Parent Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
:p I meant in the context of does she need to do it for the purpose of doing homework, which is to drill into your brain the stuff you don't learn from reading or in class.

Not just go to her and be like "Hey kid, do you need to do this homework?". More like "Does this homework actually help you or is it stuff you already understand?".

But that question would probably be better to ask her teachers.
My dad didn't care if I did my homework because he basically spent my childhood convincing me I was smarter than every motherfucker on the planet, and I bought it. I already knew the material, probably knew more than the teacher on the subject, why the fuck was I going to do their busywork? Fight the power!

Fast forward a few years when my grades are shit because I don't do any homework, I take my philosophy a step further and drop out and get my GED because I knew better than everyone else and was going to go to college early. Little did I know that colleges have a whole lot of questions for a 17 year old not living at home who dropped out and is applying to their school. So I joined the Navy and helped kill brown people for a while, then got out, then fucked around for a while, and now I'm 32 and have 2 years left to finish my degree.

I was a hard headed little fucker who made a lot of bad decisions, but my point is that i didn't have a support system. Someone has to be the parent, someone has to impress upon you the importance of sucking it up and doing the damn busywork. "Do you need to do this?" is an enabling question, that is just as bad as "lording" over her and riding her ass 24/7 like Cathan is already doing. Cathan has his heart in the right place, he is trying to be the responsible one and make sure she doesn't end up making a bunch of mistakes and taking her life in an irreversible direction. He sure the fuck should not be presenting homework, school, or accomplishment in general as if it is optional.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Have you tried sitting down with her and talking to her like a person, not like 'that fucking kid' and asked her what is going on? I'm no professoinal, but it sounds like she is a normal dumb ass teenager who is stubborn as fuck and is pushing back against the way you guys are dealing with her, causing her to escalate her behavior. I can't imagine she is happy with the status quo either.

Taking her down to see artists at Burbon Street would be a great idea if she was into it, but if she isn't and would rather sleep in, trying to force the issue is just going to cause resentment. You cant forece people to have fun. If that kind of thing happens on a regluar basis the wedge just gets bigger and bigger, and shit gets more extreme until you end up using an airhorn to get her up in the morning.

It honeslty sounds like people are failing to communicate on a basic level and there is no respect. Screaming at someone repeatedly has never been successful in any situation I've ever observed and it certainly dosent engender respect.

It's kind of a shitty situation that you are stuck in and it would be pretty easy to get caught in the middle of some epic battle of wills and end up having problems with both of them.

I'd try showing her some respect, even if she dosent deserve it and see if you can start a dialogue with her that dosent involve screaming or 'winning'.

If that dosent work, get help, although if she isnt receptive to that, it probably wont work either.

Also, kids do homework because they think school is important, not because someone tells them it is. Somehow, I thought it was important and did a good job at it and felt good about it. I dont know why that is, I suppose because I'm a fucking nerd.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
My dad didn't care if I did my homework because he basically spent my childhood convincing me I was smarter than every motherfucker on the planet, and I bought it. I already knew the material, probably knew more than the teacher on the subject, why the fuck was I going to do their busywork? Fight the power!

Fast forward a few years when my grades are shit because I don't do any homework, I take my philosophy a step further and drop out and get my GED because I knew better than everyone else and was going to go to college early. Little did I know that colleges have a whole lot of questions for a 17 year old not living at home who dropped out and is applying to their school. So I joined the Navy and helped kill brown people for a while, then got out, then fucked around for a while, and now I'm 32 and have 2 years left to finish my degree.

