Parasite (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
This is quite the onion to peel away layer by layer. Very fun movie to have each new revelation come over you as events just come and go. I tend to agree it's really a masterful art piece on film but it's not the very pinnacle tier of best movies ever or anything like that. It's talked about a lot because it has sooooo much symbolism throughout and how things represent other things. That's the fun and genius of the movie indeed but in totality it's not incredible; just... very well done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Although I'm bias and I think it does deserve best picture..

I think it has to do with trying to put either South Korean film directors/movies on the map for the western public and/or giving Bong Joon-ho an Oscar/recognition he deserves. His movies are all pretty good, and was a pretty prolific in S. Koreans blockbuster boom.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It deserved Best Picture because there was literally nothing better this year. Not because of any International / Foreign Film bullshit.

The movie industry needed to release better movies but they didn't. So this one wins by default.

The problem with Joker is that it was too derivative of Scorsese's past films.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Going to give this a go.

Along the same lines, is Shoplifters worth watching? I've had it sitting in my queue for a while

Just finished both back-to-back. They’re both worth watching but different movies. Coincidentally they both include a thunderstorm sex scene though. Parasite was really good on many levels. It was a great movie, movie. It had defined acts, plot, character growth, etc great visuals, good story (maaayyybbbeee 15 min too long?). Shoplifters seems like it exists to tell an experience and just the lives of these people. There’s a plot “plot” but mostly you’re just watching this family go through stuff. And it is very well done. But I can totally see how people would hate this type of movie. There’s a lot more sex stuff too if you’re in to that.

drunk P.S. - There was a scene early’ish in Parasite where it is a wide shot and the characters are going up the stairs in the left of the frame and then the maid comes from the middle behind and moves off to the right and the dog comes chasing. That was the point I was like “I can fux with this.” the shot and movement in frame was awesome.

spronk

FPS noob
production has started on the directors next movie, Mickey7 starring Robert Pattinson

sounds cool but very different from everything he has done in the past. Sounds similar to Sam Rockwell's Moon:

Ho's upcoming film is based on the book of the same name by Edward Ashton which centres on an Expendable – a disposable employee - called Mickey7.
Mickey is sent to colonise an ice world, and soon realises that his body can regenerate after death but with his memories are still preserved.