Parent Thread

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I was spanked, albeit not very often (my brother got it worse). It never did anything but cause resentment to me. I'm partially overzealous in my response because my mother was straight up abused and I think the line between punishment and abuse is very thin.

It certainly can be. But being cognizant of that is part of being able to wield it effectively. It is a tool for when obedience is needed immediately. There are going to be times when your kids cross boundaries in dangerous ways. Are they going to thank you for not spanking them when they're missing a limb, or they or their friend got killed? If you ever catch your son throwing rocks at other kids or animals, that's a lesson that won't be learned properly without pain. Better it comes from you rather than the other kid throwing a bigger rock or the animal biting him.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
To be fair, one dude basically said beat the shit out of your kid.

But yeah man, lots of ways to mess up as a parent. Our main job is to minimize harm, is it not?

My apologies if he truly meant that, I didn't take it as such. Again like I said my son has gotten 2 spanks in his life and remembers both. I don't think the threat of a spank as my last resort would work if he hadn't received one.

My food comment may have been over the top also. I was a full time stay at home parent for 2.5 years and worked evenings for 6 months before that. I was in all the mom groups and play dates that were available. I constantly heard from out of shape mom's who just shoved a phone in their kids face so they could talk about how hard they had it. So sorry for projecting that you on you gentlemen. We are all doing the best we can

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
these things are badass. Bought the 100 pack

81ZVY35f5GL._SL1500_.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

agripa

Molten Core Raider
My 4 year old will play with magna-tiles for hours. My daughter is about a month old and I forgot what scammy shit goes on around babies. My wife is convinced we need an owelette which is basically a oxygen monitor sock that your little one wears on their foot 24/7. It is supposed to help "prevent sids". Our pediatrician/lactation consultant said my wife needs these pills for breast feeding... which also feels like a scam/kickback for the Dr. THERALOGIX TheraNatal® Lactation Complete Postnatal Vitamin - Supplements

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That owelette thing must be the latest fad. Seen it everywhere. I've read that it doesn't even help prevent Sid's

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
No one knows, for certain, what prevents SIDS, or it wouldn't be called "SIDS" anymore. It's Sudden because we don't know why.

We had all that shit thrown at us (both times). We ignored it all and just paid close attention to the kids (simple baby monitor, ridding the crib of all the extra shit, etc) and so far, so good. For our first, though, we tried using that monitor pad for keeping track of the kid's breathing, and holy shit, the false alarms.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well Christmas is exhausting

Got 3 car loads of toys plus what we got them. My wife went overboard too. I live in a cape. There's nowhere to physically put all this shit.

The only silver lining here is my 2.5 year old had the best Christmas ever. Literally everything he opened today (even clothes) hed go "ohhhh woooow <item>, open it daddy!!!"

Didn't even train him to do that.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

SIDS is still SIDS because...as stated, its really random and every single modern case of it is investigated so heavily - I feel for the parents to go through the loss of their child and then a huge grilling from the medical community as they try and figure out what little factor "could be it!"

Sleep this way, sleep that way, upside down, on the back, on the belly, no blanket, only sheets, no sheets, no pillows, only pillows, only firm mattresses, only memory foam mattresses etc. etc. on and on and on

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My kids made out pretty well this Christmas. Every year I say "we're going to cut back on what they get" and every year I fail. The idea I had was to get them fewer items, but make those items quality so they actually care about them. My oldest got one of those Kano build your own laptop kits. So far she's used it for minecraft and youtube so, working as intended I guess. She also got a ton of doll clothes, stupid american girl doll stuff is ridiculous, and a sewing kit so she can make her own doll clothes which was pretty cool. Youngest two got kids kindles and knock off american girl dolls from target. My middle girl got a rock tumbler, she's super into rocks, but I didn't realize how long that stuff takes. She's not complaining though. Youngest got a ton of horse stuff, that's her thing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our 5 year old dog got cornered by my son while I wasn't home and snapped at him. Didn't break skin but her teeth made a visible mark on his face.

I reached out to a local trainer but I have really low hopes and I'm depressed. I think my son may have add and he doesnt listen ever so not sure we can train him to listen to the dog.

Sucks

Also this fucking shit always happens when only my wife is home. Every fucking time.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Our 5 year old dog got cornered by my son while I wasn't home and snapped at him. Didn't break skin but her teeth made a visible mark on his face.

I reached out to a local trainer but I have really low hopes and I'm depressed. I think my son may have add and he doesnt listen ever so not sure we can train him to listen to the dog.

Sucks

Also this fucking shit always happens when only my wife is home. Every fucking time.
I mean he's what 2?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My daughter has been bitten twice by our dog because of situations like that. It wasn't serious, but it was scary. We think we've got her trained now. But it took a year and 2 bites. And she's now 7. That's all down to the adhd stuff I think. Also helps that our dog has less than half his teeth, previous owners were real pieces of work. If we has a dog when she was a toddler with her issues, we would have gotten rid of it. But that's probably not the correct decision.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>

Sucks

One of my kids was at a friends house when he was 4. He took a flying leap, and landed on a sleeping dog. The dog bit the shit out of his face. Had to get stitches, it was ugly.
The next day, my son went back to the same place and played with the dog.

The dog was totally not at fault, he was reacting like a dog in that situation. My son learned a valuable lesson, and has way more respect for animals now, though not fear. Just more healthy respect.

This will pass, man.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yeah he's 2 so there's that, but I'm pretty sure there's a bit more unruliness than most children. Weve been around enough to know that he's not at the same attention span
I mean he's a 2 year old boy. Even at almost 5, it seems like every boy is insane compared to my daughter.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

Sucks

Shit happens. Also your son may not listen to you, but he'll probably remember being snapped at by the dog. I had the same shit happen with all 3 of my kids, and the dog was more and more indulgent to the children.
Oldest (13mo at the time) grabs the food dish from the (6yo) dog. Dog snaps at the girl and growls for a bit.
Middle (12mo at the time) grabs the food dish from the (8yo) dog. Dog growls for a bit but doesn't snap at him.
Youngest (10mo at the time) grabs the food dish from the (10yo) dog. Dog leaves the area and comes over to me, I'm assuming to make the youngest give her food back.

The dog still growls at the kids if they are playing way to rough with her, but she realizes they give her food from the table, spill most often, and will actually play with her. She puts up with a lot. Also she's old (12.5).

I've stressed that this is OUR dog, our family member, and we need to be super nice to family and make sure the dog only plays with us when the dog wants to. But that has had a varying degree of success.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I tried to pet a neighbor's dog when I was young and got a bite on the leg for it. They didn't get rid of the dog, and I didn't try to pet it again. Everything worked out in the end.

Noodle, unless your dog is a danger to the kid I wouldn't worry too much. How big is the dog?

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
How are ya'll worried about a dog over your kid? Even if the situation is caused by your kid, how do you not get rid of the dog?

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I think it depends on the temperament of the dog. I wouldn't get rid of our dog because she's chill as fuck unless one of the kids decides to really grab her. No bites yet but if it happens once I don't see any reason to lose the dog for a first offense