Pan'Theon: Rise' of th'e Fal'Len - #1 Thread in MMO

Beastro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I've gotten a few answers on Brad and EQ1. The most recent was basically "we did the opposite of what he told us to do." Prior to that, I had a a few more positive ones. One saying it was very much Brad's baby and he deserves the credit not Smed. so I don't know. I'm leaning to a mix of both with a lot of luck. Either way, he's lost any competence he ever had as a leader. It's also obvious he does so little that people have to step up to get things done because of his lack of direction.
"Lost his competence"???

Competence is not something someone usually loses, either you have it or you don't.

I don't buy that he had his shit together for EQ and then lost it and hasn't gotten it back since.

Now one can be promoted above ones competency and I think that's a more accurate explanation for Brad: His role in EQ was small, but thanks to its success and his name being spun to being key to that success he's been put into positions of control well above his competency and he keeps fucking up because it's over his head, but it keeps happening because his ego has a different interpretation of how competent he really his.

All I've read is that he had some neat ideas and basically pointed others who could do the real work in the right direction. Yeah he deserves credit, but as a minor figure amongst many behind EQ, not being labelled a gaming god.

If anybody deserves the credit Brad gets it's either Steve Clover or Bill Trost with myself leaning towards Trost for taking a bunch of fantasy cliches and building a world around them that was both familiar but still refreshing.

People didn't actually like Reading Rainbow and a modern day version of it would never get the support it needs. It's all nostalgia. Reading Rainbow was an accidental success.
Brent Spiner was really who made Reading Rainbow work, LeVarr just rode his coat tails.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
People didn't actually like Reading Rainbow and a modern day version of it would never get the support it needs. It's all nostalgia. Reading Rainbow was an accidental success.
A modern day version of Everquest would never get the support it needs. It's all nostalgia. Everquest was an accidental success.

iannis

Musty Nester
Three... Million... Dollars...
Hope they don't become victims of their own success. They could not have possibly expected the response that they got. They'll get 10 million dollars before the thing is all over (well, at least 5). You figure they thought to themselves, "absolute best case... we get two million. So lets ask for one. We can work with that."

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Hope they don't become victims of their own success. They could not have possibly expected the response that they got. They'll get 10 million dollars before the thing is all over (well, at least 5). You figure they thought to themselves, "absolute best case... we get two million. So lets ask for one. We can work with that."
Only thing that sucks about the Reading Rainbow thing is that the App won't be free. Don't get me wrong, given how rich they are planning to make the App in terms of content? I can understand why they can't make it free, even with this funding (If they actually do everything they say.)....But, it sucks that kid's who don't have parents that give a shit won't have access to this unless they are in one of the 10% of classrooms that will get it for free (7500 schools is only 10% of the schools nation wide). One of the best aspects of Reading Rainbow was that even the poorest people usually had TV's--so all that content was free; and that's fucking great. I'm afraid even 6$ a month will end up excluding a lot of kids simply because they don't have a credit card.

I really hope if this thing hits a historic high it becomes a free educational tool at least; that will be cool. All in all though, I have some serious nostalgia for this; I watched this show a ton, and it got me really wanting to get books at an early age. Plus it blew my mind when I saw the reading rainbow guy on Star Trek.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
A modern day version of Everquest would never get the support it needs. It's all nostalgia. Everquest was an accidental success.
Hrm, this is an interesting idea... anyone else have opinions on this subject... that we can discuss for thousands of pages over the course of a decade?

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The Reading Rainbow app isn't free? Fuck that, not donating. So, they're going to get millions in donations pimping a message about kids in need, and then raise the barrier of entry even higher for the kids who need the app the most, and who are the reason this project will be so successful in raising funds? Putting out a free version of some sort should be a stretch goal or they can piss off until the library starts also requiring a monthly fee.

Washington Post Article

And you can usually tell how scammy (whether intentionally or not) something is by the retard fanatics defending a project in the comments of an article. Article: educate yourself about the project first. Comments: WHY DO YOU HATE KIDS/READING/JESUS!?!?!?!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Obviously the author of that article didn't(couldn't?) read the Kickstarter. It's not like they're being deceitful. She sounds like she could use the app.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The Reading Rainbow app isn't free? Fuck that, not donating. So, they're going to get millions in donations pimping a message about kids in need, and then raise the barrier of entry even higher for the kids who need the app the most, and who are the reason this project will be so successful in raising funds? Putting out a free version of some sort should be a stretch goal or they can piss off until the library starts also requiring a monthly fee.

Washington Post Article

And you can usually tell how scammy (whether intentionally or not) something is by the retard fanatics defending a project in the comments of an article. Article: educate yourself about the project first. Comments: WHY DO YOU HATE KIDS/READING/JESUS!?!?!?!
A few of the comments at the base of that article have a lot more compelling arguments than the author of the article itself. You should read them.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Popsicle just hates literacy. And kids. And all that is good in the world.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I do hate kids, that's true.

Especially those damn kids who have computers and broadband and a credit card and just need a Reading Rainbow app they can pay for to finally motivate them to talk to their school boards about why they actual literacy programs are failing. Thanks, Reading Rainbow, you don't teach kids how to read, but maybe you'll motivate them to get off their lazy asses and learn how to read so they can make use of your services!

I like the people who are defending the project by saying the point of Reading Rainbow isn't to teach kids how to read, but to show them how great reading can be! Which doesn't help the 1 in 4 kids who are illiterate... you know, the ones Reading Rainbow is using as a platform and reason to raise millions! Thanks illiterate kids, the kids who have the resources and support to learn to read are really going to appreciate all the books your illiterate asses provide them.

Those literacy programs and teachers and resources that actually taught you how to read--you know, the ones that are failing and need more support than ever--weren't nearly as exciting as watching kids talk about books they loved, so most people don't think twice about supporting them as Geordy makes a mint on his latest business venture. I'm not saying don't donate, just don't pretending you're actually saving the world one illiterate kid at a time.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
You want to fix literacy rates? Axe private schools, up teacher pay to match the teachers of those high schools, and give everyone the same level of education - that is, a high quality one. You don't get a better education because you're wealthy. That's the real reading rainbow.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
tumblr_lfisr8uWT51qe6eoto1_500.png

Merlin_sl

shitlord
You want to fix literacy rates? Axe private schools, up teacher pay to match the teachers of those high schools, and give everyone the same level of education - that is, a high quality one. You don't get a better education because you're wealthy. That's the real reading rainbow.
STFU with this. Paying a teacher more doesn't equal getting a better education. It just means the teacher makes more money. If teachers pay ment a great education, then the students in Detroit and New York would all be going to Harvard.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Just because this thread is a shitheap already doesn't mean we want to listen to you two fucksticks get into this derail here. Take that shit to the General forums.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
STFU with this. Paying a teacher more doesn't equal getting a better education. It just means the teacher makes more money. If teachers pay ment a great education, then the students in Detroit and New York would all be going to Harvard.
meant..
smile.png

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
STFU with this. Paying a teacher more doesn't equal getting a better education. It just means the teacher makes more money.
Pretty sure we can agree that increasing the budget to pay them, which allows recruiting more talented people, will equal in beter educations being given.

For the competent people, education sector isn't very attractive. They can easily do beter.