Parent Thread

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I can sing an absurd amount of kids learning tube songs from memory. The funny thing is after its been on all night and in the morning we're in to the deeeeep cuts and the song on is the 63 islands of Singapore or some shit.

He's like the guy that wrote all the books in the abandoned house in Fight Club.

The songs from the Kids TV 123 guy are way better and probably ok for a 7 month old.

Jfc what the fuck happened to me?
Kids learning tube songs stick with you. I find myself singing them at work.

Another channel my daughter is really into is Nat and Essie, just two chicks that does unboxing of toys. For some reason she loves those videos.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Kids will never stop loving unboxing videos. My 8 year old still wants to spend all her money on stupid shit she can just open and never play with.

• 1Like

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
My 4-year-old broke my tv, it worked fine this morning but when I went to switch it on tonight it's got an impact mark in the bottom left of the screen and about 30% of the screen has gone black, awesome stuff. I'm guessing it's the impact of a toy as I'm always telling him off for throwing, but neither of us witnessed said incident so can't say with certainty. I was wanting a new guitar amp with my pocket money*, but I guess I'm buying a tv instead.

*not really pocket money but me and the wife both have a discretionary spend account, also known as the hookers and blow account, for spending on any old shit with no recriminations.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
I always warn my kids when they throw stuff. If they wreck the tv I’m not buying another. I don’t watch tv so they’ll suffer their own destruction.

I kind of wish they would break it. If it were up to me they wouldn’t watch tv at all but we compromise. They only watch it on non school nights.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My 4-year-old broke my tv, it worked fine this morning but when I went to switch it on tonight it's got an impact mark in the bottom left of the screen and about 30% of the screen has gone black, awesome stuff. I'm guessing it's the impact of a toy as I'm always telling him off for throwing, but neither of us witnessed said incident so can't say with certainty. I was wanting a new guitar amp with my pocket money*, but I guess I'm buying a tv instead.

*not really pocket money but me and the wife both have a discretionary spend account, also known as the hookers and blow account, for spending on any old shit with no recriminations.
childproof
c7c465b9716bdd3ab83e5c2f086f3d39.png

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Three of five kids in college now. Thank God for scholarships. Hard to have them move out and be independent, but also good. House feels pretty big right now.

• 1Trump

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Three of five kids in college now. Thank God for scholarships. Hard to have them move out and be independent, but also good. House feels pretty big right now.
I wish. My 4yo is messing up my sleep patters atm, night terrors. FML.

Time to start that christian swinger/dating home parties circle? This here Christian dating site probably has some candidates. Vanessa Vanessa ?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I wish. My 4yo is messing up my sleep patters atm, night terrors. FML.

Time to start that christian swinger/dating home parties circle? This here Christian dating site probably has some candidates. Vanessa Vanessa ?
No. Just no. Never date down. And by down I mean clown world Vanessa. Unless you like dudes of course. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
So the wife and myself are both non-religious, my wife can not stand church period but my soon to be 6 year old has started to ask about where our church is, and seems interested in attending services. I had planned to take her through some religious classes when she was a little older (was thinking 8), I guess my question is I haven't been in a church except for a funeral for 20+ years, will they let me keep the kid instead of sending her to the kids portion, and how do I avoid the sjw churches? I figured I'd take her to some services at the local mosque, synagogue, and christian church and see if that gets the urge out of her lol. Worst case she rebels by being a bible thumper

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Ok, different end of the age spectrum.

My newest grandkid is 7 months old and I know he is going to watch some educational tv. He already watches a little. Is there anything worth a shit? Elmo is so bad I'm not even sure what to say. Right now in the morning when it's that time I usually just YouTube a late 70s sesame street and they are ok. They aren't good resolution but at least they are educational and entertaining. He doesn't really watch but for those periods when he looks at the screen I don't want it to be all color and flash.

