Parks and Recreation

Haus

<Silver Donator>
It wasn't until I started listening to the Dax Shepard podcast that I really looked into the improv groups around the country, but it's fucking amazing how many people came out of Second City and the Groundlings. Like, people that aren't even comedians. And then you look at movies and stuff like SNL and all these people know each other from those groups. You could probably attribute like 20% of everything you watch to those groups (and honestly some of the best comedies, like this, Veep, Curb/Seinfeld, 30 Rock, etc).

Yeah, and the fact that you see the people who were in The League in.. well.. everything. I've counted at least three of them in bit parts in Parks and Rec so far. All from that same circle of comedy groups... Incestuous.. and Funny.

iannis

Musty Nester
Kathy Griffith was at the wildlings for something like fifteen years.

Maybe she makes a little more sense now, the tragedy that is her.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah when this show first came out I just thought it was some Office rip-off and never watched it. Years later and prolly 3 or 4 different rewatchings of it all, I have to say I think if I had to pick between the two i'd take Parks and Rec everytime. One of my fav shows of all time.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Same deal there. Paul Scheer, Nick Kroll, and Jason Mantzoukas were all in UCB, which was founded by a bunch of former Second City people; Amy Poehler, Matt Walsh (Veep), Ian Roberts, and another guy who wasn't in Second City.

Jason Mantzoukas and D'Arcy Carden (Janet) were both on The Good Place together. Kirsten Bell is married to Dax Shepard (Groundlings), and the two of them are IRL couples friends with Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen. Maya Rudolph ended up with a recurring role and she's also a Groundling. Adam Scott who's been on a shit ton of common stuff also worked with Andrea Savage (Groundlings) on the pilot for Party Down. Andrea Savage has had Mantzoukas on her show I'm Sorry as a main character, she was also on The League and Veep (Laura Montez).

Honestly, you start looking at the connections and it's like this incestuous thing where these improv groups just write all their friends into everything.

Will Ferrell, Will Forte, Chris Kattan, Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig. They were all Groundlings around the same time. Same thing happens with Second City. And it goes back into the 60's and 70's. Kind of blew my mind once you start connecting the dots.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
After I saw that gif I searched for that blooper reel. So good.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It wasn't until I started listening to the Dax Shepard podcast that I really looked into the improv groups around the country, but it's fucking amazing how many people came out of Second City and the Groundlings. Like, people that aren't even comedians. And then you look at movies and stuff like SNL and all these people know each other from those groups. You could probably attribute like 20% of everything you watch to those groups (and honestly some of the best comedies, like this, Veep, Curb/Seinfeld, 30 Rock, etc).

Ahh, slowly wearing down a crayon kind of shit. They're the worst.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Same deal there. Paul Scheer, Nick Kroll, and Jason Mantzoukas were all in UCB...
Upright Citizens Brigade was the shit. Did any of you watch the show? It was on Comedy Central around the same time EQ first came out. 3 seasons long. That show ruled. And that's where Amy Pohler started also.

I still call my one friend Captain Assho-ley because of it.

The show was 30 episodes total, and you can watch 11 of them on Comedy Central's website. A shame they don't have all 30.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yeah, the show got a lot better. It -did- start off as an office rip off. S1 is pretty bad.

Once they figured out that it was bad and decided to stop trying to be the office the show got an awful lot better.

Probably the best thing Audrey Plaza will do.

The Rob Lowe seasons were primo.
@B-Biscuit and I are working our way through this for the first time. On Season 5 now. We started watching it because it seemed like a good follow-up to The Office. I agree tho that it got a lot better when it stopped trying to be like The Office.
The show creator, Michael Shur, got started making fun of baseball announcing on a blog. He would pepper in really obscure references in the show. After this he went on to make The Good Place. Check that one out after you finish with Parks and Rec!

Parks and Rec had another baseball-themed Easter egg
Yeah when this show first came out I just thought it was some Office rip-off and never watched it. Years later and prolly 3 or 4 different rewatchings of it all, I have to say I think if I had to pick between the two i'd take Parks and Rec everytime. One of my fav shows of all time.

Show was made by the same guy/people that adapted The Office, thus the similarities before finding their stride.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Special Episode aired last night. Of course given the times it had to be a "web-call" based episode, so initially I was nervous about it but....honestly, it was enjoyable. This is probably one of my favorite shows ever, and being able to see even a little bit of new content for it meant a lot to me.

And yes, I lost my shit at the end. I'm such a sap for endings.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It was better than expected. I liked the commercials with Jamm and Jean-Ralphio.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Perd bit as well. Jamm was good. Thought Saperstein's sister might show up. They were both funny and irritating as shit.