Parent Thread

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This is small minded tripe and you should be ashamed. Since you didn't make any actual points I'll just assume this is what religious indoctrination does to you, deprives you of your critical thinking skills and common sense.
Ok so now you know how stupid your comments were.

You are suggesting that somebody that believes in a religion (any religion) should stop practicing it immediately because they have kids on the off chance that it brainwashes the kid to think a certain way. Yes that is small minded tripe. Your dislike for religion has deprived you of your critical thinking.

You have made it obvious that when it comes to a complicated discussion of religion you have no real convictions and would merely tell your kids that you don't know the right answer. You falsely assume what we tell our kids to believe which holds no basis in reality.

I go to church fairly often, not every single week, things happen. My kids come with. When they ask questions I tell them that is what we, their parents, believe. We aren't going to not tell them what we believe. We don't push them or expect them to spend a certain amount of hours studying and learning about religion. If they have questions we answer them and we make sure to explain to them that other people don't necessarily believe and why they don't. We don't pretend our beliefs are the only option.

Our house is one that critically thinks. Our kids are not indoctrinated. Your kids are indoctrinated to have a disdain for religion.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
You are suggesting that somebody that believes in a religion (any religion) should stop practicing it immediately because they have kids on the off chance that it brainwashes the kid to think a certain way,
See the middle east craziness thread for that "off chance"

You have made it obvious that when it comes to a complicated discussion of religion you have no real convictions and would merely tell your kids that you don't know the right answer. You falsely assume what we tell our kids to believe which holds no basis in reality.
What basis does any religion have in reality?

I go to church fairly often, not every single week, things happen. My kids come with. When they ask questions I tell them that is what we, their parents, believe.
Oh good, I'm glad you don't show them evidence or tell them why. That might sound less like indoctrination.

Our house is one that critically thinks. Our kids are not indoctrinated. Your kids are indoctrinated to have a disdain for religion.
Not really, we love all fairy tales equally. I tell them about the easter bunny and santa claus too. Also when we watch movies that have fantastical characters and they ask me if they are real I tell them no. It's all about equality.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I did not expect the full court press on the hyperbole train. I guess I hit a nerve when talking about your greedy profession. I guess it could be worse, you could have been an investment banker. They might be the only people more immoral and greedy.

Feel free to Gordon Gekko your kids though because indoctrination as a one percenter living a life of greed and lies is fine but allowing them to know what their parents believe is the worst parenting ever.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I did not expect the full court press on the hyperbole train. I guess I hit a nerve when talking about your greedy profession. I guess it could be worse, you could have been an investment banker. They might be the only people more immoral and greedy.

Feel free to Gordon Gekko your kids though because indoctrination as a one percenter living a life of greed and lies is fine but allowing them to know what their parents believe is the worst parenting ever.
Is that all you've got a_skeleton_03? Attempting to insult my profession as if I care. Anything but addressing the point, I guess.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The point is that for real your profession is worse than what I do with my kids.

The point is that you cannot just become some atheist the second you have kids so you don't risk offending Izo or Cad.

The point is parenting is explaining things like religion and morality. It isn't just coming home from your high paying job and tossing your kid a new box of Legos as you head out to go golfing.

The point is that we all parent differently and just because you have one opinion about a certain belief doesn't make you the arbiter of whether kids are allowed to learn about religion.

The point is I would rather a child be raised Muslim or in Scientology than be completely apathetic with this belief that the only thing that matters is daddy's paycheck.

The point is I take great lengths to ensure that my kids are not indoctrinated. Great lengths. I go through those same lengths to ensure the rest of my extended family does the same much to their dismay. It's not because I am wish washy on my belief or that I feel it could be wrong but because how you come about what you believe is just as important as your beliefs.

The point is that you should care what your profession tells your children about you. You should care more about that then your religious belief or unbelief. A profession is the litmus test for your character a lot of the time.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You work in an industry built on greed and lies that assumes the worst in everyone. Your profession helps people ruin others and splits up families. Your peers can be the most base creatures motivated by nothing except the mighty dollar.

You should quit your job now and only work again when your children are 18 so you don't indoctrinate them into that culture of immorality.
You were in the army/marines, killing people (by proxy?). How is that the moral high ground - or more importantly, a road to truth? What profession do you think is appropriate for forstering kids instead? Science? Health care?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The point is that for real your profession is worse than what I do with my kids.
My profession has nothing to do with what I do with my kids. I don't take them to work, they don't ask about my work. They really have no clue what I do. And wow, you're right, high dollar patent litigation between large companies is so evil. *jerk off motion*

The point is that you cannot just become some atheist the second you have kids so you don't risk offending Izo or Cad.
No, but as a parent I'd expect you to be responsible about what you teach your kids and not teach them fairy tales as if they're true. You do what you want, they're your kids, but you're perpetuating the ignorance that has plagued society for thousands of years. GOOD JOB.

The point is parenting is explaining things like religion and morality. It isn't just coming home from your high paying job and tossing your kid a new box of Legos as you head out to go golfing.
Strawman, I'm sure I spend more time with my kids than you spend with yours.

The point is that we all parent differently and just because you have one opinion about a certain belief doesn't make you the arbiter of whether kids are allowed to learn about religion.
I'm not the arbiter of anything. I'm just allowed to tell you you're stupid on a message board for teaching your kids fairy tales are true.

The point is I take great lengths to ensure that my kids are not indoctrinated. Great lengths. I go through those same lengths to ensure the rest of my extended family does the same much to their dismay. It's not because I am wish washy on my belief or that I feel it could be wrong but because how you come about what you believe is just as important as your beliefs.
You ought to try "believing" in less stuff, and try "observing and drawing conclusions from what you observe" more. There's no reason to arbitrarily "believe" in anything. Critical thinking, son.

The point is that you should care what your profession tells your children about you. You should care more about that then your religious belief or unbelief. A profession is the litmus test for your character a lot of the time.
You don't know me or how I work. You don't know what my firm does. Good money says you've never been around lawyers except what you see on TV. Get the fuck out of here with your nonsense.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The lawyer that handled my recent accident case was very professional, honest, and nice. And she had super nice feet. I refuse to believe that a woman with feet that nice could be an asshole.

I think you guys are getting hung up on the words. "Indoctrination" is what it is, religion isn't the only thing we indoctrinate our kids into in our society. It isn't necessarily bad, it is just a thing that exists. I don't give my kids a run of options for what nation they can identify with, they're American, George Washington is awesome, and we pretty much rule. I'm not going to present all sides on this issue and give them alternatives.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The lawyer that handled my recent accident case was very professional, honest, and nice. And she had super nice feet. I refuse to believe that a woman with feet that nice could be an asshole.

I think you guys are getting hung up on the words. "Indoctrination" is what it is, religion isn't the only thing we indoctrinate our kids into in our society. It isn't necessarily bad, it is just a thing that exists. I don't give my kids a run of options for what nation they can identify with, they're American, George Washington is awesome, and we pretty much rule. I'm not going to present all sides on this issue and give them alternatives.
Speaking of Founding Fathers - Benjamin Franklin was pretty cool too.
The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.
I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies.
Lighthouses are more helpful than churches
Number of incarcerated citizens/capita, number of adults who believe in angels and number one in defense spending? (Fun movie). Kid, we're Canadian. Japanese. Belgian Waffles!