Before the usual follow up. Yes we read books throughout the day. Yes, I spend a lot of time outside with him. I watch him with my wife 2 times a week roughly when the parents are working. It's the best of times. I strongly recommend it. It'll force you off your ass.
Veggie tales on rerun from age 4/
-6(when they can read). At which point they should only be reading books and no tv.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So the wife and myself are both non-religious, my wife can not stand church period but my soon to be 6 year old has started to ask about where our church is, and seems interested in attending services. I had planned to take her through some religious classes when she was a little older (was thinking 8), I guess my question is I haven't been in a church except for a funeral for 20+ years, will they let me keep the kid instead of sending her to the kids portion, and how do I avoid the sjw churches? I figured I'd take her to some services at the local mosque, synagogue, and christian church and see if that gets the urge out of her lol. Worst case she rebels by being a bible thumper
Let her explore it. Yes avoid SJW churches. The most obvious ones are blatant about it on their website/social media. They’re still the minority overall as far as churches go but any of those denominations like Unitarian Universalist and shit. Presbyterian is good as long as it’s not A PC USA church, PCE and a few other pres churches still condemn gay marriage, abortion etc as they should.

If you wanna do something a little more light with less tradition check out the current trending local non denominational church. They usually preach heavy on the grace aspect of the gospel aimed at a demographic of person who walked into church for the first time.

Worst case she becomes a Bible thumper and picks up Christian values like respecting her parents, not stealing, not being promiscuous, etc…

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
You can always put her up for adoption.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

This seems like an odd exercise for non-religious parents. Six year olds aren't really equipped to evaluate religious messaging. This is why early childhood indoctrination is the primary mechanism for propagating religions. If she's asking questions about "Where is our church?" it's almost certainly coming from peers or outside adults. Why is the answer not, "We don't have one", especially as that's the truth?

• 1Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
This seems like an odd exercise for non-religious parents. Six year olds aren't really equipped to evaluate religious messaging. This is why early childhood indoctrination is the primary mechanism for propagating religions. If she's asking questions about "Where is our church?" it's almost certainly coming from peers or outside adults. Why is the answer not, "We don't have one", especially as that's the truth?
My goal is not to push atheism on her anymore than most parents just kind of default to their religion. It is absolutely coming from her new schoolmates, but she will also be a bit of an odd fish if she has no real concept of this stuff. I figure if I am there to give her a balanced view and make sure she realizes this is what the people at the church believe and not what they know, what is the harm. If she finds religion, also what is the harm, it would be her choice.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
My goal is not to push atheism on her anymore than most parents just kind of default to their religion. It is absolutely coming from her new schoolmates, but she will also be a bit of an odd fish if she has no real concept of this stuff. I figure if I am there to give her a balanced view and make sure she realizes this is what the people at the church believe and not what they know, what is the harm. If she finds religion, also what is the harm, it would be her choice.

6 year olds are not going to get anything out of Sunday School except the most basic concepts. They will know the names Jesus, God, and then some of the main stories in the bible like Noah and Moses. I would recommend you find a 'teaching church' around your area that uses either the LifeChurch or Northpoint Church teachings as those are going to be very good for teaching kids things like the Golden Rule, the 10 Commandments, the Good Samaritan, etc.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Ok, different end of the age spectrum.

My newest grandkid is 7 months old and I know he is going to watch some educational tv. He already watches a little. Is there anything worth a shit? Elmo is so bad I'm not even sure what to say. Right now in the morning when it's that time I usually just YouTube a late 70s sesame street and they are ok. They aren't good resolution but at least they are educational and entertaining. He doesn't really watch but for those periods when he looks at the screen I don't want it to be all color and flash.

Before the usual follow up. Yes we read books throughout the day. Yes, I spend a lot of time outside with him. I watch him with my wife 2 times a week roughly when the parents are working. It's the best of times. I strongly recommend it. It'll force you off your ass.

Try Preschool Prep on Youtube. They have different introduction videos (named "Introducing the xxx) on colors, shapes, vowels, letters, phonics, and sight words. My kids loved them and it really helped teach them things. Musical ones include the aforementioned Cocomelon (highest grossing channel on YouTube now) and Bob the Train.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
My goal is not to push atheism on her anymore than most parents just kind of default to their religion.

You can't "push atheism" on a child in the same sense that you can push a religion. It's the default mental state of everyone. No one derives an established religious practice absent learning it from their community.

I have no objection to people converting into religions if done honestly; I just don't think a young elementary-age child can truly understand what that means beyond miming participation and repeating until it sticks.

Last edited:
  • 1Like