I was a hard headed little fucker who made a lot of bad decisions, but my point is that i didn't have a support system. Someone has to be the parent, someone has to impress upon you the importance of sucking it up and doing the damn busywork. "Do you need to do this?" is an enabling question, that is just as bad as "lording" over her and riding her ass 24/7 like Cathan is already doing. Cathan has his heart in the right place, he is trying to be the responsible one and make sure she doesn't end up making a bunch of mistakes and taking her life in an irreversible direction. He sure the fuck should not be presenting homework, school, or accomplishment in general as if it is optional.
I would agree, but again I wasn't saying "do you need to do this?" just so she doesn't have to do it, or because she's smarter than everyone else and is going to drop out of highschool. The point is trying to figure out whether or not she should be in classes that don't give students bullshit busywork that they don't need. While homework works for one kid, who requires having a subject pounded into their brain, it does not help the other kid who retains the knowledge by reading or hearing it during a lecture.

That's the only point I was trying to make with that. I'm not trying to get him to make the girl think she's a genius and can just get her GED and become a physicist (or slayer of brown people for the navy). But if she can benefit from a class with less homework and more focus in other areas, it can only increase her happiness and productivity...and in return, her parents happiness for not having to ride her ass about doing homework that is nothing more than busywork to help out students who can't grasp the subject as well as she can. The "oh I guess I'm just dumb" defense that she rattles off is most likely bullshit she has heard somewhere and said before, and it works...so why not keep saying it?

I just know from personal experience that when I was in school, I was smarter than the kids I was in class with...but I didn't realize it. I never did my homework because I didn't have to, which made me a C student at best (even though I would roll into class and get A's on every single test and quiz). Getting those grades made me feel like I was JUST a C student, and belonged in those classes...even though there were quite a few kids who had trouble reading aloud from a book. Fast forward to end of junior year, and a teacher finally catches on that I'm actually smart, but unable to progress and benefit because I am stuck in classes that cater to kids who have a much harder time grasping the subjects.

I got put in advanced from basic shit and it was like night and day. Lectures were awesome, classroom discussion was great, and people could *gasp* read from a book and form complete sentences without sounding like they had downs. Whatever work would have been homework was gone over in class, and it was just an all around increase in my highschool experience. If I could have done that shit from like grade 7, I might be a fucking lawyer or veterinarian or some shit now. But because I never knew I could actually do that shit, I never cared. And by the time I realized it, it was way too fuckin late because I was so far behind with core classes...and I just didn't have any idea what I wanted to get a college degree in. So after that I went to community college and it was fucking terrible. All the shit I had dealt with before, with idiots who couldn't read and shit came right back in my face. My advanced algebra II class in college was shit I had done in the 8th grade.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Children are a product of their environment. If they spend all day in horrible public schools surrounded by idiots then come home and spend all night looking at depraved crap online and watching reality TV of course they are going to be pieces of shit.

Invest in your child. Get her the hell away from public schools, get her a cute male postdoc tutor that actually knows how to teach, enroll her in something like orchestra or debate, promise to teach her how to use a gun and drive when she has demonstrated she is a responsible person. You don't have to be a helicopter parent, but know that free public education/entertainment produces failures by design.

It is hard and costs money, but producing successful offspring hasn't been easy for billions of years.
Neither of these are the issue in Cathan's case. In fact, it's the opposite.

I'm not a father. So my opinion doesn't hold much water, but I'd like to echo a couple sentiments above about treating the kid like an adult. Kids appreciate that. It shows a level of respect that they will no doubt appreciate because all kids want to be "grown up". Screaming and playing the power game won't do much. Anecdotal evidence away, my parents became very hard on my older sister when she fucked up. And my sister pushed further and further away to the point where she was failing consistently and getting in trouble with the law. I'm absolutely floored that my parents didn't go harder on me because of her, but they didn't. My parents respected my time and space very rarely would get upset to the point of yelling at me. I don't remember a single time when my parents cursed at me. I recall my dad calling me a smartass once and it really hit hard because he never talked to me like that. I was a straight A student and was involved in mad extra curricular activities. Getting into college wasn't a problem for me at all. I think a lot of credit goes to my parents for that.

As an aside, I think private schools are overrated. I went to public school and, if I ever have children, would want them to do the same thing. So many friends that went to private school have this deep resentment of the system that I wouldn't want my child to have.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
It really sounds to me like you're making the mistake of doing the same thing repeatedly, expecting different results.

