Parent Thread

iannis

Musty Nester
If you can put in 3-4 hours every day for those 8 months to learn the mystery that is clothing sizes, you might just understand what sizes you need and which your child has already outgrown. State secrets such as when s stands for small, and when it stands for supergiant. Why this L is smaller than this M (from the same brand) and of course why 68-74 is a thing. Is it 68? Is it 74? Couldn't you make up your mind?!

I've always thought they should make little babystands for this problem. You wheel it into the clothes store, stick the little dude on it, and gauge the sizes directly.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
As a parent with another child driving for the first time this winter I felt like this should be shared widely.

72471760_2377219749072272_120574248988180480_n.jpg

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Natural%2BSelection%2Bvs%2BArtificial%2BSelection.jpg

I donno, dirk. I feel like we, society, people and coorps could do a lot with more education/tuition and technology to better traffic safety, patience being part of it. Phones is where I'd suggest a freedom limitation, specifically blanking while en route, however that could be done without limiting passengers. Young ppl just txt and drive way too much. Maybe a nagging alarm when in the wrong lane for too long. Cars have so many sensors now, drive autonomously too. Sucks whomever is brought in as trauma ptt, old, young, experience or not so, implicated or causal. We all bleed red.

Pops

My daughter, getting close to 3, is bitting other kids. The problem is that she does it in "self defence", I've witnessed it twice yesterday, she's playing with a toy, a kid comes near her and try to take the toy off her hands. So she bites her. Then she's sitting in a chair, a kid is trying to push her out of it, and again, she bites. On the one hand, it's very efficient as the other kids run away crying, on the other hand, I'm not sure I should encourage violence... So i'm telling her to try to find more peaceful ways to settle these problems but it feels like she didn't find the advice very useful.
If I tell her off sternly she'll probably listen, but it also mean she'll give up what the other kids want whenever they go after her, which isn't a very desirable outcome.

So do you feel I'm right to just tell her it's not the proper way to deal with that, half convincingly or small I just crack down on her?

Removed by amod. Not appropriate for the grown up forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
This graphic is triggering me so bad.
Sorry. Let's get back to how much we reproduce and care for our offspring.

Today I had a lengthy discusion with my 7 yo on why she should eat her vegetables. This ended in a rudimentary 'take 2 samples of what you like on the plate, then 1 sample vegetables. Repeat til full. Stop when full'. As opposed to 'eat all the good stuff, then say you're full when only the vegetables are left'.

What do you guys do to get kids to eat a varied, balanced plate? Vegan for a month? :D

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What do you guys do to get kids to eat a varied, balanced plate?

I choose their servings at meals. Provide veggies first, when they're hungry. No dessert/playtime until veggies are consumed. If they're really being bastards about it, veggies appear again, cold, at breakfast. By the time they're elementary age they'll actually like the greens.

As for most things with kids, you pick your battles carefully but you fucking win, every time, or you're hosed. One battle of wills now, settled decisively, saves you 10 down the line.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Sorry. Let's get back to how much we reproduce and care for our offspring.

Today I had a lengthy discusion with my 7 yo on why she should eat her vegetables. This ended in a rudimentary 'take 2 samples of what you like on the plate, then 1 sample vegetables. Repeat til full. Stop when full'. As opposed to 'eat all the good stuff, then say you're full when only the vegetables are left'.

What do you guys do to get kids to eat a varied, balanced plate? Vegan for a month? :D

lol it's no big deal. It's just that Lamarck is like second half of 18th century and Darwin is 19th century.

I'm only up to 2.5 years old so far. My son's food choices seem to consider size. Big apple, big carrot, and tiny meatball taste much better to him than pieces or normal sizes.

When he's older, I was thinking about sort of telling him that he must eat 1 thing i pick for him, and then he can have 2 things that he wants for himself.

• 1Solidarity

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm

The very first food my daughter was allowed to eat on her own was boiled vegetables and fruits, she very much liked be able to eat on her own and not be fed. So now she loves boiled vegetables and fruits. It's even a problem, because sometimes she'll eat 1 pound of broccoli, be full and not eat anything else...

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The very first food my daughter was allowed to eat on her own was boiled vegetables and fruits, she very much liked be able to eat on her own and not be fed. So now she loves boiled vegetables and fruits. It's even a problem, because sometimes she'll eat 1 pound of broccoli, be full and not eat anything else...
That's amazing, wish I'd done that. Broccoli is the best antioxidant iirc. But sure, they need fat, protein and sugar in different proportions to adults, building blocks to grow efficiently.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It's even a problem, because sometimes she'll eat 1 pound of broccoli, be full and not eat anything else...

