Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Even if Bertox was a complete troll fabrication, his statement is still very true (as far as needing more technical people).

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'm moderately biased, of course, it was a pretty negative experience but I made it through and have had success in the interim. I just want people to understand what they're looking at, in case they see a list of MMO designers and think they're going to be implementing core gameplay features instead of waiting around for the sole engineer to do that work.
From December 31st or so:

I don't see a serious coder in that group -_- I thought they had at least one.
It's almost like I know what I'm talking 'bout.

Why then did I up to my pledge since I've had doubts about Brad's management skills since day 1? As I keep repeating, there are broader concerns than just Pantheon. If Pantheon fails to launch, but gets over a certain amount (not sure what that amount is perhaps 500k? Perhaps higher: 600k?) that will establish to the Other Eyes that Are Watching that there is interest in a 'hardcore' kind of game. If Pantheon fails to launch but gets under that certain amount - then we're screwed for a 'hardcore' MMO for the foreseeable future.

Aeiouy_sl

shitlord
Please, for the love of Karana, put this on the Kickstarter page. People need to know you have actual code that does things.
First I was like "how is that interesting" however I think getting the engineer to give an overview on the technical side of things, as anticipated, would be a good idea and something a segment of the potential audience would be interested in.

Brad stated that more people would join the team when the Kickstarter funds. At this point in the project, they need the concept guys doing the work. Once they get the funding, then it makes sense for the coders to come in.

bayr_sl

shitlord
Brad stated that more people would join the team when the Kickstarter funds. At this point in the project, they need the concept guys doing the work. Once they get the funding, then it makes sense for the coders to come in.
Given what they have conceptualized thus far I think they should be the first called into the parking lot, or in this case Brad's driveway

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Maybe but I don't give a shit about a person's join date either. Some of these Jan 14 kids are making better post than the seasoned vets. I think it's retarded that anyone here is mocking newly joined members. Do we want the same sandy vaginas for the next 10 years? I'd like a few fresh vaginas thank you.
Yes, and not every Jan 14 kid is getting mocked. The ones getting shit on are the ones making ignorant comments about the community based on their couple weeks in this thread. Or the ones in full blown fanboy mode who can't stand seeing negativity. This place doesn't need a bunch of pussies who run away when they get insulted, and it damn sure doesn't need anymore blind faith fanboys white knighting whatever their favorite MMO of the week is.

We have some new members who seem great. I look forward to them sticking around even after this fails. The rest of them can go pout someplace else IMO.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
indeed.. he gave a number I believe as well. There are people looking to join, that haven't.. I don't want to speculate the amount.. Dicksmickle is internet stalking me, ready to pounce!

Caliane

There is only one person on the VR team who writes actual code. Ask ANYone who's ever worked on a small team project or a startup whether your first 11 people should look like this:

Vision guy - B. Mcquaid
Engineer - J. Weimann
Artist (concept) - J. Rochelle
Artist (props) - F. Beleno
Artist (environment) - V. Nguyen
PR guy - B. de la Durantaye
Designer - S. Grant
Designer - T. Garcia
Designer - N. Walling
Designer - C. Lefever
Designer - L. Gullo

Personality defects aside, none of these designers can write useable code for an MMO. I know this because I've worked with most of them, some directly, some indirectly.

Fwiw, it should look more like:

Vision guy/CEO (gets dat money)
Engineer (server and backend)
Engineer (tools and pipeline)
Engineer (gameplay)
Engineer (gameplay/AI)
Artist (concept and props)
Artist (props)
Artist (environment)
Designer (systems and content, must have excellent excel/scripting/writing skills)
Designer (systems and content, must have excellent excel/scripting/writing skills)
PR guy

As for myself, I was one of those unfortunates fired in the parking lot (still employed in MMOs though!), so I have a certain negative reaction to seeing Brad's shenanigans once again in full swing. It looks like this ill-thought-out project probably won't make it, so at least he won't be rewarded again for deceiving folks, but even people who don't know much about game design or MMO production should be able to understand production bottlenecks. With their current team of SOE/Trion castoffs and their egregious lack of technical skills (not a personal attack per se - this is a problem endemic to MMO designers), they would have no chance of producing a playable anything even WITH plenty of funding and a real game design document, which I do not believe they even have.
Can't argue with this at all. that is an awful lot of "designers".

