Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The only starting point I have for judgement would be the damage type vs armor type would be from DAoC. Which obviously was a more PvP centric MMO than PvE but the issues would still remain. In DAoC you would spec into which weapon type your character preferred. But there were also melee styles which made certain weapon types better. I don't remember everything but I know Mid preferred Slashing. So now that Mid melees prefer slashing to blunt that means they are at a disadvantage fighting Albion who uses Plate armor which is susceptible to crush but good against slash. So Mid squads are pretty much forced to go against Hib who is susceptible to slash. It made some strange imbalances and somewhat hindered the gameplay. You could argue that is because of being forced to specialize and you maybe correct. Hibernia's melee had the luxury of using large weapons which the damage type of those was dependent upon the actual weapon (I think either slash or blunt) but that forced you to now keep two MP crafted weapons in your bag just depending upon which realm you're fighting.

Maybe for a PvE centric game some of these issues could be worked out. It would be fun as a melee not constantly pressing the same buttons and doing the same styles over and over and having it mixed up based upon the encounter.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'll give props to Joppa for getting in the trenches here considering the storied background of Rerolled and Pantheon. At least we've moved past the Fuzzy Troll era of Sparkle's Holy Crusade.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'll give props to Joppa for getting in the trenches here considering the storied background of Rerolled and Pantheon. At least we've moved past the Fuzzy Troll era of Sparkle's Holy Crusade.
Did I miss something? I haven't seen him here in the trenches. Just rumors that he registered then Soygen saying "don't see it".

Either way, he won't last long. We ran off Brad, then Nitrix, then Kyndread. We consume our own.

Edit: Basically "Joppa registered" is the same as "Pantheon got funding" until proof is shown!

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm assuming he'll post here when his account is approved. GET OFF MY BACK.
biggrin.png

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did I miss something? I haven't seen him here in the trenches. Just rumors that he registered then Soygen saying "don't see it".

Either way, he won't last long. We ran off Brad, then Nitrix, then Kyndread. We consume our own.

Edit: Basically "Joppa registered" is the same as "Pantheon got funding" until proof is shown!
In his defense, minus Brad who appears to have finally taken a step back. This is a new regime. That's not to say they are capable or anything like that. He knows they have a hole to dig out of with public opinion. I'm not sure what he can do to improve the perception of pantheon? Any ideas? Would be curious to hear ideas... I personally think they need to draw in people from the communities and get them really involved. Respected folks that carry some weight. It's very much a prove to us you can make a game at this point. So progress is everything.

Bruman

Golden Squire
I'm assuming he'll post here when his account is approved. GET OFF MY BACK.
biggrin.png
But it's so comfy there :3

In his defense, minus Brad who appears to have finally taken a step back. This is a new regime. That's not to say they are capable or anything like that. He knows they have a hole to dig out of with public opinion. I'm not sure what he can do to improve the perception of pantheon? Any ideas? Would be curious to hear ideas... I personally think they need to draw in people from the communities and get them really involved. Respected folks that carry some weight. It's very much a prove to us you can make a game at this point. So progress is everything.
The progress videos have definitely shown improvements. We still rag on them, but I think we all agree that the last 3-4 videos each showed notable improvement between them.

That said, difficulty in registering with a forum isn't a good sign ;-)

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Maybe for a PvE centric game some of these issues could be worked out. It would be fun as a melee not constantly pressing the same buttons and doing the same styles over and over and having it mixed up based upon the encounter.
All great games are based on Rock Paper Scissors (thus your DAoC example - presumably Hib was best against Alb??). With respect to different weapon types granting different abilities, the same could be said of different armor types. A Fighter just wearing Leather might be granted a "Leap Assault" attack that a Fighter wearing plate wouldn't have, A fighter wearing Plate, might have an "Elbow Strike" close quarter attack with crushing damage that a Leather armored fighter wouldn't have. Etc.

Cathex_sl

shitlord
Interested to hear the state of the game as there appears to be no comparable alternative. I completely wrote this off during the Sparkle era (wow that was something), but the new video looks decent and I'm in the midst of my quarterly nostalgia attack.

Hopefully for my own sake nostalgia mode wears off and I return to some semblance of sanity.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just a side note. From what I can tell. The 2nd team is pretty much gone. I don't even think Kyndread is involved.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would be interested in hearing the info from Joppa...I hope he posts.
Yea, I'd be curious about who is on and off. I see Tom is gone. We have him to thanks for that amazing site!? Ugh lol..

I doubt he's going to come here and break ndas and shit. I know a lot of us don't see this as a legit project, but they do..and would need to stand by those types of things.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
All great games are based on Rock Paper Scissors (thus your DAoC example - presumably Hib was best against Alb??). With respect to different weapon types granting different abilities, the same could be said of different armor types. A Fighter just wearing Leather might be granted a "Leap Assault" attack that a Fighter wearing plate wouldn't have, A fighter wearing Plate, might have an "Elbow Strike" close quarter attack with crushing damage that a Leather armored fighter wouldn't have. Etc.
It wasn't quite so much Hib > Alb > Mid > Hib it was more around armor types versus weapon types. I don't remember everything but like Pierce did bonus to Chain, Negative to Plate and Neutral to others. Crush did bonus to Plate, Negative to Chain and Neutral to others. It was stuff like that. I imagine the plan was to make it so things like stealth characters (primarily pierce) wouldn't do bonus to tanks but it ended up that is only true based upon the realm they're fighting. Since I believe only the highest armor type differed based upon realm. So Hibernia's highest was scale armor, Mid's was Chain (which all realms had access to, Mid didn't have a high tier armor) and Alb's was plate. So the idea didn't exactly work as planned -- at least IMO.

This is all off memory that is over 15 years old now so some of it might be wildly incorrect.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm not sure what he can do to improve the perception of pantheon? Any ideas? Would be curious to hear ideas... I personally think they need to draw in people from the communities and get them really involved.
This is like when Brad kept saying they just needed to get the word out? Word is out. It's bad. It's too late to involve the communities.

What they need to do is post a public apology the way things were handled, explain they're going completely dark to focus on the game, and then focus on the game. Don't come back until they have something that isn't embarrassing or a crock of shit. Include keeping the name in the 'embarrassing' category.