'lol but what does the player base look like in 2 weeks' and 'i can't wait for the abysmal dropoff as the hype ends'.

Like that actually matters even a tiny bit? This isn't a fuckin MMO lol, it's a 25$ single player game that also happens to let you run multiplayer servers for your friends.

It's better than everything that came before in this genre unless you care specifically about basebuilding minutae, which is it's weakest point by far. The basic construction blocks are there but it needs a lot of work to match the complexity of what you can build in valheim or even conan. The adventure stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of any of the other survival games though.

And don't even talk about Ark, that game was/is a fuckin scam and I will never understand how anyone put(s) up with it.
I agree, 100% - it always baffles me when people talk about "longevity" for single player games. Like, I'll get over 100 hours here probably for $30. It's incredible value for the $ and based of dollar per hour value I get while playing, could be considered one of the great games of all time. I don't honestly give a damn if they make it even better down the road, as it's already the best survival game I've ever played.

Elden Ring is a great example - I paid $70 or whatever at launch and have several hundred hours over 3 playthroughs (of the exact same content at launch) and don't feel compelled to "live in that world" 24/7. Same here, so unsure why these games always get held to these bizarre standards.

Unpopular opinion time: I also think Suicide Squad will be dumb 70hour+ fun and for $70 STILL think it's good value for the dollar, even if you play through it once and never touch it again. Netflix is $15/month and over two months does anyone on this planet actually watch 100+ hours of garbage shit-tier Netflix programming??

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I would love a more robust building system, but atm I just treat this like an open world adventure game. My "Base" is literally a floor and walls with enough space for a bed(that I hardly ever use) and that's it. Everything else is just outside on the ground. Maybe the future will require walls and auto defenses, but atm the pals in the base decimate any attack in less then 20 seconds.

As for longevity, I think too many care about games lasting. Sure for an MMO, but games like this who cares. As I have said in many threads, as long as you are having fun and get your $ worth, that's all the matters. But like springbok said, its an unpopular opinion, as you are seen supporting all the wrong companies/developers.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I agree, 100% - it always baffles me when people talk about "longevity" for single player games. Like, I'll get over 100 hours here probably for $30. It's incredible value for the $ and based of dollar per hour value I get while playing, could be considered one of the great games of all time. I don't honestly give a damn if they make it even better down the road, as it's already the best survival game I've ever played.
Pretty much this. Just enjoy the 40-100ish hours you get out of it, come back and check on it in 6 months - year when you're out of shit to play. I bought Conan Exiles when it first came out and have probably returned to that game 5-6 different times, getting another 30-40 hours out of it each return.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If it doesn't have an endgame with endless grinding of rewards that suck my soul until I'm a pitiable husk of a man waiting for a timer to expire so I can run my dailies I stopped enjoying months ago for rewards I don't even care about, then it's not a game for me.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
also I bought this shit just now and am going to run it on a buddy's server. Can't wait to catch some pikachu.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Speaking of problems with the game:

Dedicated servers fucking blow. I'm running one in my homelab for my homies to play on and it's just fucking us constantly. The world still runs when no one is connected, but pal AI seems to turn off entirely or just utterly fails if no one is online/connected, to the point where when you log in the next day every pal in every base is unconscious/starving/depressed because they've all been standing frozen in one spot for 12+ hours not earing or doing anything.

I've currently got 30 pals across both bases that are all depressed, and nowhere near enough bones to make enough medicine to fix all that. Guess it's time to find out if depression wears off gradually on its own?

So you now we have to put every pal back in the box before everyone logs off at night, which defeats the entire fuckin purpose of even building a base and having pals to do work for you? They seem to do fine as long as someone is online and will mine/chop wood/cook etc while you're out adventuring at least.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Speaking of problems with the game:

Dedicated servers fucking blow. I'm running one in my homelab for my homies to play on and it's just fucking us constantly. The world still runs when no one is connected, but pal AI seems to turn off entirely or just utterly fails if no one is online/connected, to the point where when you log in the next day every pal in every base is unconscious/starving/depressed because they've all been standing frozen in one spot for 12+ hours not earing or doing anything.

I've currently got 30 pals across both bases that are all depressed, and nowhere near enough bones to make enough medicine to fix all that. Guess it's time to find out if depression wears off gradually on its own?

