Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
4. Good LFG and Guild tools are a must but filtering by Gear Score sounds horrid.
Are they a must? I feel like LFG and guild tools streamline the process by removing a huge part of the social aspect. I also don't see why a gear score filter on a LFM UI doesn't make sense if LFM/LFG UIs a must.

Sunspots_sl

shitlord
You're in luck. Go back 3-4 pages and say hi to that other LoS guy in this thread
tongue.png
Ahhh Genjiro. Thanks Friend!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Still no Brad/Ben activity I can see on MMORPG.com or reddit. Haters are being allowed to control the conversation.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
I always felt that the noob armor quests they added when they did the character model "upgrades" were terrible. They really ruined the early game IMO. Now the SolRo armor quests were fantastic. Noobs should have to scrounge for rags and rusty weapons.
Agreed. Newbs should have to rely on each other like a band of weaklings, gaining skills fighting Orc pawns, preparing to infiltrate the Orc legionnaire castle. I may have started a real quest or two before level 20, but didn't dare try to finish them. Selling belts/pads and scrounging plat for banded mail and vendor diving was good fun.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Are they a must? I feel like LFG and guild tools streamline the process by removing a huge part of the social aspect. I also don't see why a gear score filter on a LFM UI doesn't make sense if LFM/LFG UIs a must.
So friend's lists? Not sure where you're going with this.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Agreed. Newbs should have to rely on each other like a band of weaklings, gaining skills fighting Orc pawns, preparing to infiltrate the Orc legionnaire castle. I may have started a real quest or two before level 20, but didn't dare try to finish them. Selling belts/pads and scrounging plat for banded mail and vendor diving was good fun.
That is fun but If there is going to be an introduction to the game Id much rather if be through you class NPC and result in your first class weapon or something. Nothing crazy. Certainly not looking to walk out In a whole set of gear after a few levels. Just a story for your character and intro to what a real quest looks like. For me it would tie the game together nicely. But to each their own.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Gotta agree here. Was it really so hard finding a group in EQ. Most people who had a hard time were just people no one wanted to group with. /shout combined with /whoall worked fine for many years. I guess I'd rather see dev time dedicated to other things, like a super robust ignore/black list feature. You know, something we could all use.

Column_sl

shitlord
The latest FF was a pretty social game, I felt they got that right in that department.

Too bad everything else was crap.

Have to make the overworld matter imho, and give people lots to do as groups throughout there leveling up.

Make 1-50 take forever.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
People would have steamrolled EQ if it was to come out now.

That content would have lasted 7 days max.
For a handful of people/guilds, maybe. I think it's the same for any MMO though. Competitive guilds have practically made a sport out of rushing through content as fast as they can, regardless of what content they bypass.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Gotta agree here. Was it really so hard finding a group in EQ. Most people who had a hard time were just people no one wanted to group with. /shout combined with /whoall worked fine for many years. I guess I'd rather see dev time dedicated to other things, like a super robust ignore/black list feature. You know, something we could all use.
I always thought it'd be funny to have ebay-like user ratings and reviews of players. Would be terrible but still funny.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
For a handful of people/guilds, maybe. I think it's the same for any MMO though. Competitive guilds have practically made a sport out of rushing through content as fast as they can, regardless of what content they bypass.
Certainly 2 or 4 someones will run a character 24x7 to max level in Pantheon in a week or ten days /played or something ridiculous.

@Tuco @Mur - good point on resources, I can live with a friend's list, resources better spent elsewhere.

Tolan

Member of the Year 2016
<Banned>
That is fun but If there is going to be an introduction to the game Id much rather if be through you class NPC and result in your first class weapon or something. Nothing crazy. Certainly not looking to walk out In a whole set of gear after a few levels. Just a story for your character and intro to what a real quest looks like. For me it would tie the game together nicely. But to each their own.
Yeah, that's alright. The class guild trainer was involved in EQ1 right from the start, and it worked well. I don't think a class weapon is necessary. The cloth tunic was enough back in the day to teach one about turning in a quest piece and receiving/equipping an item. There should be a sense of "damn, I'm such a newb" for the first few levels of the game.

