Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No doubt the kickstarter was lacking. THey could of waited a bit more and had more to offer. Like sketches of the races, more art, more fleshed out lore and ideas...etc. And they could of made a better video with some humor injected into it. Like the dude from Planescape did for Planescape and Wasteland 2.

Picture this....I could see brad with a robe on, kicking out hookers from his house, going upstairs and cleaning out his medicine cabinet, then going to the basement, like to a bat cave, turning on the lights, and there is the studio. Going to a locker and puting on a lab coat and calling in the troops. Next scene the troops arrive and get to work... Time to get serious and make a game again.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
lysis_sl said:
I have no faith in SOE at all. If you do happen to enjoy a game from them, you can expect it to probably change to suit a larger audience they're chasing. Just like the poor RPGer early adopters of EQ before it went viral in the Quake community. I say that as one of those hyper-competitive Quake guys who fucked up their role playing experience. But later, SOE did the same to me and chased an even larger group.

I think EQN will probably be different than previous SOE titles because it's a strategic title for the PS4. It should be very sound technically and feature SCE production quality. But that also means it's going to have to be accessible to a large, general audience. And like before, SOE will cater to them.
This is absolutely spot on. EQN if successful on ps4 will turn SOE into just another in house ps4 dev studio.
This is absolutely spot on. EQN if successful on ps4 will turn SOE into just another in house ps4 dev studio.
/agree

Anyone who expects eqNext to be anything other than what big publishers are chasing right now are fooling themselves... and go ahead and add Trion to that mix. Although Smed is talking about something SWG-like, likely another game that will morph into whatever the investors are wanting to invest in... you know mainstream garbage.

I have a hard time believing they are going to put in pay-to-win stuff (like stat items) at higher tiers. At least that's how I would think of some of the things listed above.
They lack the courage, desperation, and planning to make the KS work. So no, they'll never do something like that.

Lysis

N00b
As for VG loot, I remember not only the shadow hound quest, but the quest to get my necro form which was later removed (stupid SOE) and the Swamp Armor quests to get my Fireweve armor which was pre-raid armor. Then the APW armor sets which for necros was Nosaj's etc. Oh and VG had Jboots which mirrored EQ's Jboots quest and all.
I enjoyed a lot of quests in 2007. I say 2007, because later they all became stupidly easy; not that they were ever hard. Off the top of my head, I remember:

- the arena
- xennu shard quests
- panther clicky
- skeleton clicky
- swamp armor
- hegnerian's cloak
- rhaz/zull weapon/crown quests

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
So what do you all think of this Undead race? Too much WOW? Does this mean theres a really good chance for a necro class?
I think it's stupid as hell and makes absolutely no sense within the lore they've laid out thus far.

All player characters are resurrected heroes. The Revenant are a bunch of atheists who had nowhere to go when they died... so some god decided to resurrect them and make them serve in his "army of the damned" (cheese alert). Then... since they are player characters, they somehow died (despite being undead) and have now been resurrected again or something? It makes no damned sense, and that's ignoring the fact that having an undead race at all completely cheapens the idea of death in the world.

Oh well.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Ohh yea, I never did get one of those things. Actually I never ever, in 5 years of playing saw Hadden either. Couldn't even have told ya what he looked like until I started my own emulator and finally saw him. I bought my fishbone earring in the EC tunnel.
Pyzjin is the only mob in any MMO to ever defeat me. I camped her for about a solid week, saw half a dozen spawns, and never got the stone. I later went on to camp several Jboots, a couple epics, and countless other rare spawns, but thinking of pyzjin still makes me feel like the game won. Interestingly, I got a shitload of hadden spawns and fishbone earrings while doing so. I talked to some guy who apparently went like a dozen kills with no earring, so I suspect the game just knows what you want and refuses to drop it.

vazdeline_sl

shitlord
Funny.. Come back to this thread, and it's the same people that constantly repeat themselves of the doom and gloom of this KS, how it's not going to succeed, etc. Extremely negative people. Instead of bitching and wining, get out there and fucking promote it.

Mur_sl

shitlord
So what do you all think of this Undead race? Too much WOW? Does this mean theres a really good chance for a necro class?
Never played WoW, so it's actually something fresh for me. The thought of playing a Revenant DK sounds kinda cool...reminds me of the old AD&D Death Knight. Really comes down to how they flesh out the skeleton of the idea...heh. I would also think that they would be natural necromancers; Revenant Lich anyone?

delirium_sl

shitlord
I think it's stupid as hell and makes absolutely no sense within the lore they've laid out thus far.

