Parent Thread

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I totally agree, CIO worked wonders for 2 of our 3 kids (the third was amazing decided that he likes sleep more than being held, so he points to the crib once he's done with his bottle, with a small pit stop of petting his wall-art giraffe). I recommend the method to everyone, because even though it may be a bit heartbreaking, I think it makes for a stronger parent as well.

Though now we moved our two oldest kids (5yo girl & 3yo boy) into the same room with bunk beds and now we're going to need to go back through sleep training with them. They have different sleep needs (3yo boy somehow needs less sleep than the 5yo girl), but they go to bed at the same time. We 'solved' that by cuddling with him to keep him in bed, but now he wants us to lay there with him every fucking night.
tl;dr summary: sleep train your kids and leave it that way.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
CIO did not work for my kid the little we tried it. When he was an infant he would not sleep unless we were holding him. We tried everything we could think of, one time he cried for an hour straight and I just said "FUCK IT."

Eventually when we sleep trained him we modified it to basically letting him cry for a couple minutes, soothing him, and repeating but increasing the intervals between soothing him. Now we just put him down and that's it, he never gives us trouble. Sometimes he has a little party in the crib right when we put him down but it's better than crying.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
CIO did not work for my kid the little we tried it. When he was an infant he would not sleep unless we were holding him. We tried everything we could think of, one time he cried for an hour straight and I just said "FUCK IT."

Eventually when we sleep trained him we modified it to basically letting him cry for a couple minutes, soothing him, and repeating but increasing the intervals between soothing him. Now we just put him down and that's it, he never gives us trouble. Sometimes he has a little party in the crib right when we put him down but it's better than crying.
Yeah, there's a bunch of different versions of CIO... what you're describing is the Ferber method (of CIO). It's exactly the same thing with specific intervals that increase (and increase on each day of sleep training). The key being "Don't pick the kid up" and "let them cry the entire interval".

It's 2, 5, 8, 11, 15 or something the first day (and you stay steady at 15 minutes) and then you drop the 2 minute interval the second day, the 2 and 5 minute intervals the second day, etc.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Yeah, when you say "cry it out" those who are against it seem to think you just leave your kid there to cry for hours on end. Not the case at all. I think we started with 3-5-7 (and then 7-7-7-7-7-7-etc. since it was the first night), next few nights 5-7-10, then 7-10-15. First two nights was a lot of visits but by the end of the first week she would fall asleep before we needed to even make a visit.

FWIW she was already a pretty good sleeper, sleeping through most of the night already in her bassinet in our bedroom. We had to use CIO for crib training her which we started at around 6 months.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
CIO works, no doubt about it. About the only reason not to do it is if they throw up. Then it becomes a goddamn shit show. Then the little assholes realize if they throw up you'll come in and they throw up within minutes. Kids are smart.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
CIO works, no doubt about it. About the only reason not to do it is if they throw up. Then it becomes a goddamn shit show. Then the little assholes realize if they throw up you'll come in and they throw up within minutes. Kids are smart.
My 2 year old likes to take his diaper off and take a dump in the center of the bed...he is potty training.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Kids are shits.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
My 2 year old likes to take his diaper off and take a dump in the center of the bed...he is potty training.
Haha what the fuck, I would probably beat that kid.
smile.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Speaking of dumps. The little dude woke up 3 times the other night crying his head off. When I went in there was a massive red shit in his diaper (not blood) and his ass was raw. He ate some meatballs which I guess didn't quite agree with him. The worst part was he was in absolute pain during wiping, so it was a shitshow all night.

You could smell his shits outside the bedroom door when you went up there too.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also my kid is showing more signs of communication that are positive. No talking yet but not too worried.

The other day he was sipping from a new sippy cup and the spill-proof cap made this awful noise that sounded like Rosie O'donnell taking a diarrhea shit and I started laughing hard going "what the heck was that!!!". He laughed and kept doing it. Everytime he saw me laugh his eyes lit up and he kept doing it, it was great.

