Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Opimo_sl

shitlord
I can do better with stock assets in UDK.
frown.png

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Too brown.
i agree. looks like someone took a shit on the screen. graphics obviously don't need to be bleeding edge if the game is really good, but come on, this shit looks like it came straight out of 2000. there has to be some middle ground.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I get that theyre Skeleton Acolytes (or mages, w/e) but that cloak makes them look retarded. I hope for his sake though that this game is a hell of a lot of fun to play because with those graphics, it looks dead in the water. A still born baby of MMO's.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't mind the shots. Store models, UI, and some assets. That stuff isn't for me.. The real issue is Brad lead people to believe they were working on it for 6 months when in reality it was only 2. Plus the guy who created those zones wanted at least another month on the art end.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
I guess I don't understand all the complaints about the art. Everyone knows it's Asset Store art. Who cares? If gameplay is what's important as so many people say, then who cares if it's stick figures in a box? Of course I'm being hyperbolic, but in reality, art can be the last thing that comes together overall in game development.

imijj_sl

shitlord
I guess I don't understand all the complaints about the art. Everyone knows it's Asset Store art. Who cares? If gameplay is what's important as so many people say, then who cares if it's stick figures in a box? Of course I'm being hyperbolic, but in reality, art can be the last thing that comes together overall in game development.
The problem isn't the art, it's that they basically spent 160k to create something that a lot of people on the internet could have made for free in their spare time.

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Brad has been blowing his wad all over Facebook for a better part of the day with no end in sight.

Desperation?
Binge?
Boredom?

I dunno. I just don't understand.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Brad has been blowing his wad all over Facebook for a better part of the day with no end in sight.

Desperation?
Binge?
Boredom?

I dunno. I just don't understand.
Didn't he say he was close to getting a $50k investment from someone? Probably felt like doing a day's work might help move that through

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
The guy does have an incredible ego as evidenced by his post. He obviously believes he birthed the MMORPG genre (he didn't) and actually claims full responsibility for EQ (I bet Smed would say otherwise). He can't manage projects, big or small. He thinks he's this 'visionary' (and the fanboys obviously feed that thought to him) and it is because of that he can't get out of his own way. Problem is it affects the other people involved with whatever project he's in. He still believes he can save Pantheon. He still believes that thousands of people are going to magically rush to pay him for putting out screens that look worse that Vanguard and rips the Diablo UI. He's delusional and the other devs are smart to distance themselves from that.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
He's probably looking at his bank account right now and wondering why tons of money isn't pouring in...I mean he showed screenshots. Millions of dollars should be coming in by now and he's Brad MacQuaid, he all by himself invented the MMO genre.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If they had come out with this pre Kickstarter then maybe some people would have cut them more slack. The fact that this is 6-9 months of "work" by a team of 10 industry veterans makes people very uneasy. More so by those that actually invested.

I'm a tradesman with zero computer skillz and even my screwing aroung with the Unreal engine development kit turned out much nicer then that. I spent maybe a month on it. I'm seriously considering loading it up and making a kickstarter just to see if I can out do Brad "I created mmos" Mcquaid.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Typically no one would care but he's asking for money based on this "art" not to mention it has been months with a veteran team. There's a lot more than just what we are seeing, it is the fact that he's asking all of us for money and support and he is continually showing us disappointment. It is hard to get excited and/or invest in something that falls so far below the bar.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here is Brad's feelings on this..

Just a thought. -------------- First, we all want our MMOs to look good. That's a given. That said, this is my read on the future: it's all about gameplay. What will set Pantheon apart are not the latest and greatest graphics (Unity is great, but we could have used Unreal 4 or something, spent a year making it MMO compatible, and then probably used the latest and greatest tech. Thing is, we did that with Vanguard and it bit us in the ass). What's going to set MMOs apart in the future is HOW THEY PLAY. Pantheon's focus is on adventure, exploration, and combat. If the world is compelling to explore, then we will have achieved one part of the puzzle. If the combat and adventure is more involved, more fun, more advanced, etc. than other MMOs, then we will have achieved the other part of the puzzle. I really don't care if the game right now (pre-pre-alpha) is looking like ESO. The UI? This is pre-pre-alpha. The UI will change CONSIDERABLY. The end result, the style of the game, you are seeing just the beginning of. But what it will be truly judged on is gameplay. Players don't want eye candy and then find out the game sucks. This happens too often (especially with console games). They want a game that grabs hold of them, that becomes a home, that they find themselves playing year after year. That's what we're going after. Revealing these screenshots and movie is a risk. Some who are looking for eye candy and the latest tech will be disappointed. But those people, espeically those who helped fund this prototype/demo, deserve to see the work we accomplished. Well, now it's out there (although I want to do a more polished movie #2). It's plainly obvious that we were making a game, not a graphics demo. While you can see the art get better and better with newer builds, and also with less unity store assets, the important thing to notice is the gameplay, specifically the combat system. The first iteration of it was in right away -- you can see that in the earliest builds. You can see it evolve. You can see it become more robust. Pantheon is a game in-progress, not vaporware, and not a graphics demo.
Btw..Vandyn- I've asked 2 people who worked on EQ, both said Brad very much deserves that credit and not Smed. So I'll give it to him, until someone who was on that team says the opposite.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
In general chat last night in Arche Age I'm pretty sure Brad was spamming praise for this chunk of shit game, and he was roundly met with LOLS & WHO THE FUCK IS BRAD MCQUAID???

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here is Brad's feelings on this..

Btw..Vandyn- I've asked 2 people who worked on EQ, both said Brad very much deserves that credit and not Smed. So I'll give it to him, until someone who was on that team says the opposite.
Convo, I thought you were starting to see through all of Brad's BS. Seems like the DARK SIDE is strong within you. No one should be white knighting for Brad ever, ever again.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Convo, I thought you were starting to see through all of Brad's BS. Seems like the DARK SIDE is strong within you. No one should be white knighting for Brad ever, ever again.
It's not about white knighting dude. I can be fair to someone.. Pretending he deserves no credit for EQ when I've been told the opposite by people is just silly. I judge people on what I know to be true. Don't spin this shit on me. Posting his thoughts just adds to the conversation. This mess falls directly on him.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So now, after everything went down, he shows not only the game/demo, but different builds detailing the evolution of it? Why the hell didnt they do that for their forum subscribers? Show the newest build every 2 weeks, discuss it. That would have been a much better way to keep the faith&interest up... maybe even get more donations because the GAME is shown!