Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
So we need some of those crazy big guilds on board.. The HOSS type ha.. I just emailed an old VG guild I played in rift with.. Word hasn't spread far enough yet bc the game wasn't posted there.. I know for a fact if they got a hint of this project it would of been posted.. I think it's really just a matter of the info getting out still.. It's early but I'm predicting a bigger week 2.
Another example I'd say is using the MMORPG.COM site. It's a shill , moronic community overall but still press is press and there's a few decent folk there who for some reason stay there. Brad needs to do one of those softball interviews there , post occasionally on the forum , and have the Pantheon PR guy keep it up there. With the focus still saying this is old schoolish , and not the mmo for everyone. Make that clear , let the idiots rage who hate the idea , but probably can snag a good number of folks who'd pledge. There's some who don't know of any other site for mmo news but there.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I prefer mob movement/animations as telegraphs similar to TERA.
Tera's was kinda boring, that flash of red in their eye signalling a incoming special(and they went in order so you figured out which one it was) and the yellow symbol above someone's heads stating incoming spin-swipe(for melee) or a jump/projectile(range). That was it.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Completely agree that you should stream data to the client as it's needed per session. EQ1 did this, and it's not a bad idea at all - not doing so is a mistake a lot of modern MMO game developers make, they put full trust in the client to not lie to the server and then you have hack-infested games.

It's easier now than it was in 1999 to reverse engineer games. The best solution to reverse engineering is making most of the game streamed to the client - important things should be kept on the server, such as health, NPC HP, items, etc..
By doing that, you limit the ability to have exploitable code. Even then, you'd pretty much want to watch out for server bugs based on the protocol... such as buffer overflows, sending data that is not valid, etc.

Most 'hacks' for games are easily patched at the server level. Even things like teleportation. Disallowing people to move on the server is one of the most powerful tools available, I am surprised SOE didn't end up doing that with EQMac when people started abusing the client. They have, quite literally, more tools than EQEmu ever had/has, and couldn't patch simple exploits in the protocol like bypassing keys needed for zones, duping items, etc... all of that stuff is controlled by the server and yet... :|

Anyways...I'm so glad to see that Brad gets what makes an MMO awesome. This thread has me so excited.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I was going to bring mmorpg.com up earlier in regards to having the game added to the newly announced mmo list. I didn't see it today.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I like the way TSW handled it. They had forecasts all over the place in the lower levels. But then they started to disappear later on when the game "taught" us what to look for.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of getting in touch with the larger, old-school guilds do we have any posters from AL, Triton, DROW, LoS, etc?

Further more.. how about old EQ Fansites? Druid's Grove? Heck I can't even remember all of the class specific sites or other sites I used.

Tol_sl

shitlord
The FV server was the last thing I worked on before leaving SOE back then. I'm a big believer in alternate ruleset servers.
My favorite eq servers were FV and SZ/RZ/discord. I feel like these servers were not really thought of in regards to 'balance', but that's part of what made them so fun, and they attracted like-minded userbases. Every game doesn't need to be a meticulously balanced thing, and alternate ruleset servers are a fantastic thing.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speaking of getting in touch with the larger, old-school guilds do we have any posters from AL, Triton, DROW, LoS, etc?

Further more.. how about old EQ Fansites? Druid's Grove? Heck I can't even remember all of the class specific sites or other sites I used.
I just put this info up on the retired boards on LoS where all of us old farts occasionally post. I can tell you that for years .... the sentiment there has been that people have become disinterested in mmorpgs and some even dabble in EQ1 still. Many tried and played WoW, Rift etc, but the feeling has always been meh...lets wait till EQ1 or something similar comes back. Nothing else has been close really.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Kickstarter really pisses me off. A lot. It's a great idea for the new people, indie devs, etc or people with little money but great trying something awesome. It's another thing entirely when people who can fund their own projects choose crowdfunding so they don't have to put a lot of their own money at risk yet reap all the returns of the final product. It's like the city of Dallas buying the stadium for Jerry Jones. I'm surprised I'm one of the few people that feel this way.
you're not alone. as much as i want this game to succeed, i'm still on the fence about giving money. as gamers, we support the industry by purchasing finished products. it shouldn't be our job to foot the bill to create the game. i wouldn't give a car company money for a car that wasn't built, nor would i pay $300 for a dinner before it was served.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Problem is , it seems the suits believe ESO and SWTOR are the games that need to be made. KS seems our only option to have a non "safe" game made.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
So we need some of those crazy big guilds on board.. The HOSS type ha.. I just emailed an old VG guild I played in rift with.. Word hasn't spread far enough yet bc the game wasn't posted there.. I know for a fact if they got a hint of this project it would of been posted.. I think it's really just a matter of the info getting out still.. It's early but I'm predicting a bigger week 2.
That's awesome -- thanks for reaching out to the VG guild. As hard as we are trying to spread the word, it's tough. We owe a lot to you all for spreading the word! Sometimes word of mouth just works, and all of the 'sophisticated' avenues don't.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Someone make sure and let Ebonlore and Axem know, I mean it wouldn't be an old school classic mmo if they didn't play and get banned within a year.

Wystler_sl

shitlord
Then we need to work on that. The game is a mix of EQ 1, VG, and some cool modern ideas... overall more EQ 1 than the others, though that's in the eye of the beholder (great game, pardon the pun).
Yep. And you give, and give, and give, and people like me are the thanks you get!
wink.png

I always liked the idea of having 'official' communities that were supported by the game. Let fan sites do a lot of the heavy lifting in exchange for some shout-out cred. Makes a wider community than official forums, which are usually shit anyhow.
I liked our (non-company) server forum. It was the wild west and the company didn't have to take any heat. We called each other every horrific thing imaginable as well as threw around heinous accusations. Terrific fights broke out on them that carried over into the game but that also built community in a very unique way that a company would have to have huge brass balls to allow (not to mention the legal ramifications). That's where spawns got tracked and guilds traded favors and attempt after attempt at rotation systems were made only to have someone blow it and then get black balled across the server. Again, tons of drama but it wasour drama. We owned it. That stuff just doesn't happen much from what I've seen on company boards. Just apathy and whining.