Parent Thread

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We have a 5 and 8 year old and a couple friends with toddlers, under 2 but walking and getting into everything. Every party or gathering we go to with them I have the same feelings, glad I am way past that stage. Infants are fine, it's when those fuckers start moving is when it gets annoying :)

Brad2770

Ages four to ten were my favorite. I miss them. But my kid has his permit now. I can’t believe he is that age now. He drives me. Crazy!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
See, and for me that was one of my favorite times. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I get how some people could feel that way and infants have a few endearing qualities, but I just cannot feel nostalgic about months of sleep deprivation, inescapable screaming, and getting barfed on regularly.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Dodged a bullet today boys. My 14 year old daughter had been asking about how beer tastes. I was like "fuck if I say no she will just get it elsewhere". So I told her I would buy one of the zero alcohol beers for her to try. Then I bought Becks zero. It was the heaviest zero alcohol I could find. Let her try it and she was like "ewww". I nodded knowingly and said yeah, beer is an acquired taste and most women don't like the taste. She walked away saying she would never drink beer again.

Kevin Dillon Win GIF

or she just 5d chess'd your ass

• 1Worf

Captain Suave

Dodged a bullet today boys. My 14 year old daughter had been asking about how beer tastes... Let her try it and she was like "ewww".

I gave my kids a taste of a the strongest IPA I could find when they were 5. Ditto with wines and a tannin-laden cheap cabernet. If they ever ask about mixed drinks or liquor I'll give them straight gin. Problem solved.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I get how some people could feel that way and infants have a few endearing qualities, but I just cannot feel nostalgic about months of sleep deprivation, inescapable screaming, and getting barfed on regularly.

I lucked out, my kids for slept through the night after a month except for a single feeding, none of them were pukers and all were pretty chill babies.

Id give anything to rock one of them to sleep these days, now at 18, 15 and almost 11, those days are forever gone. :(

Captain Suave

I lucked out, my kids for slept through the night after a month
My daughter had really bad acid reflux and needed to be completely vertical, which meant I strapped her into a carrier sitting in a chair while she screamed in my face from esophogeal burns and neither of us slept for more than 45 minutes at a time for four months. (Yes, she was medicated, no it didn't help much. She's fine now; her throat valves matured and it went away overnight.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes you said to tag you if anyone else had an opinion about your daughter playing WoW classic or live:

I think you should seriously consider FFXIV, and I say this as someone who loves WoW. The social scene is a lot more vibrant, the people are much friendlier and less toxic, and there's so much more to do besides leveling. When you go into town there are just people hanging out, dancing, bards playing music, etc.

If a woman's opinion means anything my wife would choose FFXIV over WoW at this point, and shes even more hardcore in wow than I was (Grinded to rank 12 in Vanilla, raided through WoTLK, then consistently posted 90+% parse as a rogue in Classic raiding).

If you want her and her friends to get into it, I think their in-game experiences and the people they meet will be a much bigger influence than content.

• 1Like

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Thanks. I haven't gamed in about 5 years. Part of my reasoning for WOW is a> it's easy to learn and b> I know it like the back of my hand and can guide her over the early learning curve. I am less concerned about whether the game play is inferior to FFIV. This is more about finding a substitute for some social media time that I have less control over. The end objective isn't raiding or leveling but just doing something I can keep an eye on and she can do at her own pace. School is back in a month so at that point it might be an hour or two a day max.
I'll try to summarize my thoughts and I won't bother you again after this. I promise. The reason several people are pushing FFXIV over WoW is a combination of factors. I'm not going to compare systems, or classes, or the story, or the gameplay. I'm going to compare what they are as an MMO, and most importantly, how the result of these systems have shaped the playerbase.

The WoW you know doesn't exist anymore. In fact, it's barely an MMO. It's basically a pretty graphical chatroom where everyone is in a rat race to hit the level cap so "the real game starts." You can run from quest hub to quest hub, grabbing "fetch 10 bear asses" quests over an over, or you can stand in town and queue bg's or dungeons for experience. Or you can do both at the same time if you're DPS. Nobody goes to town unless they need to sell/buy, use the bank, or access the portal hub. Nobody stops to talk to a stranger, or throw a party, or even just to chat. Everyone in WoW is conditioned to get more levels, more rep, and more gold so they can make bigger numbers when they press buttons. Nearly every social interaction that doesn't push someone towards those goals is pruned out of their daily gameplay.

I don't know your daughter, but I'm willing to bet the average teenage girl would be bored to tears if you sat them down in front of today's WoW. The hardest thing to overcome would be the loneliness. Loneliness; in an MMO. Nobody needs you. Everyone can solo everything. The queues will match you up with people and put you back where you were when you're done. You'll probably never see them again. If you screw up in a dungeon they might tell you to go die in a cancer fire. She won't make any friends, or develop any personal connection in the game (or to the game), and she'll probably quit.

This is where FFXIV is different. The end doesn't matter. The fun is in the journey. The game is designed for you to have fun at your own pace, AND you can switch tracks and advance in something else for a time. When you switch back you'll be right where you left off. I leveled a lancer to 20, then tried archer. Then I tried fisherman, then arcanist, then I switched back to lancer at level 20 and went to do my class quests as if I had never left. Then I went to the gold saucer, and in 3 weeks since I started playing I'm only a level 35 dragoon with over 400k MGP because I like playing all the minigames (especially Triple Triad Tournaments.)