A LOT of people go through moody apathy during the early to mid teen age years. I know I did. I even dropped out of school. 5 years later got a GED, tried college for a semester or two, wasn't feeling it, dropped out of that. Worked at a liquor store for half a decade, got married, had kids, took care of my mother for a few years until she passed away, it wasn't till I was 28/29 before I went back to school. Kids are 7 and 9 years old and shit and I'm retaking basic high school algebra and trigonometry courses and whatnot. But you know what? I chose to do it in my own time and because I got the leeway to do that, I'm doing very well, I'm passionate about my education and my kids aren't hypernegative to school and learning either.

Sometimes it take time. I see you say in the first post that "We tell her we can't support her forever". That may be. But she's 14. Not 18, not 20. Not 24. Not 30. Not 40. You're talking to her as if she's like 24 and living in your basement pissing in bottles. You should take into account the fact that as people's life expectancy increases, the age at which mental development is fully achieved will be more and more delayed. 14 years old is like one of the moodiest points, awkward too, especially for girls. Try to see the world from her point of view, her perspective, I really get the vibe from the original post that you haven't done this, like at all. Its super necessary, I think.

I mean at some point you have to realize things have gotten out of control. That point, for me, would be when the wife is floating the idea of using an air horn to get my kid out of bed on Saturday morning. Let her sleep in. When I was a kid I never slept in (lol adhd up at 5 am). But almost all my friends did. They regularly slept till 10 and 11 on weekends and summer days. No one ever thought it was abnormal. Some kids actually physically REQUIRE more sleep during the teen age years to accomodate their physical and mental/emotional growth, since most growth and repair mechanisms of the body are conducted during resting phases.

Just because a kid is having problems today, or going through a period of difficulty, doesn't mean you should be brow beating them and berating them and trying to force them out of it. And it doesn't mean they won't figure things out by 18 or 20 or so. You're making things worse. This may sound crazy but try....just leaving her alone. Forget the chores. Who cares? Its fucking trash or dishes. Is it really worth all the fighting? Family is supposed to be about unconditional love and support. Try being her father, and her friend, not her authority figure all the time. Most of the time I can GUARANTEE YOU when you are lecturing/talking to her she's thinking "I don't have to listen to you, you're not even my real dad". I was adopted at 6 months old and I pulled that shit on my mom and dad in my teens CONSTANTLY anyway during arguments, because I knew it hurt their feelings.

I have two kids. 11 year old daughter going on 12 and a son who will be 9 on Christmas eve. I cut their umbilical cords myself when they were born. I know I would never tell them something like "I can't support you forever" because its not true. I would do anything in my power to assist my childen financially, or in any other way necessary, even if I was 80 and they were 60. That's what family is. My father and mother went out of their way to help me, my wife, our children, and my sister, her husband and their children, multiple times over the past decade since we became "adults" when times were hard. Like through 2008/2009 at the height of the economic collapse while my parents 401k was being massacred and my sister and her husband and their 4 kids all moved into my parent's house for over a year because my brother in law had lost his job and they had to move back here from Alabama.

Maybe I"m old fashioned because, despite being adopted, my family has, until the past 4-5 years where its been whittled down by age and death, been very solid. Few divorces, little to no single parents (none whatsoever of either in my immediate family, both sets of grandparents were married for over 50 years before they passed and my mother and father were together for 40 plus years before my mom died this past march) but the idea of abandoning my kid is anathema to me, personally. Family is all you've got in this world, when it comes down to it, and family isn't always defined exclusively by blood.

I know that if my parents had said that they weren't going to help me and stand by me while I figured out how to be an adult, I'd be about a 1000x more dysfunctional than I am now, and yes it took me a long time to go back to school after dropping out in my teens, but I just achieved an associates in the sciences with a 3.8 GPA and am pursuing two degrees with three majors (chem/bio/ant) and a minor (mandarin) now with probably two and a half/three more years to go to finish it (140 credit hours required for a triple major blah).

