Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

So I was reading a book about Everquest the other night, and this one part pretty much said that people had been super stoked and excited playing MUDs. And then Everquest came along and took MUDs to the next level and recaptured the original awe and excitement of MUDs.
MY opinion is that MMOs really haven't been taken to that next level. We're just kinda... stagnant.
So now someone needs to take MMOs to the next level...and recapture the original excitement...
^__^
less mmo, more esl
^__^

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"hard mode" != intrinsically more time consuming.
perhaps i should said instead: we only think we want something new - but what we want is familiar.
I think using the word hard messes people up. Yea, I want some hard and challenging content but EQ had other things. Consequence was a big one.. I guess that goes with risk/reward.. For me there are a few things I would hope Brad focuses on. Things like sense of danger, unique items such as clickies. We've said it before but Jboots and Staff of Tflux paired so well for the Wizard class. Those 2 items allowed players to take that class to a whole new level of fun.. For me that is the big one.. Fun.. All those abilities players had, the Mezz, the fears, kiting abilities, FD, etc.. Put them back in the game. Why can't another MMO replicate quading by a Wizard or Druid? Why did we even do away with such a fun tactic? I don't want or need the wheel reinvented. There are all kinds of solutions to create a true EQ sequel and not have it look like vanilla WoW.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
So I was reading a book about Everquest the other night, and this one part pretty much said that people had been super stoked and excited playing MUDs. And then Everquest came along and took MUDs to the next level and recaptured the original awe and excitement of MUDs.
MY opinion is that MMOs really haven't been taken to that next level. We're just kinda... stagnant.
So now someone needs to take MMOs to the next level...and recapture the original excitement...
^__^
I'd say quite a few of us grew up reading Tolkien and playing AD&D.. Then moved up to Commodore or Apple games.. then to online games a la Doors and MUDS. Everquest was the next progression for most of us in that same vein, and was a huge amazing jump.

Then we got older and realized the only thing left was a holodeck, which wouldn't be coming out in the next 200 years and despaired...

Those who started playing EQ at 10 and moved to WOW probably didn't follow this path and still hold hope for some sort of MMO Jesus to save you.. More power to you.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Look at the "souls" games, is there alot of /ragequit in those? Yep, but they are very succesfull and full of younger players.
I can't tell you the number of times an MMO has pissed me off so bad I uninstalled that shit, but guess what, I always came back because I refused to let that specific encounter beat me. People are always gonna bitch but if your game is good enough they WILL return.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's easier to quit these newer mmos than it was to quit EQ or even WoW. Just less character attachment.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
It's easier to quit these newer mmos than it was to quit EQ or even WoW. Just less character attachment.
Yet many of these MMOs have rabid followers in the same vein. So, is it newer MMOs or us?

I think many of us have done the diku mud treadmill to death and it just isn't intriguing.

The Souls games are brilliant, which is why many people played through it. However, I'd say there were an equal number who did not go back. The problem with MMOs, even WOW, is they don't have that Dark Souls vision of what the game wants to be. Most want to be social games, instead of competitive ones.

Also, Dark Souls is great pure fantasy game with a lot of hooks into things that appeal to a wide array of gamers, young and old, but not due to its design but in spite of it.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Dark/demons souls are definitely my games of the generation. They were a lot of fun to play, they innovated with how multiplayer worked, and they did so many cool things all around. I'm sure a lot of people did get mad and ragequit dark souls, and I'm fine with that. There are a million QTE-driven-cinematic-tripe-filled easy and boring games for them to go play; dark souls was great in that it actually catered to a niche that didn't want a totally watered down game aimed at pleasing the masses. That's what I think MMOs need. a niche game that caters to the crowd who want a more challenging world that they have to survive in, rather than the usual themepark treadmill of +betterer stats thrown at the player endlessly and for no real effort. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it's what I want to play.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yet many of these MMOs have rabid followers in the same vein. So, is it newer MMOs or us?

I think many of us have done the diku mud treadmill to death and it just isn't intriguing.

The Souls games are brilliant, which is why many people played through it. However, I'd say there were an equal number who did not go back. The problem with MMOs, even WOW, is they don't have that Dark Souls vision of what the game wants to be. Most want to be social games, instead of competitive ones.

Also, Dark Souls is great pure fantasy game with a lot of hooks into things that appeal to a wide array of gamers, young and old, but not due to its design but in spite of it.
I disagree. A lot of the new mmos don't have the same player retention ad games such as EQ, UO, DAOC, WoW etc.. The turnover rate is much higher. People play for months not years.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I disagree. A lot of the new mmos don't have the same player retention ad games such as EQ, UO, DAOC, WoW etc.. The turnover rate is much higher. People play for months not years.
If I was a dev for any recent MMO I would cry myself to sleep at night. Thousands of hours of work, millions and millions of dollars, and people play for a month, then never come back. The games are flawed and people refuse to stop rehashing WOW clones.

Only way this game will be a success is.

Make the level cap low so you aren't wasting 90% of your content creation on shit you blast through. Hell send everyone on a boat to a island to learn there class with everyone else with mini dungeons and crafting etc. When they leave they are max.
Make up for it with AA / Skill Quest / Spell Creation/ Epic Quest / Cool Gear

Open world but do them like EQ2 and only allow like 60 people or whatever in them then create a new one.

All raid bosses are open world and contested or spawned through guild progress on a quest.

PhoneticHalo_sl

shitlord
Only way this game will be a success is.

Make the level cap low so you aren't wasting 90% of your content creation on shit you blast through. Hell send everyone on a boat to a island to learn there class with everyone else with mini dungeons and crafting etc. When they leave they are max.
Make up for it with AA / Skill Quest / Spell Creation/ Epic Quest / Cool Gear

Open world but do them like EQ2 and only allow like 60 people or whatever in them then create a new one.

All raid bosses are open world and contested or spawned through guild progress on a quest.
Please no.

Bruman

Golden Squire
FWIW, EQ did better than modern MMOs at keeping content worth revisiting in some fashion. Most zones had a wide range of levels, and you'd come back later to finally do That Quest or your Epic, or to farm gear for resistance gear, or to twink our new alts.

Not saying you'd go back at 50 and spend all week checking out Befallen, or grinding exp in it at 30, but there was usually reasons to have to keep going back around the world to various nooks and crannies. I remember going back to work on one of my headband (or sash?) quests as a monk. Then again to get my robe again after having to turn it in for my epic.