Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As they said in the past, animations would be tweaked much further along. They have made some progress though, but a ways to go on that front.

This is where animations were 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I watched for about 30-40 minutes, looks boring as hell. Like very amateurish. Will have to see if that improves or something changes. The game looks and seems to play like it was supposed to be out over 10 years ago.

It sure as hell doesn't look like two years of work from that video above to whats on that stream.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
Oh indeed, looks better now. But they still move like they got a stick up their ass.

Edit: and i agree with the above statement. Ten years ago this would have been very impressive. Thats why i said it looks like eq 2 at max setting. in 2018 ? Not so much.

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
I'm not sure how/why anyone here is expecting to be impressed with the looks or animations of the game. Pantheon is for the select few who still go ape-shit over EQ TLP servers. The only way to approach this game is to watch someone streaming EQ Coirnav right now, then switch and watch the Pantheon stream.

From what I've seen today, it does get my hopes up some...kind of excited to see what they pull off.

Last edited:
  • 1Barf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
Don't really care if the graphics don't look like the top of the line current MMO's. It'd be nice but, I'll take interesting gameplay over gorgeous graphics all day. ESO looks amazing yet bores the shit out of me. So boring it feels like a chore to play.

• 2Solidarity

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
I'm not sure what people expect to see while watching a classic style MMO, because none of them look interesting to play while watching them.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 3 users

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Gameplay looks like EQ, which I am totally OK with. The graphics need to improve though. This shit needs to have eye candy galore to be successful. I watching this actually has me interested. I always loved EQ just wished they would have updated the graphics in the last 100 years. Looks like we will have Pantheon to do that for us. Impressed they have made it this far with all the obstacles they have faced. Good for them.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man the apologist already pouring in.

I obviously wont give a final verdict until I can play it myself without having to pay, but you can still give opinions based on what you see in the stream and it's exactly as I described above. If people's sole reason for playing it is just to go back to harsh penalties, open world racing, forced grouping and other things from their rose colored past, while having shitty environments, shitty combat and just boring everything else, well I feel nothing but pity.

Also quite a few classic MMOs look interesting while watching them. Even EQ at times can be interesting to watch, especially the more complex classes.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty

Raponchi

Frog
<Donor>
It's silly to say you don't care how it looks. I mean common. It could be the second coming of MMO god but if it was stick figures that shit would not fly. Strawman, but you get my point. I also prefer gameplay above eye candy, but when your character runs around with a stick up his ass and does the 3 same moves everytime it gets stale, no matter how fun it is.

• 1Picard

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
The pre-alpha disclaimer is a little disingenuous at this point as this game has been in development for 5 years.

Pre-alpha means that the game as a whole is mostly incomplete and there are only bits and pieces of working, or at least testable, code. There are still major features and systems yet to be implemented, and they might not even know what the fuck they're going to implement those systems yet because the "plans" only exist on napkins and backs of envelopes.

Alpha means they've at least attempted to put the framework for everything important in place and hopefully the different systems will mostly work together without breaking each other too badly. There are still lots of placeholders and incomplete messes that need to be cleaned up or hidden or aborted at this stage.

Beta means the core systems work almost all of the time for almost all people and there "shouldn't" be any significant changes at this point, only fixes for the things that have already been designed but aren't working as intended.

The way the gaming industry works lately though, a lot of games call Alpha "early access" and Beta is as good as they ever get.

• 1Solidarity

Raign

Golden Squire
It's silly to say you don't care how it looks. I mean common. It could be the second coming of MMO god but if it was stick figures that shit would not fly. Strawman, but you get my point. I also prefer gameplay above eye candy, but when your character runs around with a stick up his ass and does the 3 same moves everytime it gets stale, no matter how fun it is.

Not at all true. I have spent countless hours playing Slay the Spire and even back on the old EQ emulators and enjoy the shit out of them despite the horrible graphics. Would it be great if this had smooth animations like Wow with graphics like BDO? Of course. But to say a game is basically unplayable because it stiff is garbage.

That said, this is like the third time we have seen the same dungeon and in streams over a year apart. Frankly, unless they have a SHIT TON of zones they just don't want to reveal yet (unlikely as hell...) this is honestly going to die long before it releases.

• 2Solidarity

Dullahan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Things have improved with every stream. As long as they don't stop improving, it's safe to expect it to look pretty good by launch. Combat animations are looking solid. Running/walking does look stiff, especially when transitioning to strafing or combat.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Things have improved with every stream. As long as they don't stop improving, it's safe to expect it to look pretty good by launch. Combat animations are looking solid. Running/walking does look stiff, especially when transitioning to strafing or combat.

You are about as unbiased as convo, your post history just screams it. Actually you sound just like him, so can I just assume you are another employee in hiding and will come out some time later? You guys need to learn to hide yourselves better. When 95% of your posts are in all 1 thread about 1 game, defending it since the start, it just paints a big red sign. The shill for SC(Varisse I think) was the exact same way before he poofed).

• 4Like
  • 3Salty
Reactions: 6 users

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Man the apologist already pouring in.

I obviously wont give a final verdict until I can play it myself without having to pay, but you can still give opinions based on what you see in the stream and it's exactly as I described above. If people's sole reason for playing it is just to go back to harsh penalties, open world racing, forced grouping and other things from their rose colored past, while having shitty environments, shitty combat and just boring everything else, well I feel nothing but pity.

Also quite a few classic MMOs look interesting while watching them. Even EQ at times can be interesting to watch, especially the more complex classes.

If we disagree with you we're apologists? Slower paced combat looks unappealing as shit to me, EQ has never looked interesting to watch to me.

• 1Barf

stereo

You are about as unbiased as convo, your post history just screams it. Actually you sound just like him, so can I just assume you are another employee in hiding and will come out some time later? You guys need to learn to hide yourselves better. When 95% of your posts are in all 1 thread about 1 game, defending it since the start, it just paints a big red sign. The shill for SC(Varisse I think) was the exact same way before he poofed).

His name popped up in the stream, so I'm assuming he pledged for pre-alpha.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Definitely has the EQ / Vanguard vibe. And you can tell they are making progress.

But I agree with many of the complaints here, alpha or not, the game still needs a lot of work.

• 1Barf

Dullahan

So what you're saying is things haven't improved? When you can't even concede the obvious, it makes you look irrational, not me.

This is one of the most popular pantheon threads on the internet, so it's the only reason I post on this forum.

• 1Barf
  • 1Like

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Kool-Aid-Dispenser.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Raign

Golden Squire
Definitely has the EQ / Vanguard vibe. And you can tell they are making progress.

But I agree with many of the complaints here, alpha or not, the game still needs a lot of work.

Yeah, I totally agree. They are making progress, and honestly the game really appeals to me, but they absolutely NEED to find funding to hire a larger team. I mean, if you consider Thronefast and surrounding is one of what, 6 starting cities? Even if they pull a 'Oh the Trolls start in the ogre city because their city was taken over by Pantho-frogloks' they are still sitting on MAYBE 1/5th of the content they need. Their compelling argument for no instancing is that if the world is sprawling enough and deep enough, it isn't necessary, and while I agree with this -- you actually need to have a world large enough to support that.

I am sure someone will chime in with 'environment are quick to build in unity etc etc', but it getting tough to buy into that when they clearly are NOT building out new environments, quick or otherwise because they simply don't have the man power.

Here's hoping they show something new on Tuesday but I believe we are seeing.. someone else do Halnir's.