Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I'll be honest if you have an established framework, making an MMO in Unity is absolutely trivial.
I've been porting EQEmulator to work with Websockets + Unity, and it's one of the most brainless-but-time-consuming programs I've ever used in terms of UI design and clientsided functionality.

I have no doubt that Brad and folks have been able to make an MMORPG in Unity, it doesn't take too much effort now that I've actually played with it. Even easier since you can buy assets.
I actually have a client connecting to an EQEmu zoneserver from character select as a proof of concept. Which includes a login page. It took probably about 1 week of coding with pre-existing assets to get it to work.

I think a lot of folks have a skewed perspective that only AAA companies can make MMOs. That's as far from the truth as it could ever be. It's so easy for Joe Schmoe to run an MMO now a days.
Anyone can make an MMO if they have an ounce of programming talent if they have an existing engine. The problem is AAA Studios are failing to embrace how easy Unity, UE4, etc, are for game development and are afraid to take risks because their in-house engines are something they're proud of.

Now remove the need for artists like Unity does, and remove the extra networking knowledge needed to make MMOs with frameworks like Photon (or my EQEmulator framework, or Atavism Online's framework) and you basically remove all the heavy lifting and have just designers.

I'm sure the login page for Pantheon was done in like... 2 hours at most.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
These guys have the best chance at making eq3. Help them out when beta starts.
tumblr_ljkcgo8ejM1qc9w3l.jpg

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'll be honest if you have an established framework, making an MMO in Unity is absolutely trivial.
I've been porting EQEmulator to work with Websockets + Unity, and it's one of the most brainless-but-time-consuming programs I've ever used in terms of UI design and clientsided functionality.

I have no doubt that Brad and folks have been able to make an MMORPG in Unity, it doesn't take too much effort now that I've actually played with it. Even easier since you can buy assets.
I actually have a client connecting to an EQEmu zoneserver from character select as a proof of concept. Which includes a login page. It took probably about 1 week of coding with pre-existing assets to get it to work.

I think a lot of folks have a skewed perspective that only AAA companies can make MMOs. That's as far from the truth as it could ever be. It's so easy for Joe Schmoe to run an MMO now a days.
Anyone can make an MMO if they have an ounce of programming talent if they have an existing engine. The problem is AAA Studios are failing to embrace how easy Unity, UE4, etc, are for game development and are afraid to take risks because their in-house engines are something they're proud of.

Now remove the need for artists like Unity does, and remove the extra networking knowledge needed to make MMOs with frameworks like Photon (or my EQEmulator framework, or Atavism Online's framework) and you basically remove all the heavy lifting and have just designers.

I'm sure the login page for Pantheon was done in like... 2 hours at most.
I want to see you make an eq emu in unity that looks like this plz.
http://www.toddkumpf.com/images/rend...ountain_sm.jpg

Also, are you working with Salty?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Let history show, big flex denied the savior!

Serious note- yea, I think these guys have a real shot. I thought the game looked good last video update they did and the road map laid out in the last update at least showed a plan and some organization that didn't exist prior. I also like JP on Board and the rehire of Ben. Appears more old team members have mended their relationship with Brad as well from what I can tell on social media. So overall, things are looking pretty damn up for these guys. Sit back and wait, I don't blame people...they have a lot to prove just try not to miss the train either, this thing isn't dead.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is my thread, punk! It's all good, I don't really care to convince anyone. Just laying out my view point and speaking to the truly interested folks reading this thread. hold your opinions until the next update, Brad said its dropping next month or 2. They really haven't earned any blind faith, that won't come until people actually play the game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea this is definitely in the "wait and see" phase Convo. I've got a better chance of getting head from Emma Stone than this game has of getting released.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There is a 0% chance Khane would get head from Emma Stone because on the date proceeding said fellatio he'd find a minor flaw with her and leave

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There is a 0% chance Khane would get head from Emma Stone because on the date proceeding said fellatio he'd find a minor flaw with her and leave
Nonsense. She's rich and sexy as hell. A.K.A. the perfect woman.