All player characters are resurrected heroes. The Revenant are a bunch of atheists who had nowhere to go when they died... so some god decided to resurrect them and make them serve in his "army of the damned" (cheese alert). Then... since they are player characters, they somehow died (despite being undead) and have now been resurrected again or something? It makes no damned sense, and that's ignoring the fact that having an undead race at all completely cheapens the idea of death in the world.

Oh well.
Aparently the Undead and the folks who lived on Terminus before the pantheon collisions and are thus reanimated. As far as the resurected Hero stuff, didnt EQ also have the same kind of story? Wasnt that the reason they gave for your character NOT being permanetly dead when you died? Not to mention ressurection is restoring life to someone who died where as I see undead as merely being reanimated through magic. Its a stretch I guess but still a difference nonetheless.

Grave_sl

shitlord
It's not that that flavor isn't cool, but I'd rather select one of the existing races and then have stuff like skeleton/lich form depending on class.

Zefah

<Gold Donor>
Aparently the Undead and the folks who lived on Terminus before the pantheon collisions and are thus reanimated. As far as the resurected Hero stuff, didnt EQ also have the same kind of story? Wasnt that the reason they gave for your character NOT being permanetly dead when you died? Not to mention ressurection is restoring life to someone who died where as I see undead as merely being reanimated through magic. Its a stretch I guess but still a difference nonetheless.
The Undead apparently originated from Terminus, but they didn't start existing until the first planar collisions.

I dunno man, the whole thing just feels poorly thought out. I defended these guys before, but I'm really starting to get the impression that they really are just making shit up as they go along and not even considering how the pieces fit in the overall picture.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not feeling the Undead. Just give me my vanilla EQ races pls.
I don't think you're going to get that. That's another thing that's ultimately going to be an issue, the lore. People identify with Everquest partly due to the lore/races/classes. The further you move away from that, the further the link. I had brought up that this game may be based on EQ mechanics, but it won't have the EQ feel due to a number of factors, lore being one of them.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
again its hard to compare a kickstarter like Kingdom Come to Pantheon. Because Kingdom Come is 3/4 done with the game. Pantheon did not even begin. Youre taking about a project which probably cost upwards of $1 million dollars to make so far VS 10 dudes in their basement and a dell working on something in their spare time.
This is why proposals and business plans and KS are so hard... people can only typically see the product unless you shape a contextual message.

If you look at all the Kingdom Come: Deliverance media and presentation, their message isn't: we have an awesome game, help fund it. Their message is: big publishers want to change us or ignore us, and the only hope our studio stays open, our game gets made, and our dreams are realized is if you show our private investor this type of project is worth pursuing.

They emphasized the story behind the game to make it personal. It's no great secret this is how you get shit done. It's just hard, because you have consumers who will just focus on a product and nothing more if you let them. And you have developers, engineers, scientists, etc. who will also just focus on the product, if you let them. Somewhere, somebody with a greater insight, strategy, whatever, has to build an image of the forest so people appreciate the trees they're looking at and understands what they all add up to.

Ironically, the Pantheon KS is just focusing on trees and trees and more trees and literally on a live stream showing the dev lay down trees. That should all just be the vehicle to deliver the contextual message that gets people motivated and invested. If you go around various forums you can see people trying to talk about the message and story behind this project, but it's just a bunch of lone voices because you go to the KS and hear from the actual sources of the product and nobody is doing anything but talking about their own little tree that they're responsible for, and how more trees are coming, instead of the overall forest and trying to connect potential backers to any level of greater story, motivation, reasoning, etc. Just, hey, if you like the trees we're clumsily presenting in a vacuum, and half-assed as we can make them up, then why not pledge?

Right now, the only people pledge are those creating their own greater story/context to this project. That's not going to be enough. And as we talked about, reaching wider audiences, or convincing those how have created their own negative story/context, isn't going to happen by showing people a bunch of little trees with 'SLASH!' on them and hoping they build their own forest.

Have they really identified a need for Pantheon? Have they created an understanding and support that that need exists, much less needs addressed? Have they created a reason they should fill that need themselves? Have they created a motivation for others to trust they'll fill the need? Have they created a coherent idea that will address the need, a plan on how to make that idea reality, and reasoning why their final product/solution will successfully fill that need?

They've basically just said 'we want to make something' and hoped everyone else will answer all the questions for them and by luck or divine providence let them make the thing they haven't even explained why they feel it's so important it gets made, much less why we should help them make it.