Same problem with my son. He'll eat a serving of broccoli the size of his head and then be on the toilet the entire next day.

• 1Worf

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The first solid food all of my kids ate was vegetable and fruit puree. Squash, pumpkin, peas, apples, pears, and the like. We grew it all ourselves so it was cheap as crap. Also, we simply had a policy that you were expected to eat what was on your plate. We tried hard to make sure there were plenty of things the kids loved on the plate in addition to the vegetables. Most of my kids like the veggies, but not all. But when you have meat (which all my kids adore, they're bloody carnivores for sure) and a starch they love (pasta or mashed potatoes or such), they can choke down the veggies they don't like among the food they do like.

But the expectation is clear. If it's on your plate, you're going to eat it without complaining. There certainly have been occasions when they haven't eaten the veggies, but there are consequences. The next thing they were going to eat was the veggies they didn't eat when they were supposed to. Clear expectations bring clear results. My sister essentially cooked a different meal for each of her kids because they wouldn't like what they were eating. That was crazy.

• 1Solidarity

Gurgeh

Same problem with my son. He'll eat a serving of broccoli the size of his head and then be on the toilet the entire next day.
Gotta love the broccoli and blueberry meal... The diaper the next day is... Oh I don't even want to think about it.

• 1Worf

Gurgeh

The first solid food all of my kids ate was vegetable and fruit puree. Squash, pumpkin, peas, apples, pears, and the like. We grew it all ourselves so it was cheap as crap. Also, we simply had a policy that you were expected to eat what was on your plate. We tried hard to make sure there were plenty of things the kids loved on the plate in addition to the vegetables. Most of my kids like the veggies, but not all. But when you have meat (which all my kids adore, they're bloody carnivores for sure) and a starch they love (pasta or mashed potatoes or such), they can choke down the veggies they don't like among the food they do like.

But the expectation is clear. If it's on your plate, you're going to eat it without complaining. There certainly have been occasions when they haven't eaten the veggies, but there are consequences. The next thing they were going to eat was the veggies they didn't eat when they were supposed to. Clear expectations bring clear results. My sister essentially cooked a different meal for each of her kids because they wouldn't like what they were eating. That was crazy.
I don't mind if she's not clearing her place personnaly, but what she doesn't eat isn't going to be substitued by something else.
If she wants something extra, like a biscuit or some chocolate, she's got to finish her plate.

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I don't mind if she's not clearing her place personnaly, but what she doesn't eat isn't going to be substitued by something else.
If she wants something extra, like a biscuit or some chocolate, she's got to finish her plate.

We didn't ever give ours blended food, we didn't want to get him into the habit of that being how food works, so we did the baby led weaning thing; when he was young we just gave him a bit of well cooked carrot or broccoli to chew on until he was ready to start with proper meals. He's not even 3 yet so isn't starving every day and I know he gets a proper meal at nursery Monday-Thursday, so if he clears his plate great, if he doesn't then fair enough but it doesn't get swapped for other crap. In general he's pretty good though, there isn't much he wont eat, and very rarely will he not eat something if hes hungry, just because he doesn't want that thing. He does love a roast dinner though, he shovels in almost a full chicken breast, broccoli, roast potato or 2 and 2-3 full carrots and a Yorkshire pudding, then always room for a dessert (of course).

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My kids ate really well, very diverse, when they were young. They got increasingly picky as they got older. My oldest now will at least give everything a solid try, especially if she gets to help cook it. There are some random things she just insists she doesn't like though, like pasta or potatoes.

The other two though, not so much. They both have sensory issues. Which, when I first heard that, could barely contain the spontaneous jerk off motion. But it's a real thing and over time I see it. It's easier to see it manifest in stuff likes sounds and stimulation etc, taste not so much. But I give them a wider leeway. They still try stuff but not so much. What I won't do is cook separate meals for them. I make something, I take all these caveats into account, if you don't eat it, not my problem.

I shied away from doing the "clear your plate" thing because my family has a problem with obesity and I don't want to instill that in them. I want them to eat until full and then realize the food will always be there later. I talked a bit about one kid having adhd, this is a particular problem for her as the meds make her not hungry but when they wear off she's ravenous.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I see nothing wrong with eating a pound of broccoli for supper.

Sometimes I do that too. Little girl has sense.

• 1Like