Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Start looking for MMO code/support/backend and suddenly that statement is no longer true. I mean you can still do it but you need a lot of custom code. Not sure how many programmers $800k buy you.
Brad should combine with Project Gorgon. They're using unity and have server code and Sandra Powers is a serious Producer.

Lysis

N00b
I wonder how on-board the rest of the team actually it is. It's clear there's not four months worth of work here. Four months is about 10% of the total planned development period going back to Sept. I sort of get the feeling that some or all are on board when Brad can pay them to be.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
It definitely adds depth but it remains to be seen if it just another cumbersome thing you have to deal with.
That is my problem with features like that. It is also an area that I think causes the most drama when discussing game design. The people looking at realism/immersion seem to forget that at its core this is still suppose to be a video game.

They see their character trying to survive in a hostile world or whatever nerdy shit they RP. I see "Hey Ranger, come join our group in Frozen Hell!", followed by me going "Ugh, I don't have my frost shit on me. I have to run to town first". When I finally get there I find that another group or two has killed exp gain. So the group says. "Hey! Let's head to the Swamp of Bullshit and try camping there!, and I am thinking "Motherfuckers I don't have my poison gear on me.... I fucking hate you pack rat bastards!".

The same people who want immersion also want limited bag space, and long travel times. Put that all together and it becomes a pain in the ass and "fun" goes out the window. Pass.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Yes, resistance/climate clothing could be cool, more loot to gather, more inventory-handling, more gameplay at least for the likes of me w love that stuff. Others may find it a nuisance though. However waiting for some buff to come to full stats ("acclimatization") sounds bad.

I also like Bane weapons: had a lot of fun gathering all the ingredients and crafting the Seru Baneweapons for my Beastord. Fun times getting those Fungoid Saps in the Deep.
Good summary and I'll be talking a lot more about situational gear and climate now that the article is up.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sounds like old pnp D&D Planescape, where if you stayed too long in a particular plane, you would start to take on aspects of that plane.
If the setting/lore is trending that way, I want my 9 Hells of Baator and infinite levels in the Abyss.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
That is my problem with features like that. It is also an area that I think causes the most drama when discussing game design. The people looking at realism/immersion seem to forget that at its core this is still suppose to be a video game.

They see their character trying to survive in a hostile world or whatever nerdy shit they RP. I see "Hey Ranger, come join our group in Frozen Hell!", followed by me going "Ugh, I don't have my frost shit on me. I have to run to town first". When I finally get there I find that another group or two has killed exp gain. So the group says. "Hey! Let's head to the Swamp of Bullshit and try camping there!, and I am thinking "Motherfuckers I don't have my poison gear on me.... I fucking hate you pack rat bastards!".

The same people who want immersion also want limited bag space, and long travel times. Put that all together and it becomes a pain in the ass and "fun" goes out the window. Pass.
You'll keep your situational gear on you and you can definite Outfits, so you can quickly change from one to another. The ranger in your post would only be at a disadvantage if he didn't own any frost gear at all. If he has it, he just switches to the Outfit. This is NOT about running back to town to the bank.

Aradune_sl

shitlord
Sounds like old pnp D&D Planescape, where if you stayed too long in a particular plane, you would start to take on aspects of that plane.
If the setting/lore is trending that way, I want my 9 Hells of Baator and infinite levels in the Abyss.
Something like that, yes. We're using Climate in a very broad way. It's not just hot and cold. Poison, confusion, different physics, water, silence,.. etc. Also how big the Climate region is can vary. The lava shard in the concept art in the article may be a large region, but then in the depths of a dungeon there could be sections with poison, or confusion, etc.

Falwell

Who loves ya baby?
When you're talking about this climate acclimation being time based, are you thinking minutes / hours or days / weeks?

Something like that, yes. We're using Climate in a very broad way. It's not just hot and cold. Poison, confusion, different physics, water, silence,.. etc. Also how big the Climate region is can vary. The lava shard in the concept art in the article may be a large region, but then in the depths of a dungeon there could be sections with poison, or confusion, etc.
Is it possible to have a zone that exists in a vacuum like The Grey from Luclin (the only zone I actually liked from that expansion)?

Dumar_sl

shitlord
You'll keep your situational gear on you and you can definite Outfits, so you can quickly change from one to another. The ranger in your post would only be at a disadvantage if he didn't own any frost gear at all. If he has it, he just switches to the Outfit. This is NOT about running back to town to the bank.
Don't make it every slot. Make it one, like a cloak or magical earring. Not swapping out your entire gear. That's WoWism.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brad- Appreciate you stopping by to elaborate on the PC Gamer article, but I'd really love to hear about the class system, more on combat, etc... I don't think I'm the only one.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
OK, so this suggests it is more of a permanent character solution. That I don't mind. However, in your interview you made it seem like a "buff" that requires ramp up time or "acclimation" and would then degrade over time upon leaving that environment. Which is it? or is it both?