So you now we have to put every pal back in the box before everyone logs off at night, which defeats the entire fuckin purpose of even building a base and having pals to do work for you? They seem to do fine as long as someone is online and will mine/chop wood/cook etc while you're out adventuring at least.
Yes, there are certainly more than valid complaints at this point. And hopefully they get fixed. But EA releases have been all over the map on game improvements after initial release. From complete rebuilds of a game to absolute abandonware. Let's hope they do a good job of building on this one.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I've discovered that if I make sure to visit both of my bases before disconnecting from my server, things go fairly well upon my return.

If I forget to do so, then yea I come back to a pile of broken bones and depression and starvation.

This may work for me because my 2 bases are only around 5ish miles apart, both kind of on the eastern side of the map.

I've yet to see depression or weakness clear with time. Always have to use advanced medicine, which takes forever to make.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The biggest problem with this game is probably that it launched ~5 days before Enshrouded. Enshrouded I think is the better game overall, but it's more a V-Rising/Valheim+++ whereas Pals was like an Age of Conan Thrall System+++. I COULD see big updates to this making it fun to revisit every so often, but honestly I wouldn't be surprised with the money these guys make if they just focus on another project immediately instead on a grander scale.

There's definitely a bunch of QoL at this point that I'd love to see implemented sooner rather than later:

-Allow the complete destruction of "resources" in bases. Have it be an option so if you want big ore nodes farmed that works, but if there's 30 stupid fucking trees in your base they just get deleted and never come back. This would help out the AI a TON.
-Allow a better assignment system. I had a fucking Penking who I wanted to run an icebox, but there were a bunch of egg incubators nearby and any time I threw him he'd just go "I CAN'T INCUBATE THAT! GOTTA RUN ACROSS THE BASE TO THE MINING STATION I GUESS!" They need let you hold a pal and aim at a bench/utility and then hit a button to perma station them there or make it prio 1 or something.
-AI needs better pathing. Birds are usually like Tier 3 transportation, but they ALWAYS get fucking lost/caught on something, then break their fucking bones or get depressed. They're the absolute worst fucking units, but at some of the larger nodes you NEED at least a 3 transporter.
-A better understanding of the capture "rating". It's numbers, but do the numbers mean anything? Anything significant? Probably not really! I'm 90% sure item tier matters more in capture vs mob level than anything having to do with capture rate. Also stun baton is a fucking suicide mission trying to stun a level 35+ mob in melee range for that 2% increased chance. No fucking way man.
-"Locking" items to spots in inventory/storage. I'd love to lock my armor/weapons I carry that aren't equipped. Not a huge deal as I can just shit out extraneous items and the pals will sort it out, but I'd also like to be able to "lock" some items in bins to make a better storage system. As a solo player this isn't hard to manage, but with a team the odds of some braindead grabbing all 500 spheres and ruining the sphere box is much higher.

Overall I agree this is a 1-2 week game with 50-150 hours of playtime. You definitely feel cooler in the 15-25 range and then after that it's more of the same for the most part. Venturing to dangerous places can be annoying without finding the nearest towers ASAP. Mobs hit hard as fuck. Our server just got turned down from 3x damage to 2x damage and I can not explain to you their damage scaling, but it's probably a 500% modifier. Things that hit me for 600 a shot hit me for like 80 now. The game is playable. Boss fights are long, but not instantly deadly. I do wish I did a little more damage personally, but I'm like 33 still using a crossbow because I can't be fucked to make bullets and 90% of my xbow use is to wittle down Pal health for capture anyways. Most of the boss fights just consist of good ranged Pals and then desummoning/resummoning your Pal at the right time to avoid telegraphs. Feels a little too basic and I think this is where Enshrouded will shine as it's truly more souls-like.

I'd say for a $27 game I'd give this a good 9/10. It's worth the money, could POTENTIALLY have amazing game updates, and had more QoL to begin with than was missing which is VERY unusual for game launches. The biggest downside is, like I started with, Enshrouded coming out tomorrow and I think that will be the more enjoyable game overall even if it's more guided than this one.

• 1Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
How does single player work? Are you forced to connect to their servers or do you have to have a "server" instance running on your computer in parallel to the game?