Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'd like to hear more from guys like Brad and Scott. Just want to see where their heads are and if any of their views have changed in regards to the industry. I wasn't a fan of Scott's views on things like open world dungeons being a waste of Dev time..That view made it's way into Rift. I wasn't feeling that world at all

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I don't see why SOE would buy Trion. You could say Vanguard is between EQ & EQ2, but Rift isn't that type of game SOE is missing on their product line.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd like to hear more from guys like Brad and Scott. Just want to see where their heads are and if any of their views have changed in regards to the industry. I wasn't a fan of Scott's views on things like open world dungeons being a waste of Dev time..That view made it's way into Rift. I wasn't feeling that world at all
Rifts pvp also failed, even though the world pvp was great early on. The bg pvp rank grind felt stale and uninspired. Pvp needs a way to go head to head and a true rank system, not just a grind to max rank. Rifts bg system is better than wows when it comes to variation of game types, wow owns them when it comes to competive pvp.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah that's another issue. They are completely disassociated from what a fun game is. They look at shipping a title and least common denominator development.

Convo:
Yeah, I can tell you straight up that Brad played his ranger to about level 36 until about two weeks into Kunark release and never returned after that, as someone who played with some of that crowd. The main zone designer for the early years played it fairly religiously, mostly as a cleric, so despite my not liking a lot of design choices, he was at least living in the house he built, as it were. Fast forward to the giant fan wankfest that happened for VG in Vegas and it was fairly clear that none of them were really actively playing their own game, except for a few of the minor QA drones. In fact none of them seemed to know their way around that even early stage client (which was apparently a giant fabrication, anyhow), so it has not gotten better, in recent years. The dude has been burnt out for years and is just trying to stay busy while making a few bucks, which I guess I could give him a pass on if it were not for the whole drug addiction thing (he looked pretty out of it in Vegas).

Smed will get the product out the door, because he is good at that, but who fucking knows what state it will be in? I am too old to spend 20 hours grinding snakes to get to level 2 and I do not trust McQ to innovate at this late stage in his career. The dude is basically fat on a toilet Elvis playing out his last few concerts as a Vegas act, at this point. Any real spark in the genre is going to have to come from new blood, but the bean counters will never trust unknowns with the amount of money needed to develop a modern MMO (hi2u Curt), because they will take milking a tired IP for small margins and killing servers after two years over taking real risks.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'm not saying that it isn't a possibility. But it's pretty much conjecture right now. You could look at it as Scott cutting all the fat and trying to set things straight. Is it more likely Trion is trying to sell? Probably. I was just interested if there was anything substantial behind the rumors.
Break out your sources, Scoop McMMOjUnkie and find out!

Trion is not going to publicly trumpet what they are doing due to having live games out there. However, it's pretty much been rumored from many sites they are shopping the company. If Trion is still in the same setup a year from now, I'll be very surprised. I think it's too bad as their tech is far better than many other companies.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't see why SOE would buy Trion. You could say Vanguard is between EQ & EQ2, but Rift isn't that type of game SOE is missing on their product line.
I could see SoE maybe taking over management of Trion and running it while splitting any profits made with owners. I don't see them making any purchase of Trion simply because they don't have the money to do so.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I think it would make sense for SOE to buy it for Rift, just in the name of completion and so they can have a monopoly, a full suite of games that nobody plays.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Out of curiosity, how many people still play Rift? Is there an estimate number around?
I enjoyed it for a while, got mage, rogue and priest to 50, but then people just... disappeared. I was in a medium sized guild, at one point there were barely 5 people online.
Tried it again when it was f2p, but I just can't stand anymore many hotbars packed with skills, let alone if I can just macro them into one or two buttons.
GW2 style is much more enjoyable for me.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I liked Rift for a little bit but the tiny world, linear progression and lack of any diversity save starting on the opposing faction ruined it for me. I got one guy to cap and quit. I'll log in every so often and log back out when I'm told all my skill points have been reset.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Rift was down to 150-250k or so I think? Somewhere in that range and interest for the game spiked pretty decently when it went f2p.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The focus was all wrong and they failed on thier biggest selling point.. Classes

iannis

Musty Nester
Classes were their second biggest selling point. Their biggest selling point was a scalable pseduo-dynamic world. If they'd managed one or the other they still could have pulled it out. There was a lot of good in Rift but it just wasn't enough to carry them past those two foundational mistakes. Content generation wise they did ok. Not great -- they didn't add a 5 man for over a year? But their Island update was nicely done.

I hate that Rift went to seed. It's one of the few MMO's that was so close to breaking through into long term stability.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Rift had way too little content. As fun as the classes and souls and stuff was, it technically only had 4 different classes. Not that it even mattered because there was no replayability anyway thanks to there only being several zones. If you made another character it would have to go through the exact same experience all over again. And even the stuff they had to try to break up the monotony like the battlefronts or whatever, there was only like 3 or 4 of them or something. Just everything was too small imo.

And players consume content way too fast. I maxed out my character in Rift in about 2 weeks and then it was just grinding. No company can afford to develop content at that kind of rate. I think the only sensible idea is to do something like EQ NExt is doing and have the players do something repetitive over and over and make that enjoyable. I love playing MOBA's and they have basically no content at all beyond what you first see. Its a bunch of heroes and you play the same 1 map over and over, thousands of times, doing the exact same thing, with no random mobs or anything. But it remains exciting just like every game sports match is fun in its own way.

I think MMO's should do that. Not necessarily just steal moba gameplay, but if you make the game one giant world where people are fighting each other for control of something or to win something, and each battle earns you a little something that chips away at your very long term goal... to me that makes more sense than the current MMO design. Games like Unreal Tournament and Command & Conquer, I played those same games every day for like 5-10 years. They need to transpose that kind of repetition (but fun) in to an MMO world.

Tol_sl

shitlord
My problem with rift was that everything I read about it was "Limitless creativity in the class system and hundreds of options!" but what that really meant was "1-2 OP FOTM classes that 90% of the playerbase used in pvp until the next patch when the FOTM changed"

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I log into rift and do a few warfronts or a conquest and log off. Having done the rank grind in the game a few times I can honestly say if they wanted me around they would add some true competive pvp.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
My problem with rift was that everything I read about it was "Limitless creativity in the class system and hundreds of options!" but what that really meant was "1-2 OP FOTM classes that 90% of the playerbase used in pvp until the next patch when the FOTM changed"
Class variety and each one being distinct are big selling points to me. There's nothing unique when every Mage can be all caster classes, every rogue can be all stealther classes, etc and then they changed it so there's a ton of overlap with tanking, healing, and DPS.

The other problem Rift had is it is just a very dull world. There's no sense of danger, there's no real cool AD&D feel, and there's no 'gear' that really stands out.

It's a well polished boring as fuck game.