Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'd rather have less backers and a funded project than more backers and an unfunded one.
You have to take a long term look at it too. Too few backers and your product may die a quick death post release due to too little interest. In a way the number of backers is more important that the cash because that's the number that hints at the size of the market Pantheon is aiming for.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Does anyone have an example of a KS that funded successfully where it started from 0 (meaning there was no initial startup money, no tech demo, etc) to reach the kind of money they are asking for Pantheon? Pathfinder isn't a good comparison, wasn't there already funds in place and a tech demo? I think the Repopulation is the same way.

Does anyone have an example of a KS that funded successfully where it started from 0 (meaning there was no initial startup money, no tech demo, etc) to reach the kind of money they are asking for Pantheon? Pathfinder isn't a good comparison, wasn't there already funds in place and a tech demo? I think the Repopulation is the same way.
The Mighty No. 9 is an example.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
It's not surprising, ask any lender and they will tell you that a project where the guys asking for money aren't personally invested is pretty much automatic declined. The fact that some of the guys on this 'team' haven't even left their day jobs for the project should be sending up massive red flags to any investor.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
As bas as he's fucked this whole thing up, I give him mad props for effort. The dude is going like 24/7 trying to make this happen.
Yeah, effort now that he realized it won't magically come to him. He should have put this effort into things before the KS.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
All he had to do is come here, or anywhere for that matter, beforehand and ask a few questions..... /sigh

Instead he just thought this shit would sell like tampons at the Kardashian house.

delirium_sl

shitlord
...The fact that some of the guys on this 'team' haven't even left their day jobs for the project should be sending up massive red flags to any investor.
This doesn't give me red flags because they have said right now what is being done on this project is pro-bono. Not everyone on the team has Brad's money to live off of while the try to build something from the ground up. They have to support themselves and a family so they can't afford to work for free right now.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The smartest thing they have done during the entirety of this project so far has been not quitting their day jobs.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
As bas as he's fucked this whole thing up, I give him mad props for effort. The dude is going like 24/7 trying to make this happen.
ill give him that. and honestly, i really am digging what ive hward so far for the most part. yes im aware its all smoke, mirrors, farts, and sunshine at the moment.

but brad is busting his ass and putting alot of time into less than optimal, if not counterproductive moves. a consistancy seems to be aweful a scheduling of all major pr moments to occur while most people are still at work.

the shit ks, the shit pr, etc, i dont lay at brads feet. i lay the blame for this disaster on their pr guy. this guys seems to have literally no idea. this should be your social media go-to-guy, the guy who knows what reddit it, the guy stirring the pot on forums and shit all day.

brad, just go find some community college communications student with big tits and ler her run this shit for free as an intern for the 'valuable learning experience', itd be better than what you have now.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
I don't disagree on the message part is needed somewhat , but strongly disagree on the not needing more screenshots. Tangible even rough content , especially screenshots is what is needed to actually sell the Kickstarter. Too many people come to the KS and look it over and see two total rough screenshots and that's it that's tangible. Many of the true believers and folks like me that just want this type of game badly have pledged decent money even though we think the KS is beyond shitty.

To get anyone who needs at least minor convincing , or someone who hears about it and comes to check out the KS site , you need immediate and easily seen visual representation to hook them and think it's at least semi-real. Too many other KS's have far more visual content in comparison.

I personally don't give a shit about videos as I think Brad and Co has proven they need to be kept far away from the camera , but screenshots and actual drawings of races and classes would actually get people to look at the KS and follow it and consider backing it.
Yeah but screenshots and artwork just make the game look like every other game out there. Extremely hard to demonstrate the fundamental differences via screenshots and drawings. They are in a tough bind.

As for brining in free volunteer labor any business has to be extremely careful about this as it can create all kinds of exposure. What is a helping hand now turns into someone who feels they are owed millions when a product is successful. I know people think it is a waste not to tap into an eager fan base willing to work for free but it is much, much more complicated than that.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
This doesn't give me red flags because they have said right now what is being done on this project is pro-bono. Not everyone on the team has Brad's money to live off of while the try to build something from the ground up. They have to support themselves and a family so they can't afford to work for free right now.
it's a bad sign when people aren't confident enough in their project to risk their own assets on it. It's basic economics and banking.

I get that maybe the guys with families aren't willing to mortgage the house to go all in on a startup but it's not a good sign.

And stop with the pro bono shit, if you are dumb enough to believe a guy working at a startup is working pro bono you need to consult a dictionary and then your bank about freeing up cash to buy this great bridge I will sell you.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
They added because idiots like Goemoe, Chris and Steve kept repeating in the kickstarter comments that it was vital to have a juicy $25 tier to bring in the hoards of players sitting on the fence. I argued in the comments many times that if they weren't interested in backing at $35 they just plain weren't interested period. These hoards of "fence sitters" that Goemoe is imagining just plain don't exist. About 20 hours since it was revealed it's got 15 pledges; 3 of which seem to be pledge downs from $35......
The 25 tier needs to be there and should have been there from the beginning. With they point getting as many pledgers as possible. Your listed analysis does nothing to dispute that reality.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Do these guys have jobs? Honestly this would be like a major conflict of interest would you not say? I know in my industry If I got caught doing other shit on the side I would be fired ASAP.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
it's a bad sign when people aren't confident enough in their project to risk their own assets on it. It's basic economics and banking.

I get that maybe the guys with families aren't willing to mortgage the house to go all in on a startup but it's not a good sign.

And stop with the pro bono shit, if you are dumb enough to believe a guy working at a startup is working pro bono you need to consult a dictionary and then your bank about freeing up cash to buy this great bridge I will sell you.
Please tell us more about banking, obviously an area of expertise for you.

rrr_img_58382.jpg

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
It's been said but they should have followed thePathfinder Onlinemodel and funded a tech demo. Make it a lower goal, promise no actual game (since it's been stated that $800,000 doesn't actually fund an MMO yet all sorts of tiers make bold in-game promises) and use whatever money is made there to actually start making Pantheon. Maybe they would have made less overall, but as it stands there's an enormous risk of getting zero funding anyways.

Create a demo, offer to let users interact with it and come back with way more shit for a full-fledged Kickstarter or just try and get the game published.
No doubt they could have easily funded 125k-150K proof of concept that would have given them some working capital in order to have strong assets for the main ks and probably could have asked for more. Although worrying about what they should have done accomplishes little.