Parent Thread

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Once they crawl you will be happy to have something that will keep them busy for 30-40 minutes, is safe, and you can hear from the other room.

This was our kitchen a few times day. If you pretend like “Hey! How did you get into all this again!” When you “catch” them doing it, they think it’s funny they’re getting away with something and will do it more.

View attachment 313660

I can feel the asswoopen i'd get from my father just looking at this pic

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I never did this stuff as a kid. American parents are way too permissive.

Not hating on you and what you're doing, but this would be unacceptable to me.
It’s not permissible to us to get into breakable shit, chemicals under the sink, plants, trash, etc.

All the other drawers had a baby proof lock on the inside of them. This was to allow him to explore on his own and keep himself busy making a mess where we can hear him. Keeping him busy for 30 minutes with a 1-2 minute cleanup was a great trade off for us.

Not saying it’s a bad thing to not allow it. We just saw he was constantly exploring and getting into shit so we controlled it 90% instead of locking it all down. It just didn’t bother us to let him play with Tupperware. The metal pots got a lock after the first time. Those were loud as fuck.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I just saw this. Genius or cruel?

try-not-to-smile-challenge-25-photos-21.jpg

• 1Genius!
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just saw this. Genius or cruel?

try-not-to-smile-challenge-25-photos-21.jpg
Genius.

I remember once in winter I fell asleep on the couch right after school. My dad woke me up and it was pitch black out, holy shit I slept all night on the couch in my clothes! So he wakes me up at the normal time I wake up and tells me it’s time to get ready for school. I go through my morning routine, he makes my breakfast, has me take a bath, brush my teeth, everything.

As I’m getting dressed he lets me know it’s actually PM and it’s about time to go to bed, I was only asleep for like an hour on the couch and the time lined up to my normal time to wake up in the morning. He just wanted to see how long I’d go with it. I think fucking with your kids is half the fun of being a parent.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Genius. Netflix has (had?) a bunch of "Ball Drop Countdowns" as well. We've used those several times to kill the kid's party at 8pm so I can go home and drink alone (my NY tradition).

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing like that we ever did (so far) was tell my kids Halloween was cancelled last year because it was snowing out and neither of us wanted to take the kids trick or treating. We took them to a movie instead.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Friend of mine had his kid wake up, eat breakfast, and get ready for school on his own. He stops them right as they're about to go out to the bus, and whispers, "Hey, you want to play hooky? If you mow the lawn I'll let you skip school!" They run and hide for five minutes. Kid spends the day cleaning the yard.

It was Saturday.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Another good one. The story on the previous page talked about how she died.

DAECE19F-411F-4AEE-80B6-64708C02662B.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My second daughter was born yesterday. Not sure if it's the experience or a different model, but it's A LOT easier this time. Barely any crying. The first one made us go through hell the first few days. Which is fortunate because I can't be of much help to the mother with the lockdown bullshit, I have to take care of the older one...

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My second daughter was born yesterday. Not sure if it's the experience or a different model, but it's A LOT easier this time. Barely any crying. The first one made us go through hell the first few days. Which is fortunate because I can't be of much help to the mother with the lockdown bullshit, I have to take care of the older one...
Congratz.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
I think it's just random. Our second kid cried all the time and our first hardly ever cried.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Some fresh homework. I asked him what “that” was...it’s the detective shooting his flame super powers into the black hole. 🤨

557B0378-18B8-4AF8-A6CE-FD93E04F60AA.jpeg

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Any resources or advice on getting an almost 3 year old to sleep? My daughter has taken on the personality of both of her parents where she can't get enough information, and refuses to sleep. Enough food and daily activity, regular schedule with bedtime - bath, books, etc. Hoping this is just a monster growth cycle and evens out over time. Everything I've read says to do what we've been doing, but also says not to do certain things which, as a parent, you do anyway because let's be honest... whatever it takes sometimes.

Really just need encouragement that it's a phase. With #2 coming at the end of February, I don't know how I'm gonna handle this when I'm barely coherent from the fever dream that is the first couple months of raising a newborn.

This too, shall pass?

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Any resources or advice on getting an almost 3 year old to sleep? My daughter has taken on the personality of both of her parents where she can't get enough information, and refuses to sleep. Enough food and daily activity, regular schedule with bedtime - bath, books, etc. Hoping this is just a monster growth cycle and evens out over time. Everything I've read says to do what we've been doing, but also says not to do certain things which, as a parent, you do anyway because let's be honest... whatever it takes sometimes.

Really just need encouragement that it's a phase. With #2 coming at the end of February, I don't know how I'm gonna handle this when I'm barely coherent from the fever dream that is the first couple months of raising a newborn.

This too, shall pass?
My oldest will be 4 in a couple months and it's all the same stuff for us. Keeping to a schedule, etc. She'll get fuckin' mean when she's real tired and trying to fight against prepping for bed. Hitting, spitting, biting. I find it's best to just disengage at that point; a couple minutes of timeout alone in her room or bathroom typically snaps her out of it.

• 1Like

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm

This too, shall pass?
My experience with my nearly 4 year old is that you have to have a routine. My daughter knows that when I tell her "last story" or "last video" it's the last one and no crying or anything won't give her anything. She knows I won't tolerate any activity beside staying in bed (except toilets ofc..). I try to make every single week day the same after 6pm, the exact same routine from monday to friday night that will get us to turning off the lights between 8:45 and 9:15.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

This too, shall pass?
I'd say just move your routine up a bit. pajamas on earlier, wind down earlier, in bed reading earlier. Their bodies will adjust after a couple weeks. My kid was staying up til 9:30-10:00 all throughout his daycare years which was fine because they do naps in the day. Once actual school started we pushed that back an hour to 8:30, within a week or two he was used to it, then we pushed it to 8:00.

You can also do some Melatonin gummies in this transition phase to fast train her brain/body to get used to it. There will be nights you can just tell she's wound up and needs it. Just don't be a lazy parent and do it every night for months/years like some do. Reading to them for 20-30 minutes usually does the trick. Use it for training on wound up nights only and her body will adjust pretty quick. We still use melatonin every once in a while but it's in cases so obvious even he will say he thinks he needs one that night cause he's so wired.

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
A couple of book recommendations for people looking for good christmas presents that aren't toys/vidya games.

My kid loves these two series. Press Start! and The Bad Guys. He will actually take his own time and just go off by himself and read these now. He's almost 6 but advanced for his age. I'd say these are good for advanced 5 year old up to 8 year olds. There are something like 10-13 books in each series so buying box sets will save you money in the long run if they end up liking them.

This one is video game based, people playing video games and follows the adventures/contest but the narration is inside the video game.

The Bad Guys books are pretty funny. Typically bad characters trying their hardest to become heros.

• 1Like