Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Fedor

<Banned>
I am Brad McQuaid, one of the creators of EverQuest and Vanguard: Saga of Heroes and CCO for Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen. AMA! : IAmA

I downvoted.

iUI9IifLNWAYd.gif

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
I hate to keep going on at it but this whole KS makes no sense. If you needed money to get things going then asking for a lower amount and being clear thats what the money is for would have been better (like pathfinder). if you needed to prove there was market to get more investors then you should have just had one tier (the game) and a very low total and explaining that this was just to prove to an investor (that you should have already spoken too and fund, that there is a need for a game and after to success of this they would back the project) at the moment your not asking for any of thoes things. your asking for a strange some of money for a proof of concept/game. the more i think about this KS the more it hurts.

I do hope that Brad understands people are not being negative for no reason or cause we hate him or the game. just trying to understand the decisions being made. And i will keep saying i want this game but its just getting harder and harder to understand this.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I get that, but when they are sitting on a $600k check with no strings attached, they are going to find a way to get that check into their hands. I am sure they have convinced themselves that there are enough people interested in the game to satisfy their arbitrary metric that they are going to at least get through this initial round of funding.
My follow up question to that is if they have enough to cover any gap if the LS doesn't reach goal (200k, 400k whatever), why wasn't that money used towards perhaps a prototype or towards some sort of development to show?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
As a skeptic on the fence, this does not assure me at all. Especially because VR came to the KS table so unprepared. Your group does not appear to have its act together.

I think you have to realize that your past doesn't disappear just because you want it to. There's a lot of once-burned people who want to support you again, but you have to do a much better job overcoming our objections. For me, that means being organized,concise, and with better evidence you can execute.
it has been said before in this thread, and I agree, that the obstacle to acquiring the remaining backers and funds is not Brad's past. If Brad's past is doing anything for the project, it's helping, as he's brought some great games to life and we all have hundreds if not thousands of hours invested in them.

the obstacle is a clear definition of their mission, a concise and well planned/executed kickstarter, media interactions, and public relations that promote the IDEA over the CONTENT (cause currently there really is no content to show). ie, we need the fleshed out design doc that we've been asking about for weeks now.

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm
My follow up question to that is if they have enough to cover any gap if the LS doesn't reach goal (200k, 400k whatever), why wasn't that money used towards perhaps a prototype or towards some sort of development to show?
Because they can get free money from the public? We're talking about a group of people in their 30s and 40s that have all been part of high profile successful games. These guys should have little trouble coming up with a few hundred thousand.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
the more i think about this KS the more it hurts.
Yeah it's weird.

He's marketing the Kickstarter as the means to build a complete game. Then he comes in here and says, "LOL, $800,000 can't build an MMO, I'm gonna get VC's too. I simply needed to get a proof-of-concept."

That's great and all, but that's not what you divulged to your investors: the people currently giving you their real life money.

The problem with crowdfunding, is that when you lie, more people know about it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Using KS to gauge interest is flawed right out of the gate. 1 person could decide to fund the entire 800k if they so chose (obviously not likely but you get the point).

If 20,000 people all donated one dollar the KS wouldn't fund, but it would show at least 20k people are somewhat interested. On the other end 1000 people could donate 800 each and the project would fund but you would only see interest from 1000 people. Saying the KS was there just to prove that people were interested seems like smoke and mirrors. You've either not fully thought that idea through, or you are trying to pull one over on us.

I'm trying not to be too overdramatic here but you're failing really, really hard at improving your image to gamers who are familiar with your history Brad.

P.S. Next time you want to see if people are interested in your game idea, have a design document, concept art, lore, class writeups and even some gameplay video done beforehand. You can't expect people to back an idea when the idea isn't even presentable in real terms. Even people who would be interested in an "old school" game need to see if your ideas match up with theirs before they throw money at it.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well maybe Plan C, i.e. Razer Naga, is an Ace he's got:

Aradune, what are you doing to ramp up the coverage for pantheon?
[?]AraduneMithara 2 points 4 minutes ago
This, an interview with Boogie, some help from Project1999, andsome powerful ideas we can't reveal quite yet.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because they can get free money from the public? We're talking about a group of people in their 30s and 40s that have all been part of high profile successful games. These guys should have little trouble coming up with a few hundred thousand.
Not if the KS doesn't fund. That's my point, if he needs to come up with his own money to cover it, why didn't he use that money to put a better product out there for the KS. I guarantee you it would be doing much better than it's doing now. He has said on countless occassions that the KS is used to show there is interest. This thing is barely able to get 2000 backers, you think that quantifies 'substantial' interest?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
From the AMA:

[-]AraduneMithara 13 points 7 minutes ago
treestick: While we're making a challenging game, but you won't need to grind or camp or do a dungeon for hours on end. Most of Pantheon is designed to be played in 1-2 hour increments.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Man... a lot of people hitting him up about what happened at VG. Surprised he's not trying to keep this focused on Pantheon but he seems to be answering them.