Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Merlin_sl

shitlord
I think if they get funded they will eventually have a game out there. They are using the Unity engine which seems to be very budget friendly from everything I've read about it and could very well allow them to eventually deliver a small MMO for around a $1m or so.
I would like to see how they intend to fund the game. Brad was honest about needing atleast$8 mil, so ok, I like that honesty. But if we have 10 devs, lets just call them professionals, divided by roughly $700,000, minus the cost of setting up a studio, purchasing computers, renting an office etc...What does that leave for salary's? So even assuming this gets funded, which is a ridiculous longshot at this point, what happens in 6 months when they run out of the kickstarter money? Is that it? They move out of the offices and everyone goes their separate ways? Game over? I need some kind of reassurance that things don't go tits up in 6 months and my pledge is just vaporfunding.

Lysis

N00b
It's way too early to call this KS dead. I can see it having a strong finish from other idiots like me remaining on the fence despite a near total disbelief these guys can make a decent game on a low budget, funded KS or not.

But if it does fail, it should not be considered reflective of the interest in a game like this. Brad is a very polarizing character. That's the difference between Pantheon and other Kickstarters with little substance: relevant baggage.

IMO, early sales of VG best demonstrate interest. Those were all vision 2.0 word of mouth sales.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah and he claimed VG sold 250,000 boxes. Which is not bad, but how many of those people did he piss off with a shitty game they laughed at?

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
That twitch stream last night seemed like a decent idea. Until you saw the screen constantly hitching. And the dev team didn't seem to know much about their races and lore. Especially when they faltered on class restrictions for races.

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
$25 tier totally screws the $35, lol.
Yeah I actually think it was a mistake to include it; but lots of idiots over there always talking about these hoards of people just waiting to get in on this project if only there was an attractive tier at $25. $45 was an attractive option and it took them 2 weeks to sell it out; adding a $25 tier now isn't going to change the number of backers coming in and could actually hurt the campaign by causing people that would have pledge $35 to now only do $25. For this to fund they need to the word out to more people(they actually been doing pretty good this week) and try and get the current backers to increase their pledges by offering something even meatier higher up.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I would like to see how they intend to fund the game. Brad was honest about needing atleast$8 mil, so ok, I like that honesty. But if we have 10 devs, lets just call them professionals, divided by roughly $700,000, minus the cost of setting up a studio, purchasing computers, renting an office etc...What does that leave for salary's? So even assuming this gets funded, which is a ridiculous longshot at this point, what happens in 6 months when they run out of the kickstarter money? Is that it? They move out of the offices and everyone goes their separate ways? Game over? I need some kind of reassurance that things don't go tits up in 6 months and my pledge is just vaporfunding.
YOure just speculating here with fictitious numbers you made up in your head. Im sure they have a business plan of some kind and Im sure they are not stupid enough to make 800k worth of promises without thinking it through first.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I think if your Brad McQuaid you needed to have more than ideas. Thats peoples main concern with him. I think people know hes a great idea man.

The kickstarter seems doomed from lack of planning more than anything. They played the reacting game and its been up hill from there. they had soo long to plan this and talk here about their plans and ideas for the KS.
That's my main issue. I've put $45 back into this just because of EQ but I'm just not buying the talk. He can say anything and talk about the game all he wants but honestly the market is so saturated, I need to see something more concrete. There's too many options, not to mention it is years and years away. We have no idea where the MMO market will be and if it will even be something worth discussing. Heck, we don't even know what's up Blizzard's sleeve yet or what EQNext will do. How am I supposed to have the faith and/or confidence to drop any major cash into this project with all the unknowns out there in addition to how little we know about Pantheon and their company?

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The comments on every bit of news about Pantheon at sites like massively or mmorpg.com are really telling:
+Brad did EQ1 (oldschool concepts are interesting/good)
- Brad did Vanguard (and no playable prototype to show off is making this point really important for a lot of people)
- really bad KS site (confusing, not enough info, no screenshots, no good ingame footage, etc...)
- 2017 release = too long a wait

People who are interested but are not "hardcore oldschool EQ1 lovers" simply dont pledge atm. At best they wait and see where the KS is going, at worst they are not interested enough and are waiting for the game to actually release.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For one anything up blizzards sleeve wont ship before 2020. EQ next could be a game changer or it could be the next GW2.

