Parent Thread

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, my newphew loves Skylanders, and he's 9 but has been playing it since he was 8. It's one of the few kids games(besides the Lego games) that I actually look forward to playing with him.

lindz

#DDs
Are the Lego games decent? They look (aesthetically) pretty terrible but I've never seen them played.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Nah, I just think (too far) ahead.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The people you see having serious trouble potty training are waiting until their kids get to the defiant stage. If you catch them early enough, it's 1000 times easier because they want to succeed, not be their own person and ignore what you say.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Family, Friends, Food.
Work is the last thing on my mind.
Pretty much this, work is important because it supports all the above mentioned (except for friends, unless you're that nice) But without my family my drive at work would be greatly diminished. Everything I do is for them and myself....in that order.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. The people you see having serious trouble potty training are waiting until their kids get to the defiant stage. If you catch them early enough, it's 1000 times easier because they want to succeed, not be their own person and ignore what you say.
Yeah, There's no right age, it's just whenever they take to it. With all my kids I tried at different stages in their life starting at a year old. (starting early is definitely good) If they took an interest that's when we did it, if not I waited a few months and tried again. Every kid is different.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My family motivates me, and I wish I could be all carefree and stuff, but I am the sole money earner in my house. I have to take my career seriously. I am also going to school more or less full time so I can keep making money. There are plenty of times I have had to choose work or school over family and I don't feel guilty at all for that. I don't like it, of course I wish I was independently wealthy or something. But at this point I have 3 girls to put through college within 3 years of each other. I need to work harder.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I guess they both kinda go hand in hand. My dad worked 80 hour weeks when I was growing up, it seemed like he was putting work above family....but he did it because he was putting his family above everything else. It's hard to say one isn't directly related to the other really.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Are the Lego games decent? They look (aesthetically) pretty terrible but I've never seen them played.
Every one I have played has been really fun. The Star Wars games, Batman, Indiana Jones. Really good kids games, and even pretty fun for adults too. I think pretty much all of them have 2-player co-op, which is great. There aren't too many good co-op games out there anymore(that aren't online). All of the games have a variety of levels from beat-em-up levels(think old-school double dragon or final fight/streets of rage style co-op), to vehicle driving levels, to puzzle solving levels. Great variety in all of them, and really good humor as well.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
So thinking this is the thread to post in for this, but does anyone have any experience with sperm clinics and/or adoption to have a kid? We recently found out I am unable to father kids of my own and now are headed down this path. I am personally behind the sperm clinic route, that why the Mrs. can experience pregnancy and the kid will have one of our genes.

Shoot me a PM if you do not want to talk in public on this, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Do you have zero sperm at all? I mean they could just use what you have and fertilize one of her eggs and then implant it that wan and boom. Instant baby.

Kinner

Practically speaking, yes. We are not going to do any type of major invitro to try and force the issue. I have personal beliefs on this matter so this is where we are at.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So if you have personal beliefs on it then how is going to a sperm bank going to not encompass those?

Im just wondering if they are religious because if that's the case then outside of letting someone flat out have sex with your wife, you seem to be boned.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Neither adoption nor artificial insemination is cheap. The one upside to insemination is that you can still retain some privacy, with the adoption process you'll have many visits from child services or whoever to you home, your financials will be examined, etc. I'd personally probably try insemination first if that is an option for you guys, it's a lot less intrusive for your personal lives. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good that adoptive parents are thoroughly checked out, I just wouldn't want to go through all of that if I had other options.

Kinner

So if you have personal beliefs on it then how is going to a sperm bank going to not encompass those?

Im just wondering if they are religious because if that's the case then outside of letting someone flat out have sex with your wife, you seem to be boned.
My thoughts are not religious as a whole, there is some religion there, but more personal beliefs. If I was meant to have a kid, then I would be able to naturally. I'm not getting in to medical specifics here, but basically it is a no go to use what sperm I do have, they simply do not work and we are not doing the ICSI procedure, which is not guaranteed to work and is quite costly.

I do not consider IVI as a major invitro procedure. It can be performed at home and is not terribly expensive.

Since I can not physically give my wife a child and let her experience childbirth while she is healthy, then IVI or IUI is the way to go for us. We could possibly adopt our second child, or we could perform the procedure again and the kids would have the same father, if we chose.

Kinner

The one upside to insemination is that you can still retain some privacy
Which is one of the lesser reasons why I am leaning this route. I am just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this here and if so, their thoughts on the whole situation.