Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
AAs are bad simply because they are permanent and cumalitive. It creates a level grind that never goes away. There are numerous ways to not have this problem:

- Make all AAs fluff like appearance options and your personal house or whatever. Useless in combat.

- Have a limited number of AA allowed active at a time. AA slots would just be similar to gear slots; grind AAs and fill the slot. Vets would have swappable options, new or casuals would probably just try to fill 1 set.

- Make them temporary. This was added with glyphs. It could also be done by having them gradually lost with higher leveling, similar to what was done with focus effects.

- Have tiers of AA that do not stack. For example, if you get +3 mana regen from luclin aas, then hypothetically pop era had +5, it would override it once greater rather than resulting in +8. A new player could just go straight for the newest AA set to catch up, or maybe one close to it, rather than needing to do a dozen expansion's worth of cumalitive work that all stacks. Likewise, a returning player would still have value from old AAs and can work to upgrade.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It amazes me that we can come up with some pretty solid ideas that dont fuck up itemization and give the player something to do in its place, yet designers struggle? We round tabled this shit in one page ffs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It amazes me that we can come up with some pretty solid ideas that dont fuck up itemization and give the player something to do in its place, yet designers struggle? We round tabled this shit in one page ffs.

Implementation is a bitch dog. None of these games... Until now probably started with the I intent that the game needs to be designed to last for 15 years. I guarantee you EQ was designed to live for 3 to 5 at most.

WoW was maybe designed around 10 years. Remember eq was 5 years old 2004.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep the old timers who love these fucking games like much of the board have been in the tall weeds man. They have seen the shit.

I mean I have tried most of the asian grinders. <shudder> I have been playing these games for fuck's sake MMO's 18 years? 19? And other pnp games since I was 8. So 38 years? I have thought about systems and variables and god damn 1d4 or 10D6 attacks (go go big blue book Hero system!) for longer than half the world has been alive.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Do designers really struggle? A lot of the ideas here are solid ideas but only in theory and only on paper. In practice it is quite a bit more difficult and costly to put all such ideas together and implement them in working code on a real project with a realistic budget. Most of the ideas discussed over and over on forums really revolve around core tradeoffs that fall in the area of effects on gameplay that in real systems tip over towards either:
  • better gameplay long term
  • or more easy sales for more quick $$$$.
And short term profit$ win every time. Designers can only design the game around real world constraints of which $$ is the king of constraints: Ignore that and you run out of money fast and get either Raphs SWG, Sigil's VG or some combination in between.

In the long term there hope is that more advanced software tools will enable companies to profit from different, less myopic MMO development models, but that day is not yet here.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
https://www.legendsofaria.com/

This has potential for those of us who want an EQ kind of game (though it'll be isometric I guess). Apparently the game is completely moddable and you can have your own servers. You'll probably have to know some coding and shit, but it has potential. The base game (official server) is basically UO, so that's cool too. If the tools are good enough I'm sure some of you guys could get together and cobble together something EQ like.

Oldbased

> Than U
Well I managed to find some half ass information 20ish pages back. Anything new in the past 1.5 months from someone who bookmarked this piece of shit?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Reht

Molten Core Raider
https://www.legendsofaria.com/

This has potential for those of us who want an EQ kind of game (though it'll be isometric I guess). Apparently the game is completely moddable and you can have your own servers. You'll probably have to know some coding and shit, but it has potential. The base game (official server) is basically UO, so that's cool too. If the tools are good enough I'm sure some of you guys could get together and cobble together something EQ like.

I played in one of the early alphas before they changed the name from Shards Online and the game was pretty craptastic, but i hope they can pull the core game together because the ability to make your own server (loved NWN for this reason) is pretty intriguing.

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Oh that's shards? Thought it read like shards. It's cool in concept, but the fact that you can just tweak servers to your liking rubs me the wrong way. What ever happened to "You're in our world now!"? It's like mmos are designed around as much convenience, concession and accessibility as they can fit in.

Pantheon's slogan should go a step further than EQ. You're in Our World Now, sissy.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh that's shards? Thought it read like shards. It's cool in concept, but the fact that you can just tweak servers to your liking rubs me the wrong way. What ever happened to "You're in our world now!"? It's like mmos are designed around as much convenience, concession and accessibility as they can fit in.

Pantheon's slogan should go a step further than EQ. You're in Our World Now, sissy.

Worked for Dark Souls! It's really invigorating playing on EQ Lite where the death stings just a little. Nothing compared to live back in the day but it does sting just enough that I take measures to avoid it and do things cautiously.

Make death sting Pantheon!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This - i remember exploring being a challenge and dying just going across iceclad the first time

The game world needs to be dangerous. That's my biggest griped about WoW is that nothing is remotely worrisome. Just slightly inconvenient.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not sure why people bitch about that. Its well understood that this game is built on foundation that EQ (and Vanguard) created as that is who is developing the game and that kind of game is what they wish to recreate.

Other "modern" MMOs are not really good to compare it with.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
New screen shots and they hired a professional shiller + senior lady tester (I mean these are necessary things to sell and test don't get me wrong).

Just going to wait for the next announced Brad stream before poisoning my mind with thinking about a new age "classic MMO" again.

• 1Salty

Fordrynn

N00b
This isnt going to be some huge MMO that returns to the golden age. All we can hope for is that Pantheon has all the charm of EQ.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users