Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
How can you call wow classic a zoned game. Tons of areas had wide open seamless boarders and the ones that didn't you could still climb the mountains and swim around the coast to access most zones from almost any direction.

Mob leashing shouldn't relate to zones. Having mobs leash after 2 feet is dumb but so is training them for 10 minutes to some arbitrary line drawn in the world.

You can talk about transition from everfrost and I raise you transition to loch Modan from dun moragh, thousand times better. Or transition from loch modan to that lava zone through the long tunnel. Point is eq and wow had good transitions because those teams were good and not because of zones vs no zones.

If the retard Greeks who made darkfall can have a seamless world with good transition anyone can.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is probably the last MMO I will actively follow. I have no hope that any of the major publishers will take enough risks to create a challenging old-school MMORPG. So here are the things I'd like to see...

• Leveling - Mimic the design of the original Guild Wars from a level/progression perspective. Make max level low (20 to 25) but long and make progression based on skill and gear acquisition.
  • World Design - Seamless open world with instanced dungeons. Dungeons would stack instances based on # of people within it, same as EQ2. Content would all be contested.
  • Text input to interact with NPCs beyond basic commands (Buy, Sell, Repair, etc.) See11:52 minutes into this Shroud of the Avatar video for modern implentaton.
  • Quest begun (or found) through various non obvious triggers. Example: While deep in remote dungeon you find a piece of old parchment. Examine old parchment and find the following text inscribed "Property of R.J." yadda, yadda. No other indications given, other than it being transcribed to your in-game journal. Absolutely, no exclamation points, baubles, light-bulbs, etc over an NPC's head.
  • Example of in-game journal...
    rrr_img_56194.jpg
  • Quests that reward spells. This is a greatexample.
  • Groups Finding - A LFG tool similar to Guild Wars 2. Allow some sort of insta-travel for groups (long cool down (once a day?) "Call of the Hero" type mechanism.) Only possible if they have already previously visited that locale.
  • Skills/Spells would be limited like EverQuest. I would break it into in-combat, out-combat. Easliy switch between builds.
  • Merchant that sell back what I sell them.
  • No floating damage numbers.
  • No in-game GPS. If maps are in-game, I would expect them to be the vague "hand-drawn" variety.
  • Interesting worthwhile loot. Seethis.
  • Epic weapons as the result of epic quests.
  • Long cool down, mob pulverizing, hate generating spells. I want Ice Comet back.
  • Furthermore, minimize Fire Spell I, Fire Spell II, Fire Spell III usage. Garrison's Mighty Mana Shock, Chaos Flame and Force Spiral of Al'Kabor sound much more memorable.
  • Bring back fizzles, misses, etc.
  • No to flying mounts.
  • Yes to boats
  • Fully skinable UI. Hire T. King to do contract work for custom interface. Have him prioritize the Celtic verison first. Make it a Kickstarter goal.
    smile.png
This is almost the exact game I want minus the instances. Throw in a solid first person view, trains and ugly looking ogres and trolls and I'm sold. FAT ugly ogre women ftw!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
The sky isn't falling, no need.
I'll admit, this made me laugh after your radioactive fish thread!
biggrin.png

Anyway, I don't really care how they connect the world, as long as it's not intrusive and the game is fun. Zoning was never really an issue for me in EQ, but I still stand by the opinion that it was only zoned because of server or graphical/engine limitations and not anything else. I think most designers would prefer the world be seamless and not take you out of it, if at all possible.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
How can you call wow classic a zoned game. Tons of areas had wide open seamless boarders and the ones that didn't you could still climb the mountains and swim around the coast to access most zones from almost any direction.
. Vanilla wow had its adventuring areas and around each area was crap, unfinished terrain, impassible mountains and etc. I don't think you explored the outer boundaries as much as you think you did. It was zoned.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
One thing I am not sure we mentioned was equipment on characters. I really liked Vanguard's version of this with different equipment for harvesting/Adventuring/diplo/crafting/mount/harvesting. Certainly added a lot to the crafting side of things.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
One thing I am not sure we mentioned was equipment on characters. I really liked Vanguard's version of this with different equipment for harvesting/Adventuring/diplo/crafting/mount/harvesting. Certainly added a lot to the crafting side of things.
I enjoyed the option of adding items to mounts as well as the things you mentioned.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is almost the exact game I want minus the instances and seamless world. Throw in a solid first person view, trains and ugly looking ogres and trolls and I'm sold. FAT ugly ogre women ftw!
I can't believe I left out the 1st person view. Also, add in the soundtrack byTodd Masten(Nino) and make one of the kickstarter goals to make it fully orchestrated.
smile.png