You really need to decide: Are you the girl's father, or her step father? Do you love her? Or do you see her as an obstacle to your happiness. If she's an obstacle, you probably shouldn't even be in that home. Get out of the way and let mom find a dad who will care, cause you're not helping. If you're her father, then you accept her for who she is. You love and support her and you want to talk to her and help her any way you can but you do not want to brow beat her into submission and into becoming the person you want her to be. That's not love. Someone in your life might have told you that's love, but they were wrong.

I know if I was 14 and my real dad barely had any hand in raising me and my step father was a domineering authority figure to me, I"d take a lot of long showers and sleep in on weekends as well, and probably raise hell at school, just because. Its a vicious circle. She does something wrong, you yell at her, she becomes more rebellious and apathetic, causing more havoc, causing you to respond; wash rinse repeat as unnecessary. You're creating the type of rut here which will destroy her, all because you can't just leave her be. In a way, she's striving for negative attention, and you're giving it to her. Stop giving it to her, and give her the leeway to define her own existence for awhile, see if you all can't come out of the experience with a bit more respect for one another's point of view at the end of all this. Remember, family is a multiple path intersection, not a one way street.

Parenting is a thankless job. If you had to fill out paperwork to become a parent, one of the first paragraphs you would have to annotate is the one stipulating that parenting is thankless, that your kids may never once in their lives come to appreciate you for what you've done for them, and if they do it'll be when they're parents in their mid 30s or 40s and you're on your deathbed. You have to just go ahead and accept that right now if you're going to be a dad to anyone.

Xasten_sl

shitlord
Just as an aside, you mentioned she has difficulty getting up in the morning. Have you considered that she might have developed a sleeping disorder?

In my early twenties it became progressively harder for me to get up in the morning despite 8, 10, or even 14 hours of sleep. I had a full sleep study done, and it turns out acid reflux woke me up every 20 minutes disrupting my REM cycle just long enough to reset it preventing me from experiencing the later stages of sleep. The study also showed me a few other problems with my ability to actually go to sleep.

Having been treated worked wonders on my motivation and general ability to go about life. It's worth exploring. Just ask her how she feels when she wakes up. If she says it feels like a car hit her, or if her throat hurts (acid problems), you might want to look into it.

mizovax_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_2377.jpg

My one year old, Audrey.

rrr_img_2378.jpg

My almost 3 year old, Eric.

rrr_img_2377.jpg

rrr_img_2378.jpg

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I've heard some pretty damn good advice here. Cathan, you are a shitty role-model and the mother is a shitty mother. Any mother that uses a bull-horn to make a point hasn't learned parenting very well. That sounds harsh but that's exactly what the therapist will tell you in a non-abrasive manner. Everything in that household revolves around chores, rules, how well you two provide for her, and what a fuck-up she is. Instead of spending hard-earned money on an expensive school, why dont you provide 'quality' time without the quotations? Instead of wanting to take her to the french quarter, actually take her there. You mention helping her out by making sure she has everything she needs for homework. Well, do either of you actually check her work at the end of the day? Have you talked to teachers and had them send home a checklist of homework every day for her? Why aren't the two of you checking up on her? Some of this just seems like the obvious first steps.

You seem like you are parenting out of the HardAss Book of Teaching but I dont know how that is supposed to fix anything. I know you havent been married long and the mother should know her a lot better than you let on. Don't be surprised if the therapy begins to focus on the parent models. Don't cover the bases beforehand, let the professional do what you are paying him/her to do.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Lots of good suggestions. Being non-reactive is a key one I overlooked. It's normal to get upset and frustrated at a teenager, but screaming at them like your wife does is really bad. You should have rules and consequences laid out, and if she breaks a rule, give her the consequence dispassionately.

Another key thing is the girl is not going to change overnight. You don't "try" something new and expect her to do her homework from there on out. The changes should be independent of any improvement from her. They aren't changes to make her do what you want. They are changes to improve yours and her quality of life. Quality family time isn't conditional on her doing a good job. It's family bonding experience because you love each other, irrespective of what fuckup she's done. Take away her cell phone, ground her, etc, fine. But don't take away bonding time.

