Parent Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My youngest went though Croup not to long ago, anytime he woke up and it was hard for him to breath I took him out on the porch where it was cold and it helped him breath and calm down. A few days later it went away.

It really stinks watching them go through it though, their breathing sounds like it's so hard for them to do.
frown.png

frown.png

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Slight derail on this topic of kids...what age do you think it's appropriate to first expose them to movies such as Star Wars, Avengers, Lord of the Rings, etc? My son is seven and has seen all the Star Wars films, indiana Jones 1 and 3, and first two LOTR. I cover his eyes during some more scary scenes (drinking from wrong grail, opening ark, why you shouldnt fight near a propellor driven plane, etc). I overheard the mother of a child in his class talk about how she wouldn't let her daughter watch Disney's Beauty & the Beast because of the "intense scenes". I felt like maybe I made a bad choice exposing him to those movies even though he enjoys them over and over.

Slight derail on this topic of kids...what age do you think it's appropriate to first expose them to movies such as Star Wars, Avengers, Lord of the Rings, etc? My son is seven and has seen all the Star Wars films, indiana Jones 1 and 3, and first two LOTR. I cover his eyes during some more scary scenes (drinking from wrong grail, opening ark, why you shouldnt fight near a propellor driven plane, etc). I overheard the mother of a child in his class talk about how she wouldn't let her daughter watch Disney's Beauty & the Beast because of the "intense scenes". I felt like maybe I made a bad choice exposing him to those movies even though he enjoys them over and over.
This is just my opinion but I feel like there is so much over reactionary handholding nonsense in parenting these days. Like heaven forbid a kid cries it out. God forbid the kid gets dirty. Or eats a food at the wrong developmental time. Or drinks from the wrong kind of bottle. FFS one of the folks in our circle talks about how sensitive her daughter is (like its a good thing) and how her daughter cried one time because she lost her paper cup they got in the mall food court and they WENT BACK TO THE MALL AND LOOKED FOR IT because the daughter was worried that since the CUP HAD FEELINGS that the cup would feel lost and sad.

Like use good judgment, you know your kid and your kid's maturity levels and talk to them about things which might be scary and start a dialogue. Most important thing is that you and your spouse are on the same page.

At least that's how my husband and I are approaching it. Same with video games. Certain things will be introduced when its appropriate. Obviously Call of Duty at 9 is not. But maybe Halo is.

Don't even get me started on 'attachment parenting'. Everytime I hear someone talk about nursing until 3 or how the kid is only crying because you're not meeting some sort of need I have to internalize "do not roll your eyes do not roll your eyes do not roll your eyes do not roll your eyes." Because the thing that gets me about AP is that its inherently judgmental. Like do whatever you want with your own kid but the implication with AP is that if you're not doing it its because you don't love your kid enough. Which bothers me.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Hahaha that's pretty Echuta. No Beauty and the Beast? My son is only 3 months, but I have zero plans to shelter him from such things as kissing, homosexuality (minus the sex part of course - "you know how I love your mommy? well some pairs of guys or girls love each other that way"), or minimal violence. A friend of a friend wouldn't let his sons watch the Indiana Jones trilogy until they were 18, which I thought was beyond fucking pathetic. You mean that same 18 year old kid who's had more sex partners in his short life than most people have in their entire lives? THAT son? I have no idea how some people forget their childhoods. I found my dad's Playboy collection when I was 11 or so. I'll make sure my collection isn't hidden too well, so my son can find it when he's ready.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Everytime I hear someone talk about nursing until 3 or how the kid is only crying because you're not meeting some sort of need I have to internalize "do not roll your eyes do not roll your eyes do not roll your eyes do not roll your eyes."
Yeah, no shit, My 2 year old cries all the time, and it isn't because she has some sort of need, it is because she is kind of whiny. Now a baby, sure, they only cry for a need. Sometimes that "need" is a learned habit of being held or something like that. But to them, it is a need. Toddlers? Fuck that.

I am guilty of indulging my girls somewhat. They won't go to sleep until I've read their book and sang their songs and kissed all their stuffed animals goodnight. Or they have this inhuman need to touch things in stores, not grab just touch, and I let it slide. But when you get into the kind of shit you're talking about, no.

Funny enough that you mentioned eating foods at the wrong developmental time, new studies say that pretty much all of those "off limits foods" for babies like peanuts and eggs and whatever else are "off limits" for no reason. There is no discernible increase in food allergies from eating these foods prior to a year, it was one study that prompted a panic. My pediatrician was never on board with that and now I see why. Some things they do still say not to give them, like honey due to the botulism risk.

lindz

#DDs
My 10 mo was sick a couple weeks ago with a pretty high fever for a few days. Since then she is back to not sleeping through the night. Trying all the tricks I used to get her sleeping through the night in the first place, but its not working. She just wants comfort and absolutely will not go back to sleep unless I lay with her. Just feeding her and putting her back to bed won't eve work. This is like 4+ times a night right now and I feel like a zombie. Ugh.

Just needed to whine.
tongue.png

tongue.png

Yeah, no shit, My 2 year old cries all the time, and it isn't because she has some sort of need, it is because she is kind of whiny. Now a baby, sure, they only cry for a need. Sometimes that "need" is a learned habit of being held or something like that. But to them, it is a need. Toddlers? Fuck that.

