Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
After being kind of disappointed by the EQNext reveal (not what I was hoping for, but looks neat in its own right), and therefore losing hope for the future of MMORPGs, I'm ready to get right back on this bandwagon! Take us for a ride again, Brad!
Exactly. I need Brad to accidentally design awesome mechanics again, as well as broken ones that turn out fun. Heres to hoping lightning can strike twice.

No sarcasm either. I'm serious as fuck.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Exactly. I need Brad to accidentally design awesome mechanics again, as well as broken ones that turn out fun. Heres to hoping lightning can strike twice.

No sarcasm either. I'm serious as fuck.
You're not alone. A few people are trying to warn everyone about getting excited as if that same warning doesn't apply to every fucking MMO in existence or as if a poster on this forum doesn't know Brad's story. If I only allowed myself to get excited about products with no risk of sucking I'd ignore the entire gaming industry. I'd also ignore any Naughty Dog game because hey, that's the studio that made Way of the Warrior long before they were the Uncharted dudes.

Brad says things that remind me I actually do still care about this genre. We're a long ways off from what that amounts to but I'm excited to see what comes of all of this. What's old is new again and legacy franchises are being reborn because there's a large enough market crying for their return. Just today Jane Jensen announced a Gabriel Knight remake and people are hype as fuck.

It's not enough to make a game that's archaic in design and call it old school but a lot of what made EQ special has been stripped out in modern MMOs even if some people refuse to see it as anything but nostalgia talking.

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
He'll have to go through 25 more years of the development of the fantasy genre, into the next tier of mmo's, and then condense it all into one game for it to be the same caliber as everquest pre-99. (in other words not in this lifetime)

Rhuobhe

N00b
because there are so many other promising mmo's out there waiting for my money. I need to give Brad some faith.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Sadly, I'm more interested in this potential trainwreck than in EQ Next. The more videos I watch, and the more SOE stuff I read, the more I get an EQ2 vibe from EQ Next. It's just another game being designed by the smartest guys in the room, none who probably actually play MMOs.

Mcquaid lately said he wants a Sandbox designed with a themepark feel. He needs to lose that fucking mindset and if he builds an MMO, build on the DIKU design that made EQ successful for a niche group, and don't try to be everything to everyone.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Re-make Vanguard and make it solid as a rock and run on many a machine well = win. .... and .... release one continent at a time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well.. I think/hope we will get a VG type game.. I'm guessing Brad had a bunch of ideas back then that were not possible due to tech so let's see what he comes up with.

His core team is in place. Just hoping for some info on who they are. Hopefully we will get that soon.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I just hope Brad doesn't chase the $300 million dollar game, with 10 "suits" behind the game demanding subs north of 5 million. Then we are right back to where we started. Keep it small Brad. Small team, small budget, small expectations. If the game is popular beyond what you hoped for, its just a bonus.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure small, niche is the plan. I would imagine even if he fell into more funding than he expected he would still go that route and slowly build the game after release.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
you don't have to plan a game to be big or small, just make it GOOD. when you make a good game, the money will follow. TES didn't start out with a 20 million dollar budget, neither did diablo or zelda or any other of over a thousand different games that have come out over the past 30 years, including everquest. they all became huge successes because they were really well done games that people loved to play.

Diazepane_sl

shitlord
you don't have to plan a game to be big or small, just make it GOOD. when you make a good game, the money will follow. TES didn't start out with a 20 million dollar budget, neither did diablo or zelda or any other of over a thousand different games that have come out over the past 30 years, including everquest. they all became huge successes because they were really well done games that people loved to play.
Might be good, but have little depth. There's a balance. Hitting the sweet spot is hard, and in my opinion this is why Sony sucks. Because they belligerently make plastic games with no redeeming qualities after you get past the thin surface that they present as "features."

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just to be clear. I'm talking about content/world size. I think we both agree the game has to be fun too. With limited funds it will be hard to be both a big world and fun. Basically just taking what he said he learned from VG with the size of the world. SO he needs to design within his budget and get the fun in. To do that you might have to sacrifice the size of the world a bit. Which isn't a huge deal if there is enough content to sustain the players for a few months after release.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Just to be clear. I'm talking about content/world size. I think we both agree the game has to be fun too. With limited funds it will be hard to be both a big world and fun. Basically just taking what he said he learned from VG with the size of the world. SO he needs to design within his budget and get the fun in. To do that you might have to sacrifice the size of the world a bit. Which isn't a huge deal if there is enough content to sustain the players for a few months after release.
If he can make this game on time and stay on budget, I will cut him all the slack in the world when it comes to releasing new content. Just please please please, make us a game that doesn't suck, and don't get swallowed up by the financing sharks and pull another "38 studios" on us. I am willing to wait........

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm more optimistic than most in his ability to launch a game. I think his past mistakes along with his successes are enough for me to be confident that we will see a game from him. Hopefully we hear about the team and project soon. I know they are looking at tech now.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Convo, after Vanguard I'm not sure how anyone could be high on his ability to run a team and actually launch a game. Especially given this time around he doesn't appear to have any real funding. Design a game? Sure. Launch? NFW.

I'd be amazed if SOE is bankrolling this, which means it's probably either a kickstarter project or from some Asian company who missed the memo of what really happened to Vanguard.