Also really like whoever said to always talk to her rationally about why x punishment is being carried out and that you love her.

Definitely go to a counselor regardless. There is nothing to lose and a ton to gain.

Fuck whoever said "maybe she's got a chemical imbalance and depressed." Nothing I hate more than when people take the easy road and want to medicate a developing mind. Good job making them dependent on that shit for life while doing 0 to actually improve the problem.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Famm: You're being a douche. The spirit of the forum is nondouchery.
Do you read the shit you write?

If the stories you tell us about your real life even have a grain of truth in them, then you are the douche. I know this is GUS and we expected to not troll but I feel like your posts are either one giant troll or you are just an idiot. I think YOU need to see a Therapist and work out some of your "Daddy Issues!" Clearly your past is effecting your ability to parent.

You remind me of that Chris Rock bit, where he talks about people that brag saying "I take care of my kids" to which Rock replies "YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR KIDS!"

Growing up my parents always told me I was lucky to have a Mommy and Daddy that were present and that loved me. I get it, they both had parents bail on them BUT I will never pull that bullshit on my kids. Why the fuck are my kids lucky that I am doing my job? I chose to have them, it is not their fault they were the fastest swimmers in their load. Even though she is not your biological kid, you chose her mom and thus you chose her. You are lucky to have her in your life, not the other way around.

Cathan - I highly advise you seek help immediately, it will give you some perspective that you are clearly missing.

Ilum_sl

shitlord
Fuck whoever said "maybe she's got a chemical imbalance and depressed." Nothing I hate more than when people take the easy road and want to medicate a developing mind. Good job making them dependent on that shit for life while doing 0 to actually improve the problem.
I don't think you understood what I was saying Dabamf; I didn't mean that she should be given the stuff as a solution but as an aid.
Depression (chronic or temporary) is very real thing and is partially caused by missing chemicals in the brain.
The whole 'just make the girl be better' approach is only part of the solution. This girl is not going to change for shit if she doesn't get some serious help.
Part of that help could be medication, although I agree that it should be handled by a professional, completely ignoring the option is just stupid.

So the TL;DR is: get some professional help to get this kid back on track, depression is a bitch.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
The only thing that would help Cathan's stepdaughter would be for Child Protective Services to remove her from the household where a creepy fuck is wondering if it's a good idea to start spanking a 14 year old girl, while spending too much time thinking about her in the shower and waking her up with an airhorn.

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Baby girl born yesterday. All healthy and happy with all her parts in order. Woot! She was due on 12/12/12, but they bumped us to 12/14. She was born at 12:12pm...gg.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Baby girl born yesterday. All healthy and happy with all her parts in order. Woot! She was due on 12/12/12, but they bumped us to 12/14. She was born at 12:12pm...gg.
Congrats! And good luck in 14 years, try not to follow Cathan's example and you should be fine.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So I gave my 3.5 year old a gift a little bit early.

The transition to the toddler bed has been rough for him. So in order to encourage him to sleep in his own bed I got him a Lightning McQueen Bed.
rrr_img_3091.jpg

I set it all up and put Car's Decals on the walls, I then got the video camera out and called out for him to come to his room. The reaction I got was priceless, I will admit I teared up a bit. Funny how much your kid's emotions can effect you.

rrr_img_3091.jpg

rrr_img_3091.jpg

Madikus

Knows nothing.
So I gave my 3.5 year old a gift a little bit early.

The transition to the toddler bed has been rough for him. So in order to encourage him to sleep in his own bed I got him a Lightning McQueen Bed.
rrr_img_3091.jpg

I set it all up and put Car's Decals on the walls, I then got the video camera out and called out for him to come to his room. The reaction I got was priceless, I will admit I teared up a bit. Funny how much your kid's emotions can effect you.

rrr_img_3091.jpg

rrr_img_3091.jpg