Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is what I don't get, they say they've been working on this since September, but everything we've seen looks like it's what they came up with 2 weeks ago. Doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence, especially when your asking money from people.
Yeah, this doesn't look like 5 months of work for what they've shown(ie they might have something not shown, like the actual world, but who knows).

Lol@ Trathos, Joined Yesterday and post history in this thread only. Where's all the usual conspiracy theorist.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Well, again, it goes back to what I said on there. I think you have to be realistic, they are doing kickstarter for a reason. They have a small team. That small team of like 10 can only work on so much at once. They don't even have a studio yet. People aren't used to looking at those pre-alpha shots of things, but that's how things look in that stage, its a concept more than anything else. All they are going to have in this kickstarter is concepts of things...which again, is why they are doing kickstarter in the first place. They need to funds to get a studio, hire a bigger team, and possibly get the backing of a big publisher.
The reason for the Kickstarter is to get money.

You don't get much money by making a shitty Kickstarter. They tapped out 50% (guess) of the true believers already. Maybe they approach 500k or so with the rest who haven't heard of it yet or are sitting on the fence. The rest is going to come from folks who are interested in this type of game.
In it's current form , that type of person is more likely to move on and not give a dime to the KS.

My point is the terrible handling of the KS is going to run the risk of it not happening, or just barely getting the 800k instead of more like it could.

I am being realistic, realistic about others have handled kickstarters much better than they have so far.

Cheerleading terrible Kickstarter decisions is not really a helpful thing either.

Vandyn drills it home about if they have worked on this KS site since Sept, it's even more laughable.

Trathos_sl

shitlord
Yeah, this doesn't look like 5 months of work for what they've shown(ie they might have something not shown, like the actual world, but who knows).

Lol@ Trathos, Joined Yesterday and post history in this thread only. Where's all the usual conspiracy theorist.
?? I joined this forum to talk about the game like I have in other forums because I want to help promote the game...how does that not make sense? lol

Gecko_sl

shitlord
But that's not what 38 Studios did at all... I don't get it.
The 38S philosophy, as in 38S kept pushing on the premise they could get more venture capital and keep rolling.

This KS is being used to leverage future VC to fund the entirety of the 8M+ needed to build this game. The main difference here is Curt wrote the initial check before the game cratered, vs we,the rerolled people writing one.

In other words I think it ain't going to happen. Either Brad wows people and gets the funding through KS or the game craters.

Supposedly there's a decent reveal tomorrow. It's a shame he didn't wait until then to start his KS campaign. If he rolled out a better funding page with well thought out tiers and some semblance of a design plan, many old timers who are on the fence would probably consider donating.

DarkMatter

Trakanon Raider
Speaking from one person's point of view. The red light flashing is how amazingly poor the Unity demo/screens are after months. Our company uses Unity regularly and whips up pitches/demos which look better in days/2 weeks than this does with 2-3 people. I would've thought that would be an important aspect of "selling" the vision. It's one thing to use temp art and another to have something look this poor. Paired with the overall dryness of the lore/classes, the clunkiness of the Kickstarter and the rest of it, it just seems uninspiring. I don't post often, but I was horribly disappointed to see this be the big reveal. I really wanted to be excited.

Trathos_sl

shitlord

You don't get much money by making a shitty Kickstarter. They tapped out 50% (guess) of the true believers already. Maybe they approach 500k or so with the rest who haven't heard of it yet or are sitting on the fence. The rest is going to come from folks who are interested in this type of game.
In it's current form , that type of person is more likely to move on and not give a dime to the KS.

My point is the terrible handling of the KS is going to run the risk of it not happening, or just barely getting the 800k instead of more like it could.

I am being realistic, realistic about others have handled kickstarters much better than they have so far.

Cheerleading terrible Kickstarter decisions is not really a helpful thing either.

Vandyn drills it home about if they have worked on this KS site since Sept, it's even more laughable.
It's not cheerleading when you can admit to the flaws of the page, hell even the devs admitted to the flaws in the page. I agree it could have been done a lot better, and it probably will deter some people away, but theres not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it now, as I've said in the past, kickstarter doesnt allow you to edit, and when you have the funds they do atm, theres no point in shutting it down, you might as well ride it out and see if you can meet your goals. I doubt they've worked on the kickstarter since Sept. The game is what I'm sure they've been working on. If it doesnt meet its goal, they can always regroup and try at it again. If they do meet the goals, then they can still make an even better kickstarter the second time around to get further funding for the game.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not cheerleading when you can admit to the flaws of the page, hell even the devs admitted to the flaws in the page. I agree it could have been done a lot better, and it probably will deter some people away, but theres not a whole hell of a lot you can do about it now, as I've said in the past, kickstarter doesnt allow you to edit, and when you have the funds they do atm, theres no point in shutting it down, you might as well ride it out and see if you can meet your goals. I doubt they've worked on the kickstarter since Sept.The game is what I'm sure they've been working on. If it doesnt meet its goal, they can always regroup and try at it again. If they do meet the goals, then they can still make an even better kickstarter the second time around to get further funding for the game.
Really, because it sure as hell doesn't look like it. You're telling me that sample dungeon layout is the best they came up with in 5 months? I can create a better one in Legend of Grimrock.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

There has to be objective criticism throughout the process.. I think the team agrees. I support this team fully but when they mess up and they will, they need to know about it. This is a long process and our best chance at this is being supportive but brutally honest when it's needed.

