Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Column_sl

shitlord
Brad is completely incapable of delivering a good game, and unlikely to deliver one at all.
EQ was a fluke, came out at the right time with a bunch of Dikumud nerds that just wanted a 3D world for there mud games.

Blizzard proved they could do it better with a talented staff.

I loved EQ, and played it from the very first day it was launched on Sol Ro even tho it went down for a week afterwords.
I'll admit it was a great experience, but it wasn't because of Brad imho.

I have no faith he will ever make another good game.

They have certainly improved both their page and their PR strategy. They have already raised over $5k today and we're still in the early hours of the morning; if this trend continues we're probably looking at getting at least $15-20k today; maybe more if they can release some good updates or interviews today. Currently I'm very optimistic but we'll see how things for over the next 4 weeks.
They certainly have been improving things. The updates are better, the Q&A's are better, the interviews have been interesting, and they are even posting in the comments section now. I'm pleased to say the least.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
EQ was a fluke, came out at the right time with a bunch of Dikumud nerds that just wanted a 3D world for there mud games.

Blizzard proved they could do it better with a talented staff.

I loved EQ, and played it from the very first day it was launched on Sol Ro even tho it went down for a week afterwords.
I'll admit it was a great experience, but it wasn't because of Brad imho.

I have no faith he will ever make another good game.
I just think that there isn't any way to recreate that 'feel' that EQ had, even if you basically do a copy/paste of the same stuff. I can see people playing for a few months and then like everything else will move on to something else. At that point it becomes just another small MMO in a sea of them. It's impossible to really describe it, everyone has fond memories of EQ because of the combat or the gameplay or even the social interaction. The reason for all of those is because it was first. It was the first experience for all of us in that type of game. You can't recreate that, no matter how much you try. It wouldn't be any different than if someone did a direct copy of WoW, it's not the same (Rift tried).

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just think that there isn't any way to recreate that 'feel' that EQ had, even if you basically do a copy/paste of the same stuff. I can see people playing for a few months and then like everything else will move on to something else. At that point it becomes just another small MMO in a sea of them. It's impossible to really describe it, everyone has fond memories of EQ because of the combat or the gameplay or even the social interaction. The reason for all of those is because it was first. It was the first experience for all of us in that type of game. You can't recreate that, no matter how much you try. It wouldn't be any different than if someone did a direct copy of WoW, it's not the same (Rift tried).
Thats ok Vandyn, I would still rather see a harder mmo than whats being shoveled out there.That includes whats coming this year in Teso and Wildstar. So sick of the quest hub mmo, glad to see a couple games that are based on a sandbox more than a ?! system.

not sure if this was posted but Brad tweeted:

Brad McQuaid ?@Aradune 4h

Just finished registering Brad "Aradune" McQuaid on reddit. Guess what I'm planning!

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I know Brad is talking a lot about Eq1 in regards to this game, but I think it will be a mistake if people expect EQ1. I personally don't.. The world will obviously not be Everquest. I expect some familiar things from EQ but all games have that..?If they hit on a fun class and combat system with an interesting world, it will go a long way for playability. Rift may of been a wow clone but the class system(although lacking) was still fun enough to keep people around to explore its trees..

I also think the carrot of spells and class gear dropping in the world will go a long way in regards to keeping people. Again, that's assuming the class system is engaging.

@Denault-really appreciate the honestly.. Unlike some of the anonymous Devs posting, we can actually attach a name to you. Obviously I hope you're wrong but you said how you felt.. Brad did say there are more Devs ready to jump on this. No idea what they will do tho.. I've said from the very beginning there is some blind faith associated with this.. There is with any game really.. I also agree that some young Devs should get a shot, but ask those young Devs to start building a game like pantheon so I have a reason to give them my money..

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
There really isnt a fantasy MMO where you are just a scrub making his way in the world any more, where a huge obstacle is an ogre warlord or evil wizard threatening one village. Current EQ1/2 are all about epic dragon time travel alternate universes, WoW is about averting the end of the world every patch, same with GW2. Rift has the same "you are an hero" background we have in TESO or apparently here.