delirium_sl

shitlord
One of the things that also made EQ seem more well immersive was the fact that just because you leveled, didnt mean your spells/skills were instantly granted to you. You had to buy/train them. Many mmos have gotten away from having to buy your spells and record them in your book or haveing to research them. I remember dinging level 4 and not having enough money to get all my spells.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
One of the things that also made EQ seem more well immersive was the fact that just because you leveled, didnt mean your spells/skills were instantly granted to you. You had to buy/train them. Many mmos have gotten away from having to buy your spells and record them in your book or haveing to research them. I remember dinging level 4 and not having enough money to get all my spells.
Well imo, you pick one of the 2. You either have to work for your spells, by requiring certain subquests, certain mob kills, or large amount of money to upgrade them, meaning you don't get access to everything and there's a real effort to it and that's fine, or you give all of them for free directly upon leveling. The middle ground fucking sucks and is pointless as shit, basically wow vanilla system or wildstar, where you have to go back to a trainer to unlock your skills, but they're so cheap you always have the money for them, so there is really no fucking point other than as a shitty timesink(and not even a goldsink since you can just adjust drop rates plus goldsinks are pointless as fuck while leveling, the point of goldsinks is for endgame).

From the initial descriptions of their systems though you'll have to kill mobs and what not for skills. It kinda sounded a bit like what Rift wanted to do originally, where you go around and collect souls instead of unlocking them at a NPC but it's even more than that since you collect the skills themselves, not the classes that unlock a bunch of skills.

Bruman

Golden Squire
It could definitely be very hard to find a group in EQ. It all depends on what your playtime was, and what level you were in relation to the 'era' you played during it, along with how popular your server was. Lots of times the dungeons for your level range would be overflowing. Who here doesn't remember this story:

-Log on
-Sit /lfg at the zone entrance for an hour or two
-Finally get an invite, only to go to the camp, have a wipe happen, group immediately disbands
-Noone in the zone is willing / able to rez
-You log out in anger due to the night being not only a huge waste of time, but you're actually worse off than when you logged in

Seriously, that's like...the main EQ experience for a lot of people, that happened all the time. Yet we kept on playing! Or, you say "well, I'll go to that other dungeon that's less crowded, even though the exp is worse or I'm kinda starting to out level it", only to spend hours traveling, get there, and the group to disband when you finally arrive. Now you're stuck at a shitty dungeon still with noone to play with.

There are all things that are highly mitigated once you get a guild and/or a good circle of friends, definitely. But they're issues. That doesn't mean we need instant-teleports to wherever you desire, or removal of the death penalty, or all instances all the time. But there does need to be a good solution that address the issues that need to be fixed, while keeping the good from a immersive world where travel is important, the world is huge, death is scary, and you need your friends to survive.

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
The big things that made EQ take a time commitment in EQ were:
1. Camps.
2. Really slow combat, buffing periods and regen.
3. Getting to the content you wanted took a long time. (either because it's at the bottom of a dungeon or the world is large and there's no fast travel)
4. Most content required a group to complete and there were no good tools to do so.

I feel like most people would be pretty happy with #1 and #2 being gone. #3 I think is critical to keep. #4 is interesting because if you implement a way to automatically group with people and filter people by gear score you can easily find groups without really socializing.
The latest FF was a pretty social game, I felt they got that right in that department.

Too bad everything else was crap.

Have to make the overworld matter imho, and give people lots to do as groups throughout there leveling up.

Make 1-50 take forever.
The reason for them trying to kill twinking is the same reason they had time sinks/investments such as long med times, etc: The longer it took you to play though to max level, the longer you were likely to stay subscribed. That was the name of the game. WoW took a completely different approach, in that they tried to have a larger pool of things to do and give the leveling/play-through experience large enough variety that you were more likely to repeat it. Make no mistake, though, keeping you paying the monthly fee was the goal. That was why druids bragging about making 50 with less than 30 days /played prompted nerfs.

Grave_sl

shitlord
I personally liked slow regen in both EQ1 and FFXI. It was a really nice way to gauge character power and group efficiency on smaller encounters as you really noticed not only how fast you were killing but how much downtime you had. When things were good and you were chewing through mobs it felt awesome, but you had to earn that. Without it, it's just can you beat this encounter or not and it doesn't matter how efficiently you do it as long as you win.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Should we expect more updates from Brad around 6 EST? It seems the times he has posted here have been 6-11 EST.