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
If there is no training, Ill pass. Really want split pulling and training. In short, a game that makes the "I want it now" crowd cry.

Khayos_sl

shitlord
The things I would like to see and not see in Pantheon all harken back to the original EQ for the most part.

• Levels 1 to 50 to start, and have them take 3 months minimum for the 24 hour a day hardcore players, and 6 months to ayear or morefor the folks who play 12 hours or less a day.
  • Make loot scarce, make awesome loot even more scarce. I didn't see my first Magic weapon drop until I was level 30 in EQ.
  • Bring back harsh death penalties. Corpse runs and XP loss. They are brutal, but they make people insanely better players, and the people who cannot hack it, leave and go play a game where death is trivial. It weeds out the men and women from the boys and girls.
  • Have monsters that can only be killed by magic, or magic weapons like Willowisps. Likewise have mobs that are immune to magic and can only be killed by melee.
  • No level or binding restrictions on gear(Except high end raid gear or class quest rewards.)
  • A nice clean UI like GW2(arguably the only thing they did well)
  • Do not include GW2 Weapon swap system.
  • AA system
  • Punishing(fail a combine and lose the mats) and Rewarding crafting system(earring of the Solstice Quest anyone?)
  • Kithicor kind of danger for more than just one zone. Have night time really matter.
  • No Flying Mounts or Fast travel provided by the world itself(EQ PoK type portals, or EQ2 Druid Rings and Wizard Spires, and Flight path)! Players should have the only means of fast travel through specific buffs and class abilities. IE( SoW, Druid Portals, Wizard Portals, Bard Selos etc), and Ground mounts should be Very difficult/Expensive to obtain.
  • Epic Class Weapon and Armor Quests
  • IF Soloing is going to be allowed, make it so that it requires ALOT more skill than grouping. In EQ Soloing was not easy. Few classes and players could do it, and fewer could do it well. Druids and Bards were exceptional at it(Quad Kiting), if the player had skill. Necros were great for 1 on 1 soloing, and some Clerics. I am sure there were others, but it was few and far between.
  • Limited Skills available at a time. 8-14 skills on a hot bar and the rest of your abilities in your spell book or ability log. You can swap them out for different encounters, but it promotes strategizing versus button mashing to get the job done.
  • Unique Starting areas for each race(unless the races can share it like High Elves, Half Elves and Wood Elves in GFay, or Humans and Half Elves getting Freeport, or Qeynos.
  • I think Action combat would be cool if it was like TERA and every Mob was as strong as a their group difficulty monsters(not BAMs. BAMs would be bosses and raid mobs). I do Understand that alot of folks who played EQ do not like combat that is fast and a bit twitchy. I do think though that this would be one of those situations where it is the logical evolution of static tab target combat.
  • No Auction houses, players should have to travel to each other, or a specified location like EC Tunnel, to peddle their wares.
  • Vendordiving. We should be able to sell something to a vendor, and that item becomes part of their inventory to sell to other players at what ever price the vendor gives it. One mans trash is another mans treasure.
  • Giving pets weapons and such that you dont want so they can use them should be returned. Necro pets with fine steel weapons was awesome!
  • Subscription ONLY, No F2P and Do not incorporate micro-transactions. This method of funding is a trap. Money and talent that should be spent making content for people to find in game is wasted to nickel and dime people for more scratch. If you Make a an amazing game, Subscriptions are not a problem. people rush to you to give you money. Yes you can make an average of 30+ dollars per player versus a Subscription, but at the cost of invasive stores, and wasting resources to make stuff we will buy, which would have been more exciting dropping from monsters. I mean really? Greed is what ruined MMO's in the first place and brought them to the dark place they are now, and F2P or micro-transactions are not going to fix it. They only make the greed WORSE.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
If there is no training, Ill pass. Really want split pulling and training. In short, a game that makes the "I want it now" crowd cry.
Training? That's the deal breaker for you? Can you perhaps explain... Why? What was so integral to EverQuest about training?