Also, is this an idea you plan on implementing as a core part of game world, or is it a stretch goal?

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
I wonder how on-board the rest of the team actually it is. It's clear there's not four months worth of work here. Four months is about 10% of the total planned development period going back to Sept. I sort of get the feeling that some or all are on board when Brad can pay them to be.
Actually the 3 year schedule does not seem to include the time from September to January. The ks tiers all list an estimated date of January 2017.

Bertox_sl

shitlord
There is only one person on the VR team who writes actual code. Ask ANYone who's ever worked on a small team project or a startup whether your first 11 people should look like this:

Vision guy - B. Mcquaid
Engineer - J. Weimann
Artist (concept) - J. Rochelle
Artist (props) - F. Beleno
Artist (environment) - V. Nguyen
PR guy - B. de la Durantaye
Designer - S. Grant
Designer - T. Garcia
Designer - N. Walling
Designer - C. Lefever
Designer - L. Gullo

Personality defects aside, none of these designers can write useable code for an MMO. I know this because I've worked with most of them, some directly, some indirectly.

Fwiw, it should look more like:

Vision guy/CEO (gets dat money)
Engineer (server and backend)
Engineer (tools and pipeline)
Engineer (gameplay)
Engineer (gameplay/AI)
Artist (concept and props)
Artist (props)
Artist (environment)
Designer (systems and content, must have excellent excel/scripting/writing skills)
Designer (systems and content, must have excellent excel/scripting/writing skills)
PR guy

As for myself, I was one of those unfortunates fired in the parking lot (still employed in MMOs though!), so I have a certain negative reaction to seeing Brad's shenanigans once again in full swing. It looks like this ill-thought-out project probably won't make it, so at least he won't be rewarded again for deceiving folks, but even people who don't know much about game design or MMO production should be able to understand production bottlenecks. With their current team of SOE/Trion castoffs and their egregious lack of technical skills (not a personal attack per se - this is a problem endemic to MMO designers), they would have no chance of producing a playable anything even WITH plenty of funding and a real game design document, which I do not believe they even have.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Very serious question.. Is there anything this team can do for you personally at this stage of the KS, to convince you to donate(assuming you haven't) and also instill enough confidence that we will get a stable, playable MMO from all this?
I know you directed that at Van , but just from my point of view I've been horribly disappointed with the overall judgement used in running the kickstarter. From day one using the "SLASH" picture as your first visual representation to being having to be be told get out there and post to finally holding off on info for a delayed PC Gamer article that was "ok" at best.

Show me some common sense in the next 4 weeks at running the Kickstarter. That's all I ask, not for award winning web design nor Blizzard level polish on the PR campaign , but some fucking common sense on basic decisions.

That would make me pledge back in at the 250 or 375 or possibly more range , as while I'm not 100% Dumar "this is our only shot ever" , I lean the way of it may be a long time before anyone else makes my sort of game.

So just some common sense that turns around the Kickstarter from being something that bored housewives at home seem to be able to have better ones of their own.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is only one person on the VR team who writes actual code. Ask ANYone who's ever worked on a small team project or a startup whether your first 11 people should look like this:

Vision guy - B. Mcquaid
Engineer - J. Weimann
Artist (concept) - J. Rochelle
Artist (props) - F. Beleno
Artist (environment) - V. Nguyen
PR guy - B. de la Durantaye
Designer - S. Grant
Designer - T. Garcia
Designer - N. Walling
Designer - C. Lefever
Designer - L. Gullo

Personality defects aside, none of these designers can write useable code for an MMO. I know this because I've worked with most of them, some directly, some indirectly.

Fwiw, it should look more like:

Vision guy/CEO (gets dat money)
Engineer (server and backend)
Engineer (tools and pipeline)
Engineer (gameplay)
Engineer (gameplay/AI)
Artist (concept and props)
Artist (props)
Artist (environment)
PR guy

As for myself, I was one of those unfortunates fired in the parking lot (still employed in MMOs though!), so I have a certain negative reaction to seeing Brad's shenanigans once again in full swing. It looks like this ill-thought-out project probably won't make it, so at least he won't be rewarded again for deceiving folks, but even people who don't know much about game design or MMO production should be able to understand production bottlenecks. With their current team of SOE/Trion castoffs and their egregious lack of technical skills (not a personal attack per se - this is a problem endemic to MMO designers), they would have no chance of producing a playable anything even WITH plenty of funding and a real game design document, which I do not believe they even have.
the only other person who viewed your account is UT lol.. are you his source?

I imagine you're completely unbiased, Bertox?
wink.png

Spynx_sl

shitlord
Here is a better idea.......

Make it be required AA's for level of climate access. You need 250 cold resist at least to be able to kill the ice dragon on top of the mountain... The more AA you get in cold resist..the less gear you need for cold resist etc etc. You can use a mixture of time spent in a cold zone with actual AA spent to get a desired cold resist. I think this gives a purpose and desire for AA as well as a goal to reach the top of the mountain.