Btw.. Pretty sure Brad said the dungeon was started the other day. Not 5 months ago.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
They need to learn their lesson immediately Trathos. They launched a fucked up KS , went into a 24 hour head in the sand silence , and have had to be told how to do the KS after the fact by folks at boards like these. They should have learned their lesson by that and the screwed up tiers. No more screw ups that can't be edited. The Kickstarter is the face of the company they want to be eventually, right now.

Bluntly , if I hadn't played EQ for the years I did and even enjoyed VG a short time , there's no fucking way I would give one penny to the KS looking like it does right now.

I doubt I'm alone in that.

I'm giving money despite it, for the past purely.

That's not the way a Kickstarter makes it short of a millionaire EQ player suddenly chipping in.

Maybe someone should see if IGE wants to help fund ? They became mega-millionaires off what EQ helped do, they owe it.

Trathos_sl

shitlord
Really, because it sure as hell doesn't look like it. You're telling me that sample dungeon layout is the best they came up with in 5 months? I can create a better one in Legend of Grimrock.
I seriously doubt they've been working on the dungeon for 5 months, let's be real here. These guys have worked on some AAA title games, do you really think thats the best they'd have in 5 months? No, In reality, you have no idea when they started working on the dungeon, they could have just started that particular one for all we know. They were probably working on the core game itself like the main ui, combat, game bible, etc over the 5 months. Here's a quote:

Creator Visionary Realms, Inc. 33 minutes ago

@Steven - it's only a section of the dungeon; certainly not the entire Sunken Sanctum dungeon. Oops...

Again, it all goes back to the same thing, if your not interested, and/or you think the project sucks and you don't want to contribute, thats your right.

Lysis

N00b
This is what I don't get, they say they've been working on this since September, but everything we've seen looks like it's what they came up with 2 weeks ago. Doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence, especially when your asking money from people.
I agree. Unity is exceptionally easy to work with. If anyone is unaware of how easy, google Unity3D tutorials. You'll probably think to yourself, "holy shit, I can make an mmo."

What we've seen of the prototype could have been developed in a night. VR is starting with a platform more robust than what Vanguard shipped with. They should have been able to do something cool with that.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
someone wake me if they mention PvP or trolls.
If this game happens, PVP happens. Pantheon isn't getting made without 90 percent of the stretch goal built in, or that's my prediction anyways. It's all going to come from additional funding, but the $800,000 basically lets this project live on while they create and try to impress.

jilena_sl

shitlord
Do you think any of those people throwing money at it will accept being on the losing side of such a race? Because the majority of them will be.

At least we'll all get a good laugh out of it.
I always found this phenomenon hilarious to watch with every new EQ server and later progression servers. The first few weeks is like 9812739812793872198371 people logged on all with dreams that THIS TIME they are going to be at the head of the pack and claim GLORY. Then 2-3 weeks in they start to realize the same uberguild fags from the server they just fled were also bored, also moved to the new server, and are already twice their level, have half the content they had been touching themselves over on farm, and are just going to kick their asses on this new server as well. Then the population starts dropping in droves.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Genuine question , not trying to just continue on the Negative Nancy trend (no I'm not a tranny , just occasionally borrow the wife's pumps though), but how popular is the PC Gamer website?

Does it get tons of traffic ?

Or it's going to be relied on to then be reported on the other gaming sites and linked and so on. Just seems like a live chat/Reddit AMA advertised a few days ahead of time thing might actually drum up more actual traffic. Maybe they cut a deal with PC Gamer for info first and they have an in print article in return coming out soon or something ?

Trathos_sl

shitlord
They need to learn their lesson immediately Trathos. They launched a fucked up KS , went into a 24 hour head in the sand silence , and have had to be told how to do the KS after the fact by folks at boards like these. They should have learned their lesson by that and the screwed up tiers. No more screw ups that can't be edited. The Kickstarter is the face of the company they want to be eventually, right now.

Bluntly , if I hadn't played EQ for the years I did and even enjoyed VG a short time , there's no fucking way I would give one penny to the KS looking like it does right now.

I doubt I'm alone in that.

I'm giving money despite it, for the past purely.

That's not the way a Kickstarter makes it short of a millionaire EQ player suddenly chipping in.

Maybe someone should see if IGE wants to help fund ? They became mega-millionaires off what EQ helped do, they owe it.
O, don't get me wrong man. I completely understand your reasoning, and it makes sense. I think part of it is they are focusing not just on the kickstarter page, but obviously spending time on the game itself, working with the media, etc.

Trathos_sl

shitlord
Genuine question , not trying to just continue on the Negative Nancy trend (no I'm not a tranny , just occasionally borrow the wife's pumps though), but how popular is the PC Gamer website?

Does it get tons of traffic ?

Or it's going to be relied on to then be reported on the other gaming sites and linked and so on. Just seems like a live chat/Reddit AMA advertised a few days ahead of time thing might actually drum up more actual traffic. Maybe they cut a deal with PC Gamer for info first and they have an in print article in return coming out soon or something ?
It's posstible they cut a deal with them. Either way though, PC Gamer is pretty huge. A lot of people I know who I played with for years visit that site all the time.