Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
If it goes that way, I wonder if you can get away with the star citizen model. build a city let the backers just play that and build it out zone by zone.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
He could use the EQ Next model, send a copy of C++ to a million kids and have them make the game over Christmas and the summer holidays. That way if it sucks he can say, "well you made it!"

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I wonder how much of what has been discussed in this thread is simply our wishful thinking.
Everything in this thread is wishful thinking, mixed with a good portion of armchair developing and nostalgia. Would be nice to get that kickstarter (if that rumor is even true) because it will give us a picture of the direction they are going for. Right now this not-even-announced project is everything to everyone, and that will obviously not be a reality.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Elidroth is theSOE spotlight developer. Maybe he just knows of the project or maybe he hasn't officially said peace to SOE just yet.

You're right Creed. If this Kickstarter is happening, it needs to happen soon because I'm hurting for answers.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure he wants to talk about it but there is the whole managing expectations thing. I've asked him and he's been great with giving me info but he just wasn't ready to put details out.:-( I get the feeling he will eventually join this thread when the time is right.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He already reads it.. I'm sure he has read just about everything at this point. The mods are pretty good with trolling and he doesn't have to respond to the BS stuff. I think he understands people have every right to be cautious in regards to his new project. Of course people will take it too far and go personal but that's the internet..

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kidding, I agree. It was weird when I started playing P99 and I wasn't able to carry 12 sets of armor in my pockets.
Playing on P99 made me realize how hard you could game the system with all the knowledge of the game good to go prior to expansion launches. I've got a cleric with a donals, manastone, guise, firepot bind etc. He's a walking god as far as kunark is concerned--all legit, too. I kind of think while things like these were unique, balance has a place in these games, too.

JordanJax_sl

shitlord
I would like some clarification on his vision? and what his intentions are. I wonder how much of what has been discussed in this thread is simply our wishful thinking.Pre-beta Vanguard was as close as we could hope for. However as we all know, he took a giant motherfucking meat cleaver to it all and what was released was some sort of bastardized, half-baked, watered down crap fest.And the sad part is, it was still more fun than EQ2 or WOW or any other shithole of a game that's out there today.
Pre-Beta VG: if that's the vision he has for this game (or anything close)...that's the game i would play for a long time. I remember in the early VG development days Sigil posted their (Brad's?) vision for the game. It went into great detail with regards to what they thought would make a great mmorpg: no instancing, massive world with regional economies, death penalties were a necessity to create excitement and the true sense of danger and consequences, slower more tactical combat vs button mashing, politics (which unfortunately turned into a card game) having an impact on the world, classes and defined roles, massive dungeons, slower leveling curve for game longevity, itemization much closer to the EQ model vs WoW etc etc.

They shared their entire vision and it was almost word for word what i wanted in a mmorpg. I remember feeling so lucky that the Sigil team or Brad or whoever was responsible for that vision wanted almost exactly what i wanted in every design phase of the game.

Then i remember how pissed off i was when, as Merlin stated, they started dismantling that vision piece by piece to appeal to the casuals. First the combat become watered down and more button mashy, the leveling curve was sped up to the point where it was a joke (you would outlevel an entire area and any good item you picked up in that area before you were even halfway done with the questline in that area), death penalties were reduced, items became more like the Wow model and on and on...to watch that vision crumble away was painful.

At any rate...here's to hoping Brad has something more in mind like that original vision vs the aborted vision post-apocolyptic end result (which was still better than anything else out there if not for the broken engine). If he does, count me in.

Bruman

Golden Squire
If they stick to a vision like that, I hope they're smart enough to not have a lot of servers, even if it leads to overcrowding at the start. Because very few of today's market will sit through that. If a new game like that today could get even 50k people I'd be surprised and happy.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Pre-Beta VG: if that's the vision he has for this game (or anything close)...that's the game i would play for a long time. I remember in the early VG development days Sigil posted their (Brad's?) vision for the game. It went into great detail with regards to what they thought would make a great mmorpg: no instancing, massive world with regional economies, death penalties were a necessity to create excitement and the true sense of danger and consequences, slower more tactical combat vs button mashing, politics (which unfortunately turned into a card game) having an impact on the world, classes and defined roles, massive dungeons, slower leveling curve for game longevity, itemization much closer to the EQ model vs WoW etc etc.

They shared their entire vision and it was almost word for word what i wanted in a mmorpg. I remember feeling so lucky that the Sigil team or Brad or whoever was responsible for that vision wanted almost exactly what i wanted in every design phase of the game.

Then i remember how pissed off i was when, as Merlin stated, they started dismantling that vision piece by piece to appeal to the casuals. First the combat become watered down and more button mashy, the leveling curve was sped up to the point where it was a joke (you would outlevel an entire area and any good item you picked up in that area before you were even halfway done with the questline in that area), death penalties were reduced, items became more like the Wow model and on and on...to watch that vision crumble away was painful.

At any rate...here's to hoping Brad has something more in mind like that original vision vs the aborted vision post-apocolyptic end result (which was still better than anything else out there if not for the broken engine). If he does, count me in.
That is not what happened at all, at least not in the time period I was there (before the first beta through the parking lot time). Not to mention nearly everything you mentioned in the first paragraph was there at launch.

The game, as it was delivered in the very first Beta, was a complete train wreck. The game that eventually launched was a vast improvement in every way despite all its still remaining drawbacks.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
If they stick to a vision like that, I hope they're smart enough to not have a lot of servers, even if it leads to overcrowding at the start. Because very few of today's market will sit through that. If a new game like that today could get even 50k people I'd be surprised and happy.
One thing I hope in this regard is that they allow first names and surnames and make them unique across all servers. I was always pissed at having to change my name due to circumstances out of my control or because of a merge I didnt want in the first place. I even quit one game over that, although I guess it was the last drop in a sea of frustration (WAR).