Despite the flaws the game has, this has created a very laid back and welcoming community. Cities feel alive. Few people are in a hurry to get somewhere. My first time in Limsa Lominsa I couldn't understand the map. I asked for help. A level 80 walked me to where I needed to go, gave me 10k gil and some stat food and said, "I hope you have a great experience!" Another time there was a guy in a chocobo suit jumping up and down, asking Sprouts (new players) to come jump with him. I did, and he gave us all 2 dyes and some boots for the fashion contest at the Gold Saucer, so we could win 80k MGP. (Most big minigame rewards are 5k, so the weekly grand prize for the fashion contest is a huge amount). Also, FFXIV is about a 65/35 split of men and women. RP servers are almost 50/50.

TL;DR The execution of each games' systems has crafted the behaviors of their playerbase; WoW is pretty much a single player game where people eschew social interaction in an MMO because it interferes with hitting the level cap and starting on the "relevant" content. FFXIV players don't feel rushed, so they take the time to stop and smell the roses (as well as help new players).

• 2Like

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, different end of the age spectrum.

My newest grandkid is 7 months old and I know he is going to watch some educational tv. He already watches a little. Is there anything worth a shit? Elmo is so bad I'm not even sure what to say. Right now in the morning when it's that time I usually just YouTube a late 70s sesame street and they are ok. They aren't good resolution but at least they are educational and entertaining. He doesn't really watch but for those periods when he looks at the screen I don't want it to be all color and flash.

Before the usual follow up. Yes we read books throughout the day. Yes, I spend a lot of time outside with him. I watch him with my wife 2 times a week roughly when the parents are working. It's the best of times. I strongly recommend it. It'll force you off your ass.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

My newest grandkid is 7 months old and I know he is going to watch some educational tv. He already watches a little. Is there anything worth a shit? Elmo is so bad I'm not even sure what to say. Right now in the morning when it's that time I usually just YouTube a late 70s sesame street and they are ok. They aren't good resolution but at least they are educational and entertaining. He doesn't really watch but for those periods when he looks at the screen I don't want it to be all color and flash.

Before the usual follow up. Yes we read books throughout the day. Yes, I spend a lot of time outside with him. I watch him with my wife 2 times a week roughly when the parents are working. It's the best of times. I strongly recommend it. It'll force you off your ass.

cocomelon on netflix

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Dave and Ava isn’t bad.

• 1Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dave and Ava isn’t bad.
Bluey on Disney+ or just DVR'd from the regular Disney channel is the favorite of my wife and I for our kids. The characters don't talk in the infuriating way they do in shows like PJ Masks, Puppy Dog Pals....fucking almost everything else. Its also pretty funny for adults as well because there are a lot of things that are true to life. The episodes are 10 minutes or less so if you want to pop one on while eating breakfast before going out it isn't much of a time commitment.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Bluey on Disney+ or just DVR'd from the regular Disney channel is the favorite of my wife and I for our kids. The characters don't talk in the infuriating way they do in shows like PJ Masks, Puppy Dog Pals....fucking almost everything else. Its also pretty funny for adults as well because there are a lot of things that are true to life. The episodes are 10 minutes or less so if you want to pop one on while eating breakfast before going out it isn't much of a time commitment.
We’ve watched a ton of kids shows now, Dave and Ava was just the only one I could think of for a 7 mo old. Didn’t see Bluey. He’s kind of moved on to more complex shows now, like the trollhunter trilogy. He was hooked on PJ masks for a couple years, then paw patrol. Man I hated those intro songs, and didn’t really like the shows in general. He was into beyblades for a while and that was god damn ridiculous. This one kid Aiger didn’t talk...he screamed. We would joke about it, like I’d ask if he wanted eggs and a pop tart for breakfast but I’d scream it in Aigers ridiculous anime voice.

Our kid didn’t watch any tv/shows until he was almost two, so I don’t really know much about stuff you’d watch before that. A 7 month old would probably only care about songs/shorts, there’s no way they’d be able to follow any kind of story.

Once he was old enough my favorite ones were Blaze & the Monster Machines and Story Bots cause they actually taught useful stuff. There were various times where we’d be doing things like pushing something and he’d say something like “come on dad, we just have to overcome the inertia with more force!” Or he’d tell someone how a combustion engine works or how sound waves bounce around and blow another parents mind.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most of the stuff on PBS Kids is good, they have an app if you don't have a TV for the grandkid to watch.

My kids are 8 and 6 and while some stuff like Daniel Tiger is probably too "little" for them these days, they still watch Odd Squad and some newer shows I've never heard of.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I'll second bluey. That show is awesome and my kids love it.

My kids watch a lot of kids learning tube on YouTube kids. It's probably better for older kids but a 7 month old would probably like the songs.

Blippi is another one they watch a lot of too.

• 1Like

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'll second bluey. That show is awesome and my kids love it.

My kids watch a lot of kids learning tube on YouTube kids. It's probably better for older kids but a 7 month old would probably like the songs.

Blippi is another one they watch a lot of too.

I can sing an absurd amount of kids learning tube songs from memory. The funny thing is after its been on all night and in the morning we're in to the deeeeep cuts and the song on is the 63 islands of Singapore or some shit.

He's like the guy that wrote all the books in the abandoned house in Fight Club.

The songs from the Kids TV 123 guy are way better and probably ok for a 7 month old.

Jfc what the fuck happened to me?