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I went to EQ2 and wow and there is no fear at all of any npcs anywhere that you havent tagged. Trains in EQ would wander and attack anyone anywhere not just the person who tagged them. This effect made the open dungeons of EQ unique in that there was a general fear of being tained. Trains go hand in hand with experience loss and corpse recovery, they are what made EQ great along with day/night and the fear of whats deeper in the next dungeon.
"
Being trained sucked, but knowing who did it and knowing that they ruined their own rep was great. "Oh man there is that pos that trained us, lets get him back!"

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
[*]Subscription ONLY, No F2P and Do not incorporate micro-transactions. This method of funding is a trap. Money and talent that should be spent making content for people to find in game is wasted to nickel and dime people for more scratch. If you Make a an amazing game, Subscriptions are not a problem. people rush to you to give you money. Yes you can make an average of 30+ dollars per player versus a Subscription, but at the cost of invasive stores, and wasting resources to make stuff we will buy, which would have been more exciting dropping from monsters. I mean really? Greed is what ruined MMO's in the first place and brought them to the dark place they are now, and F2P or micro-transactions are not going to fix it. They only make the greed WORSE.
Most of your post looks like you just want to play EQ again...other than that...I mostly do not like Free to Play, it's almost always done very poorly, however...

The only game I've played that has done it right is Path of Exile. That game has proven, if you do F2P and don't shove it in people's faces and have a solid game, you can be very successful. I didn't even realize I could buy shit for months, I thought they were running a purely donate system. Now you can't miss it as you see their current deal of the day on the log in screen...this is the only place you see the transaction portion of the game, once...when you log in. Not intrusive to the game at all, and I've never felt like I needed to buy anything.

Anyways, I think your statement of "If you make an amazing game subscriptions are not a problem", can apply in the exact same way with F2P. I would not have agreed with that before Path of Exile however.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I went to EQ2 and wow and there is no fear at all of any npcs anywhere that you havent tagged. Trains in EQ would wander and attack anyone anywhere not just the person who tagged them. This effect made the open dungeons of EQ unique in that there was a general fear of being tained. Trains go hand in hand with experience loss and corpse recovery, they are what made EQ great along with day/night and the fear of whats deeper in the next dungeon.
Okay... So not training itself... But the agro transfer system. I guess that makes a bit more sense. I like this guy above too... '6 months of 12 hour days every day to max level'. People are saying some zany shit in this thread already.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Okay... So not training itself... But the agro transfer system. I guess that makes a bit more sense. I like this guy above too... '6 months of 12 hour days every day to max level'. People are saying some zany shit in this thread already.
Same thing happened in the old VG threads like I said earlier...people want punched in the balls every time they turn a corner...ridiculous.

roger_sl

shitlord
What is great about this tread, is that most of you, who only played us/euro mmorpg's sound like a pre beta vanguard and MxO forums posters, but the ideas and tools are available now and it might work good !

Quaid

Trump's Staff
What is great about this tread, is that most of you, who only played us/euro mmorpg's sound like a pre beta vanguard and MxO forums posters, but the ideas and tools are available now and it might work good !
It might work good for sure