Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
EQ was in no way a better game or MMO than WOW. I'm all over this EQ nostalgia, but come on... we left in fucking DROVES from EQ to WOW for the very reasons some of you fuckstains wax poetic about EQ now. EQ was a TERRIBLE game, but a fun, new and addicting experience. WOW was a good game. Big difference.
I agree with this.

I think people forget all the things that made EQ horrible.

1) NPC's eating quest objects, some of those quest objects taking months to get because of rare spawns/drops. Without a process of consistent GM help on those issues.

2) Watching horrible Z-Axis pathing bugs be fine in some instances (Dain), but if you exploited them in others (Warders) where it showed content blatantly not finished, the hammer would come down due to the embarrassment caused.

3) Gameplay was horribly stagnant.

4) Some classes during the leveling process would lose all functionality and become summoners/CR retrieval experts/Mana Batteries. Destroying gameplay fun for those classes in it's entirety.

5) Ridiculous bugs (believe it or not, usually caused by just shipping a product that wasn't fully developed) that existed for months. From mobs under the world conglomerating killing folks above, to unfinished loot tables and developer boxes. Just all around, shitty.

Obviously there are a lot more here. Don't get me wrong, still a fun game that I poured a lot of time into, but your statement here said it best:

new and addicting experience.
The first of it's kind in a 1st person open world MMORPG. Once people took advantage of that and actually made a quality game, we saw what happened with those supposedly "market capped at 500k" sub numbers.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The next big thing IMO will be the Developers that can do the following:

Minecraft style building / resource gathering
GW2 events style leveling but with the entire world firing off events not just a handful to level
Eve Economy with everything being crafted but major mats being dropped
Everything should be useable
Open world, no levels (optional but awesome)

Bonus points for Territory control / PVP end game although its not necessary

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
funny how the KS comments thread goes batshit insane about the lack of a warrior class. Of all things, that is what is causing them to lose their shit...

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
funny how the KS comments thread goes batshit insane about the lack of a warrior class. Of all things, that is what is causing them to lose their shit...
Wait , they are allowing questioning and discussion now ? I looked a few hours ago and it was still the same 4 or 5 screaming at anyone questioning anything.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The next big thing IMO will be the Developers that can do the following:

Minecraft style building / resource gathering
GW2 events style leveling but with the entire world firing off events not just a handful to level
Eve Economy with everything being crafted but major mats being dropped
Everything should be useable
Open world, no levels (optional but awesome)

Bonus points for Territory control / PVP end game although its not necessary
Yup, like DayZ and Rust, except throw a fantasy setting in there. Give the players a world with resources, some crafting schematics, and some NPCs thrown about with emergent AI and let poeple go and do their thing. Gather, craft, set up communities by themselves, protect those communities, attack others... Thats emergent gameplay at its best. You dont need quest givers to tell you shitty stories. You make them and live them yourself.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
First Post. 14'er. I just wanted to say what I liked in EQ with regard to lore, was that you had to work for it. It was like being an archaeologist or historian trying to find stuff out. You didn't get beat over the head with meaningless anecdotal nonsense that had little or nothing to do with the main theme of the world/history/gods. And I agree that I don't really want to be the special snowflake (no cutscenes please).

I'd also like to say that while I think some here are a bit harsh in their takedowns, especially on people new to these boards, others have made valid and important points about the lack of preparedness Brad & Crew have shown with this KS campaign. Communities exist in all varieties. This is clearly the "Give no fucks" community, which is fine and necessary in an age of mis- or disinformation brought on my internet anonymity. I will continue to view, learn and assess what is shared here, despite the crushing reprisals I will most likely invite with this first post.
Actually, that's a good point about not hitting you in the face the second you step in with the lore everywhere. I do prefer that style and not having it shoved at you every moment.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
some people even talked about pulling their pledge and waiting for open beta and no one brought the torches and pitchforks out

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Maybe they are discussing just pulling it down and getting their shit together and reposting it in a couple months. Or maybe Brad just said fuck it and is off riding his motorcycle. I'm hoping for the former.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
And im taking about PEOPLE interested. Which matters a lot more than what pittance they raise. Think about it.
okay 1600 people have signed up for a crap kickstarter with very little pre KS publicly. What's your point again?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tell me this, if everyone thought vanilla wow was great when the EQ migration happened, why isn't anyone clamouring for a remake of vanilla wow instead if EQ?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They have vanilla wow vannilla +tbc...etc.. servers all over the place, probably way more people interested than EQ P99 type server communities.

Who ever keeps pledging big amounts and then pulling it just to troll the Kickstarter, that is seriously lame. If you don't like the kickstarter, then don't pledge. Trolling the kickstarter with fake pledges is not cool at all, and you should be banned from kickstarter for it.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Tell me this, if everyone thought vanilla wow was great when the EQ migration happened, why isn't anyone clamouring for a remake of vanilla wow instead if EQ?
Do you think that's relevant? Should we change our opinion based on this?

If Blizzard offered a classic WoW server, I might actually consider it.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Maybe they are discussing just pulling it down and getting their shit together and reposting it in a couple months. Or maybe Brad just said fuck it and is off riding his motorcycle. I'm hoping for the former.
They are writing the Crusader description for tomorrow's reveal!

Lysis

N00b
EQ was in no way a better game or MMO than WOW. I'm all over this EQ nostalgia, but come on... we left in fucking DROVES from EQ to WOW for the very reasons some of you fuckstains wax poetic about EQ now. EQ was a TERRIBLE game, but a fun, new and addicting experience. WOW was a good game. Big difference.
Starcraft is so awesome, why have Age of Empires, right?

As a genre defining game with no immediate competition, EQ had a captive audience among its fans. Naturally, those captive or simply played-out moved to other games that better suited them as they became available.

It sounds like you may have been among those held captive. Not everyone was.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
....holy......lay on hand.........plate armor.......healing........big sword..........shields..........

Just fill in the rest with some bullshit lolore.