Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Glad we have something that isn't another McMMO to look forward to
Bitch have you seen 2020? Why the fuck would you look forward to anything other than that a swift apocalyptic death at the hands of Giant Meteor, Nibiru, Aliums, or some other Extinction Level Event?
Covfefe(1).gif

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Bitch have you seen 2020? Why the fuck would you look forward to anything other than that a swift apocalyptic death at the hands of Giant Meteor, Nibiru, Aliums, or some other Extinction Level Event?
View attachment 289967

Devolving into an Orwellian society that broadcasts extremely violent shows featuring convicts.

Don't be so negative.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
State of the Game update tonight was basically that they rebooted the entire game sometime in the last year or so and are redoing everything from zones to classes. Right now they have two classes in game (Shaman and Dire Lord) if I understood them correctly. They are also actively removing any posts on the forums questioning or criticizing them. Im going to speculate that they received significant funding after Brad's death from some source or another, and they decided they had the means to reboot the entire project incognito. All those 2025 jokes? That's the reality at best.

So what you're saying is that Brad left all his money to VR in his will to make sure his vision would be made manifest and as soon as he's gone they're changing the direction away from that? loll

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
So what you're saying is that Brad left all his money to VR in his will to make sure his vision would be made manifest and as soon as he's gone they're changing the direction away from that? loll

Your premise is correct essentially. We know his assets went to his wife and then when she died a month later, most likely everything went to the 22 year old daughter. Somewhere in that time frame, Joppa said VR got the blessing from Brad's family to continue making the game. Hopefully, the kid didn't put up her entire inheritance as collateral and tell Joppa to get the thing to release. They got money from somewhere, I'm hoping it was from industry veterans that wanted to see Brad's final project completed as opposed to the kid. Regardless, it does seem like he died and they immediately shifted away from the EQ successor Brad was hoping to make. Whether that proves to be the right decision, I guess we'll see, but I don't like it.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Brad was so hard up for cash he took the kickstarter money. I really don't see him having bundles of cash or assets squirrelled away to invest in VR upon his death.

If he or the wife had any life policies they might have paid out but I don't see the daughter investing in VR. Normal practice is to take financial planning advice if you have a larger payout and there's not a financial advisor on this planet that would recommend you invest in VR even if it is Brad's legacy.

I don't think VR has much money at all, let alone large amounts of investor capital to play around with.

yamikazo

Trakanon Raider
I don't think VR has much money at all, let alone large amounts of investor capital to play around with.

I don't know why you'd think that.

VR has been paying industry veterans for 7+ years. Their team has grown from a dozen at the start to 60 just a year later and now they have over 100 proven devs on their team woking hard to push out the best game since WoW.

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

zinc_turtle

Trakanon Raider
The fuck is a climbing MMO?
Apparently, it's like this:
panth-climbing-zones1.png
Assign a tier of content to a color, and each column represents a zone.
Now, you gate content, vertically, so that your players get the joy of running around to all the zones, and can only climb so high in that zone to consume that content.
Of course, the whole problem of Unity and performance in this regard has apparently escaped their notice, but I'm sure it'll be fine, right? They're all industry veterans who have at least 6.5 years working with Unity, so there's no way they could have missed that if you don't cull visibility appropriately, frame rate plummets to single digits trying to do what they're doing, in any reasonably sized (large-ish) outdoor area.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Give the team some credit, they really have their finger on the pulse of the MMO community. I know I was losing sleep at night hoping and praying that climbing would be in the game from day 1...

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
All this for interesting_thing_01. I don't want interesting_thing_01. I want an MMO I can play and not spend the few remaining years at my computer, grinding shit out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Letsinod

Lord Nagafen Raider
Your premise is correct essentially. We know his assets went to his wife and then when she died a month later, most likely everything went to the 22 year old daughter. Somewhere in that time frame, Joppa said VR got the blessing from Brad's family to continue making the game. Hopefully, the kid didn't put up her entire inheritance as collateral and tell Joppa to get the thing to release. They got money from somewhere, I'm hoping it was from industry veterans that wanted to see Brad's final project completed as opposed to the kid. Regardless, it does seem like he died and they immediately shifted away from the EQ successor Brad was hoping to make. Whether that proves to be the right decision, I guess we'll see, but I don't like it.

What is the source of his wife dying a month later? I missed that.