Parent Thread

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
more halloween lessons: A PUMPKIN IS NOT A CHRISTMAS TREE. YOU CANT LEAVE IT OUT THERE FOR A WEEK!! OH MY GOD IT STINKS

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My wife read some bullshit that you can dip your pumpkin in bleach solution for preservation. As far as I can tell, it extended the life of the pumpkin by about the 45 minutes it took me to get all the shit together and clean up again.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't understand why that would even work in theory.

I guess... you kill the surface bacteria?

Maybe if you did that and then sealed it in a closed hypobaric chamber.

Captain Suave

I guess... you kill the surface bacteria?

That's the idea. Of course, what kills pumpkins is mold from airborne spores.

Edit: I will say it's heavily climate-dependent. When I lived in Boston I remember pumpkins lasting for several days with no special treatment. In LA now and you're lucky if they survive an afternoon.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Having a kiddo has been pretty rewarding, I have to say. Especially now that he's walking, sorta* talking, and interactive. He gets into shit all the time, climbs all over the house and generally terrorizes my wife and I, but so far I'm having a ball being a dad. Particularly after losing my own dad this summer, it's made me appreciate and love him more having my own. Hard to explain.... Anyway, here's baby shark from Halloween. Trying for #2, but it turns out it's a lot harder having kids past a certain age than it looks on the internet...

IMG_0085.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
The people a few houses down apparently don't go thru their front door (garage entry only) and don't realize their two pumpkins are still there caving in on themselves.

A few years back my wife tried coating all 'cut' areas of our pumpkins with Vaseline or something like that and it extended the life maybe a day. Florida heat + bugs = rapid pumpkin deterioration. These days I just buy the pumpkins the week of Halloween, the night before I let the kids draw their designs and carve them, then I throw them out after we wrap up from trick or treating.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
My daughter is almost 2. For about two months now she has been stuck to me like glue. Doesn't want my wife to hold her if I'm around, doesn't want her to rock her to sleep like she has done since she was born, and will barely give her mom kisses anymore. Personally I enjoy spending time with her, but I think it's really kinda starting to hurt me wife's feelings lol. Is this normal for little girls? This is my first so I have no frame of reference. My wife is also 20 weeks with our next kid so not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
they go through phases where they are more attached to one parent, then they switch. No big deal.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

My daughter is 4 and she still clings like a monkey to whoever comforted her the last time she fell down and denies everyone else.

• 1Solidarity

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My daughter is 4 and she still clings like a monkey to whoever comforted her the last time she fell down and denies everyone else.
My daughter is coming up on 3 and she's the same; phases of favorites, last to comfort, whomever is most likely to give in to her demands (mother in law, uuuughhghg)

Super normal.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hockey has started up again, and it seems that the lessons of last year have had a lasting impact. Through three practices and one game my daughter has been treated with the utmost respect and collegiality by the guys. She's one of the team. It's so awesome to see.

It's also awesome to see how well my kids are skating. 3 of my 5 play hockey, they're all doing so well. It's really fun to be on the ice with them, and it's even more fun to help coach their teams. The boys think they're the shit, but my daughter is going to kill all the stats this year. Not to mention she's not shying from physical confrontation, which she can't at her age. She's short, but she's strong. And super solid over her skates. She's going into the corner with guys a foot taller than her and coming out with the puck. She's hitting the boards, but she's quick, so she actually gets missed more than hit. And she's putting hits on a lot of guys.

My youngest has just figured out shooting. The downward pressure necessary so the puck doesn't get under your stick on the one timers. He's probably my best skater, but has traditionally been the weakest on stick handling. You can't believe how he's coming along. He's also tiny, but he's just been asked to captain his team because he's the one making the plays. He has played one game and already has three assists. That's what he does - he sees the game and throws the puck to the right people.

My second youngest is a ham beast. He skates pretty well, stick handles pretty well, but is also super solid over his skates. He goes in and clears a path for people who then score. He's not exactly a bruiser, but he's close. He won't fight, but he throws his body into plays. He doesn't have the finesse of the other two, but he's bigger, and forces plays.

None of you care about hockey. That's fine. Right now I have three kids in four different teams, two of which travel. It's a big part of my life. And I can't tell you how rewarding it is to see the kids doing so well. Not because I want them to, but because they have taken an interest and invested themselves in this sport. They love it, never any complaint when it's time to leave for hockey.

Watching your kids succeed is really a fantastic thing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Leadaas

Dindu Nuffin
Son is 18 months old now. Hardest and most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

Wife is pregnant with our second, another boy, and we’re trying to figure out how to prepare this kid that his world is about to be turned upside down and he will no longer get 100% attention from mom and dad. She’s due in three months so they’ll be about 21 months apart.

It takes every ounce of energy I have to keep him from finding ways to kill himself as it is so I’m not terribly excited for the next year or two, but I’m sure we’ll figure it out. Nice part is we saved all the baby stuff so we have nothing we need to buy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My daughter, getting close to 3, is bitting other kids. The problem is that she does it in "self defence", I've witnessed it twice yesterday, she's playing with a toy, a kid comes near her and try to take the toy off her hands. So she bites her. Then she's sitting in a chair, a kid is trying to push her out of it, and again, she bites. On the one hand, it's very efficient as the other kids run away crying, on the other hand, I'm not sure I should encourage violence... So i'm telling her to try to find more peaceful ways to settle these problems but it feels like she didn't find the advice very useful.
If I tell her off sternly she'll probably listen, but it also mean she'll give up what the other kids want whenever they go after her, which isn't a very desirable outcome.

So do you feel I'm right to just tell her it's not the proper way to deal with that, half convincingly or small I just crack down on her?