The best part was he didn't even drink the water, he just let it all fall out of his mouth. Wife was pissed..... I was laughing.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Speaking of dumps. The little dude woke up 3 times the other night crying his head off. When I went in there was a massive red shit in his diaper (not blood) and his ass was raw. He ate some meatballs which I guess didn't quite agree with him. The worst part was he was in absolute pain during wiping, so it was a shitshow all night.

You could smell his shits outside the bedroom door when you went up there too.
get some of the clear healing ointment for the diaper rash, but yeah there's going to be literal shitshows while they eat food that isn't for them.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
Not sure what sauce was covering the meatballs, but anything tomato-based has been a bad idea for our daughter. Guaranteed rash/irritation whenever tomato pee/poo comes out. Maybe because tomatoes are acidic or something. /shrug

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah we figured maybe it was too acidic for him (tomato-based). It's the only real way to see what they're allergic too anyways.

Happened the first time he ate carrots too but now he loves them.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
3 year old basically wont sleep(nap or bedtime) unless someone lays down with him until he falls asleep. Doesn't matter if it's our bed, his bed, the guest bedroom, whatever.

My wife has just been taking him to bed with her when she goes(she goes to bed early, gets up at 5am for work), and then I move him to his own bed when I got to bed hours later, but I'm thinking that's a bad habit to get into. But if she doesn't, it's the kid getting out of bed over and over and over and over again until someone goes in and lays down with him for 20 minutes until he falls asleep(also a bad habit to get in to)

Is this just a phase that will end on its own, I have no idea how to break this chain before it turns into a permanent problem.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
3 year old basically wont sleep(nap or bedtime) unless someone lays down with him until he falls asleep. Doesn't matter if it's our bed, his bed, the guest bedroom, whatever.

My wife has just been taking him to bed with her when she goes(she goes to bed early, gets up at 5am for work), and then I move him to his own bed when I got to bed hours later, but I'm thinking that's a bad habit to get into. But if she doesn't, it's the kid getting out of bed over and over and over and over again until someone goes in and lays down with him for 20 minutes until he falls asleep(also a bad habit to get in to)

Is this just a phase that will end on its own, I have no idea how to break this chain before it turns into a permanent problem.
Sit in the room but not in bed. That can help break the habit a bit more gently than complete cold turkey. Or cut the time period to 5 minutes and lock the fucker in his bedroom.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The phrase "give thanks for healthy kids" has to be the most under appreciated phrase there is.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My sister is about one month from popping and gas gestational diabetes and low iron. She's about ready for the alien to come out. Also she's an idiot and can't handle the diet restrictions.

Daelos

Guarding the guardians
The phrase "give thanks for healthy kids" has to be the most under appreciated phrase there is.
Yeah.
And it doesn't really register until something happens to your child.

Daughter was diagnosed with T1 diabetes about 2 months ago (she's 8). Fortunately she's an awesome little person, and although she's unhappy about stabbing herself with needles multiple times a day, calculating carbs for every meal, getting woken in the night and force-fed orange juice... she gets on with her life and doesn't complain. It's overwhelming and weird and frightening and wonderful when your tiny baby grows into a person you admire. Pretty much more than anyone else I know. She has an inner strength and joy that puts that puts everyone else I have ever met to shame.

One thing that has surprised me about the last few weeks, is the apathy of some people. Within days of her diagnosis I'd finished reading pretty much all info I could get my hands on about the disease, how to deal with it, treat it, available tech and medications, current research etc. (During the first meetings with the ped doctor, I kept correcting him about what cgms and insulin pumps were available, and when they changed her basal insulin from one drug to another I predicted what that would do to her blood sugars (unfortunately I should have been more assertive to stop them from changing it)).
During the time in hospital and after, we've run into other parents with newly diagnosticated T1D children. I look at them struggling with carb calculations that my daughter has done on her own since 4-5 days after she was admitted. It's not really that complicated.

In the end, it's a crappy, stupid disease. But it's there. And there's never been a better time for it. The tools available to manage diabetes today are so much better than only a few years ago. And looking at OpenAPS and what companies like Medtronic are working on, the advances in the next 5-10 years should make life so much easier.

But yeah. Having healthy children is good.