Arctic_Slicer_sl

shitlord
But if it does fail, it should not be considered reflective of the interest in a game like this. Brad is a very polarizing character. That's the difference between Pantheon and other Kickstarters with little substance: relevant baggage.
Richard Garriot was able to get Shroud of the Avatar funded despite the baggage from the Tabula Rasa fiasco, his termination from NCSoft and him suing them to eventually win $28m a mere 2 years before asking for money on kickstarer. If a shady guy like Garriot(seriously $28 million look it up) can get his game funded on Kickstarter then McQuaid can to.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Brad is also making a mistake by going around and saying that this will be funded somehow no matter what even if the kickstarter fails. Then wahts the point of the kickstarter? why should I contribute to this if it will get funded anyway?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's way too early to call this KS dead. I can see it having a strong finish from other idiots like me remaining on the fence despite a near total disbelief these guys can make a decent game on a low budget, funded KS or not.

IMO, early sales of VG best demonstrate interest. Those were all vision 2.0 word of mouth sales.
That was still seven year ago though. Although there more choices in what to play, it wasn't how it is now. Plus what about the fact that a lot of players have simply moved on. You can't use stuff like characters created on a progression server on live to gauge interest. It's one thing to have interest, it's a whole other thing to invest in something that you might have interest in playing, assuming what comes out meets all of your expectations.

Go to other sites, old guild and server sites and see how much interest Pantheon is drawing. Most of these guys just don't care anymore. Maybe they'll play the game or at least check it out if it was out today, but not for some phantom game that comes out at least 3 years from now.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
YOure just speculating here with fictitious numbers you made up in your head. Im sure they have a business plan of some kind and Im sure they are not stupid enough to make 800k worth of promises without thinking it through first.
Fictitious numbers? What's fictitious about them? Regardless, I am one of the biggest McQuaid supporters out there, but when it comes to money from my wallet, lets not pretend Vanguard and the vanishing $30 million never happened. If he has a business plan or some sort of funding after the kickstarter money runs out, at least confirm it. But if its run like this kickstarter, this "fly by the seat of my pants" deal, then the project is dead in less than a year. Lets not fool ourselves, if there was an investor out there who would fund this game, Brad wouldn't be here in the first place.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That was still seven year ago though. Although there more choices in what to play, it wasn't how it is now. Plus what about the fact that a lot of players have simply moved on. You can't use stuff like characters created on a progression server on live to gauge interest. It's one thing to have interest, it's a whole other thing to invest in something that you might have interest in playing, assuming what comes out meets all of your expectations.

Go to other sites, old guild and server sites and see how much interest Pantheon is drawing. Most of these guys just don't care anymore. Maybe they'll play the game or at least check it out if it was out today, but not for some phantom game that comes out at least 3 years from now.
Thats pretty much what im thinking at this point. There simply is not enough interest in a game like this.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Brad is also making a mistake by going around and saying that this will be funded somehow no matter what even if the kickstarter fails. Then wahts the point of the kickstarter? why should I contribute to this if it will get funded anyway?
That's a tough situation for him. He wants people to know he's committed and believes in the game..

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Richard Garriot was able to get Shroud of the Avatar funded despite the baggage from the Tabula Rasa fiasco, his termination from NCSoft and him suing them to eventually win $28m a mere 2 years before asking for money on kickstarer. If a shady guy like Garriot(seriously $28 million look it up) can get his game funded on Kickstarter then McQuaid can to.
Yea but there is actually a game there. He's got in-game screenshots, concept art of characters, etc. Plus he's got enough money to put into it to startup, he didn't have to go this route that Brad and co. are taking.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
The standard ballpark for how much a game should cost (assuming a professional full-time staff) is ~10k per month per person.

Lysis

N00b
Don't let EQN fool you. It's the same shit from SOE: abandon everything they did previously for today's buzz. SOE was out of ideas before it started.

The next big thing, from a big publisher or not, will probably be from some dudes we don't know yet. The guys SOE will be copying next. Like they did the community that invented Dikus.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
Thats pretty much what im thinking at this point. There simply is not enough interest in a game like this.
That, or interest in funding it. I have mentioned it to a few of my friends and they were like "eh, I'll try it if it comes out".