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
indeed.. he gave a number I believe as well. There are people looking to join, that haven't.. I don't want to speculate the amount.. Dicksmickle is internet stalking me, ready to pounce!
Get over yourself. I'm actively following this thread, which you happen to be posting in. I have no idea what else you're posting if it's not in this thread.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't argue with this at all. that is an awful lot of "designers".
He's making an argument, that a lot of us just don't know anything about. I wont pretend to. There is certainly a level of blind faith to all this.. Which is why some people are not committed. I totally understand that point of view.. Personally speaking, all MMOs have a level of blind faith attached to them in the development process. It's just different now because we are the ones putting the money directly to that process. You have to decide..

I certainly feel for him with the firing.. That shit just isn't right no matter how you slice it.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Get over yourself. I'm actively following this thread, which you happen to be posting in. I have no idea what else you're posting if it's not in this thread.
You do the same, and we can both agree to stop shitting this thread up with this conversation. Agreed? Thank you, kind sir!

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Rerolled Kickstarter to buy Unity Engine ($1500) and some assets ($50,000) to make our own game. Anyone here a network and systems engineer? Anyone know how to code in some classes? I wonder if we can make an MMO that is based on max server population of 200.

I always wanted to get to the point where people can make their own MMOs from stock assets like old school MUDs. There's money in that I'm sure of it. I used to build MUDs back in the day. I even built a dragonlance MMO from scratch, I had done the whole world and plenty of zones. I think I build the Tower of Whatever (big paladin area? I can't remember DL very well) and had some cool scripted encounters. Ooooh memories. I think I was 17.

Pyros will design the classes, I will do project management, Lithose will be in charge of.. something. Tuco will bring the donuts and a_skeleton_03 will be in charge of trolling the kickstarter pleding $10,000 and taking it away once a day.
I was thinking this very same thing after looking over the engine. It's almost possible.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
perhaps the tech sharing with SOE is the net code?

Also, I'd love to know if that screenshot is representative of what is visible at 'full night'.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
I like the concept of acclimatization system. But I also like what Bertox have just said.

What should I do nao? Ride an unicorn?

Bertox_sl

shitlord
The real question you should be asking yourselves is (and some have mentioned it already):

If they have FIVE unemployed designers on staff, and their conversations have been ongoing since September, how do they have nothing specific to show (or even describe) in terms of definitive combat mechanics or class interdependencies? With their "wealth" of experience on staff, there's really no excuse not to have an absolutely spotless and polished game design document ready to go well before the KS launch. Unfortunately, this professional negligence is exactly what those of us "in the biz" expected from that particular group of bodies.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is it like a serious case of false consensus where it's literally just 2,000 people thinking everyone feels the same way?

Any thoughts?
Pretty much, yes. EQ is a relic, from an age where outdated and ridiculous game mechanics were accepted. Mostly because we didn't know any better, but also because we had little to compare it to. Now, with so many options available, most people have come to that realization.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The real question you should be asking yourselves is (and some have mentioned it already):

If they have FIVE unemployed designers on staff, and their conversations have been ongoing since September, how do they have nothing specific to show (or even describe) in terms of definitive combat mechanics or class interdependencies? With their "wealth" of experience on staff, there's really no excuse not to have an absolutely spotless and polished game design document ready to go well before the KS launch. Unfortunately, this professional negligence is exactly what those of us "in the biz" expected from that particular group of bodies.
Yup, weve been asking that for a while.

Maybe it will take another PC Gaming article for all that shit?