I liked that less overpowered setting, i.e. classic EQ/Kunark. Even Velious didnt feature any world-ending lore except the one that was under control and caused by the players, the Sleeper. PoP and beyond on the other hand, same deal as WoW.
UO really set you loose as a random person in the world and not the chosen basdass, which i liked.

Oh UO, where you came into the world wearing a burlap sack, spent four hours gathering wool and mining, then died as a dickless peasent to one of those reaper trees that cast e-bolt. went back to town, accidently wandered through a gate to ice island, and were completely fucked.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
so do you guys think a reddit ama and a exposure via a boogie interview would push this over 500k?

i agree with the sentiment expressed here and elsewhere that drumming up additional visibility is putting the cart before the horse if they dont finish unfucking the kickstarter page and add alot, alot more "info" to it first.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
between potentially knowing something about the announcement of Vanguard closing down and some of the cajoling handjobbery that went on in this thread, they very well might have thought that the extremely lackluster effort they had at the outset would have been enough to carry them through.

Even though you won't find me pining for forced grouping, corpse runs, or death penalties, I really want to see Brad get another chance to make his game.
I agree with your opinion, I want this game made. I also want it to be great and last for years. I said it earlier but if they get funded hopefully this turns into something like EVE where the company sticks to their guns enough to have the game grow for years.

However, your first sentence quoted above is exactly what the fuck is wrong with them. "VG is closing so we have those, and the Rerolled nerds will throw in 100k+ too. I figure we got this so lets go to disneyland instead of working on our pitch." That is how they approached their kickstarter. That is how it appears they will approach their game development. They need to change that perception before the bottom falls out under them, and those 4 months at disneyland are a hell to catch up with now.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
He needs to target current MMO players.

The interview or whatever with Boogie should focus on one theme - 'this is what you missed if you never got to play early EQ, and now is your chance to experience it'.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
i have no doubt they thought that.

''Hey guys! GUYS! I just found out about this webpage, its called kickstarter, apparently you post there and people just GIVE you money! I bet we go there, tell some of the die hard nerds im back and well be fucking set. lets set the bar low at ehhh 800k, just to not look obnoxious. UO was chump change compared to MY game, so if that creepy fuck Garriot can pull in 1.9 million, lets set some stretch goals for double that.''

they got reality checked pretty quick and hard though. im glad this happened. so if this pig gets funded, they got humbled a bit beforehand.

i have no doubt they thought that.

''Hey guys! GUYS! I just found out about this webpage, its called kickstarter, apparently you post there and people just GIVE you money! I bet we go there, tell some of the die hard nerds im back and well be fucking set. lets set the bar low at ehhh 800k, just to not look obnoxious.''

they got reality checked pretty quick and hard though. im glad this happened. so if this pig gets funded, they got humbled a bit beforehand.
Right on. When this thing started I highlighted the fact that Brad hadn't supported any other Kickstarters. That was the biggest thing hurting them, IMO. If Brad had been active on Kickstarter supporting other projects since last September, his Kickstarter would have been miles better.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
''Hey guys! GUYS! I just found out about this webpage, its called kickstarter, apparently you post there and people just GIVE you money! I bet we go there, tell some of the die hard nerds im back and well be fucking set. lets set the bar low at ehhh 800k, just to not look obnoxious. UO was chump change compared to MY game, so if that creepy fuck Garriot can pull in 1.9 million, lets set some stretch goals for double that.''
"How dumb do I think the Americans are? I bet you we could sell those idiots water."
"Look, Pierre, the Americans are pretty dumb, but they're not going to buy water."
"Oh yes they are! Let's just tell the Americans the water's from France."

K13R

Bronze Knight of the Realm
So were back in the HOPE cycle....

@Denaut Good post man basically how I feel but I'm still rooting for full funding for my own selfish reasons

@Secrets good sidebusting care to put your name on something for reference?