I am guilty of indulging my girls somewhat. They won't go to sleep until I've read their book and sang their songs and kissed all their stuffed animals goodnight. Or they have this inhuman need to touch things in stores, not grab just touch, and I let it slide. But when you get into the kind of shit you're talking about, no.

Funny enough that you mentioned eating foods at the wrong developmental time, new studies say that pretty much all of those "off limits foods" for babies like peanuts and eggs and whatever else are "off limits" for no reason. There is no discernible increase in food allergies from eating these foods prior to a year, it was one study that prompted a panic. My pediatrician was never on board with that and now I see why. Some things they do still say not to give them, like honey due to the botulism risk.
Exactly. Or don't eat peanut butter because it can cause an allergy when baby is in utero to manifest later when they are born.

People are allergic to fucking everything these days because their immune systems dont get exposed to enough. Antibacterial EVERYTHING is the reason that people are allergic to everything as well responsible for creating superbugs (bacteria).

The odds of a child being allergic to ANYTHING environmental (pollen, mold, grass, trees, animals) decreases by 80% if they are raised in a home with 2 or more pets.

But folks would have to actually understand how allergic reactions work to understand why this is a big bloody problem. Throw the kids in dirt, introduce foods in a way that they cant choke on it, and done. Blech.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's very true. And at least some people realize it.

I remember seeing a recent study which found that children who were raised on farms have fewer common seasonal/animal allergies, and the allergies they do have tend to be less severe, than children raised in the suburbs.

We needed a study for this?

I mean it's good to be conscious of cleanliness and sanitation, but there's no reason to be an idiot about it.

Edit: But don't feed your baby honey. That really is a no-no food.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
I recall one night when my son, who was 2yo at the time, had 105 temp. We rushed him to the ER and found out he had ear infection and strep. Now when he has a fever I always tend to keep real close tabs on him even though he's never spiked that high since. Talking with other parents it seems like they all have a story of that one illness that gave them a true scare.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
From Babycenter.com

Can I keep my preschooler from developing an allergy to our pet in the first place?

Probably not, especially if you or your partner has allergies. Your child would then be genetically predisposed to develop some sort of allergy himself, though perhaps not the same kind as yours.

Gonna need a source on this, sounds just as phony as the other side.
There's at least a couple studies at this point.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=116852&page=1
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500166_162-519978.html
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/aug2002/niaid-27.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12190366
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/20774622/n...-be-too-clean/

Feel free to google away. (Some of the links are to the same study but encapsulate results better than others in certain parts).

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So you're trying to tell me allergies aren't genetic?

Allergic diseases are strongly familial: identical twins are likely to have the same allergic diseases about 70% of the time; the same allergy occurs about 40% of the time in non-identical twins.[25] Allergic parents are more likely to have allergic children,[26] and those children's allergies are likely to be more severe than those in children of non-allergic parents. Some allergies, however, are not consistent along genealogies; parents who are allergic to peanuts may have children who are allergic to ragweed. It seems that the likelihood of developing allergies is inherited and related to an irregularity in the immune system, but the specific allergen is not.[26]

The risk of allergic sensitization and the development of allergies varies with age, with young children most at risk.[27] Several studies have shown that IgE levels are highest in childhood and fall rapidly between the ages of 10 and 30 years.[27] The peak prevalence of hay fever is highest in children and young adults and the incidence of asthma is highest in children under 10.[28] Overall, boys have a higher risk of developing allergies than girls,[26] although for some diseases, namely asthma in young adults, females are more likely to be affected.[29] Sex differences tend to decrease in adulthood.[26] Ethnicity may play a role in some allergies; however, racial factors have been difficult to separate from environmental influences and changes due to migration.[26] It has been suggested that different genetic loci are responsible for asthma, to be specific, in people of European, Hispanic, Asian, and African origins
If you have allergies you have a huge chance of passing them on to your kids, they may not be the exact ones but it's almost guarenteed they'll get it.

I have the same exact medication allergies as my mother.

My dad is allergic to cats so we always had a ton of dogs....my brother is alergic to dogs but not cats.

Allergies are passed on through genes, it's not 100% for sure though how your immune system will process them from generation to generation though.

So you're trying to tell me allergies aren't genetic?
Yes. That's exactly what I'm trying to tell you.
rolleyes.png

I'm saying that the response is a MASSIVE overgeneralization that leads to a factually innaccurate conclusion.

If you're talking about immune DISORDERS that's one thing. There's clear causal links that have been established in those cases and in some cases the mutations in the specific genes that result in the condition have been identified (example - certain autoimmune diseases).

But the environmental role in allergy development is SO huge that someone saying "If you or your partner have allergies, there's nothing you can do environmental wise to reduce the way allergies develop" is pants on fucking head retarded. Genetics do play a role but the extent is not well established at all so the assertion that someone can't do anything to help by changing the environment/exposure is simply uneducated.

And its the type of shit that runs rampant on internet forums. Or would you suggest seeking medical advice from folks here as well?

TLDR: When it comes to medical issues, actual studies/facts>people talking on internet forums.

Baby center, baby gaga etc have their place in terms of stroller reviews, sharing breastfeeding challenges etc. But if you're citing it for medical support to an opinion or to answer a question.....the internet would like to talk to you.

rolleyes.png