Password Managers

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'll throw my vote in for LastPass as well. I've been using it for years.

Then of course my LastPass master password.. on a piece of paper.. in a safe....

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
There's a Password Manager thread buried deep in Product Reviews, but I think it might thrive better here.

What's good? Now that I've got three computers for myself and two kids, I'll have to manage all those logins for shit like Steam, Minecraft, Blizzard Launcher, etc.

PC and Android preferred.

Safe-in-cloud

SafeInCloud Password Manager for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac

Super cheap but really powerful.

I wanted a keeper that works with windows and syncs with my phone.

What this does is use google drive or really ANY backup service / location to store an encrypted file of your backed-up passwords and you can automate this process to happen when you change or add ANYTHING to the system. The file is keyed to a password that you choose.

The app can unlock with finger-press but the program on windows uses the key you created.

I loved the price, I think it was like 5 or 10 USD but no subscription price because they don't have a "Service" to speak of, which is nice...I don't need to pay 3-10 USD a month for a shit tier "We back up your shit on OUR servers!" type system when I have access to backing shit up myself.

They have extensions for Chrome and Firefox as far as I know, the "Unlock my app" part for android is buggy though, I feel like this is an android issue and not a Safe-in-cloud issue.

Ultimately, I couldn't recommend this software any higher. It is cheap and effective and the lack of a "remote Server" holding all of your passwords means that you are in more control of who has the keys to your digital life.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Safe-in-cloud

SafeInCloud Password Manager for Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac

Super cheap but really powerful.

I wanted a keeper that works with windows and syncs with my phone.

What this does is use google drive or really ANY backup service / location to store an encrypted file of your backed-up passwords and you can automate this process to happen when you change or add ANYTHING to the system. The file is keyed to a password that you choose.

The app can unlock with finger-press but the program on windows uses the key you created.

I loved the price, I think it was like 5 or 10 USD but no subscription price because they don't have a "Service" to speak of, which is nice...I don't need to pay 3-10 USD a month for a shit tier "We back up your shit on OUR servers!" type system when I have access to backing shit up myself.

They have extensions for Chrome and Firefox as far as I know, the "Unlock my app" part for android is buggy though, I feel like this is an android issue and not a Safe-in-cloud issue.

Ultimately, I couldn't recommend this software any higher. It is cheap and effective and the lack of a "remote Server" holding all of your passwords means that you are in more control of who has the keys to your digital life.
Free Keepass with the free Dropbox version does the exact same thing in terms of syncing with pc and phones.

Nothing against that program, just saying that since it has to use a backup service of your choice, like Dropbox, I don't really know what it is providing above and beyond Keepass for the cost?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I tried lastpass after a coworker mentioned it a while back. It broke tons of my shit irreparably so I had to go back and individually reset the passwords on fifty different accounts. Not really sure what happened or why it did that...

But fuck that shit so I went back to just suing google password manager and the 10 or so passwords I use for various things.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I use Lastpass, and that's what we use at the office as well as it's the only one with very good network/domain integration.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've been using Lastpass for years. It's always worked well for me.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
After the forum "hack" and Nexus mods having a data breech recently, I decided that even my personal password system wasn't quite safe enough anymore so I've decided to switch over to lastpass. I've spent most of the morning and afternoon generating new passwords for dozens of sites and tying everything into one of 3 email addresses. It's a real PITA, but I hope that it will provide a good foundation for the future.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I am not a fan of password managers. I prefer the old school route. An excel spreadsheet with all the info and then I encrypt the spreadsheet with a 256 bit encryption program.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I didn't really think about it at the time, but right around the time of the board going tits up, someone apparently called my bank and tried to pretend they were me for some reason. They denied them access, thankfully, but it caused them to lock down all of my accounts and generate completely new logins and passwords and shit. It also coincided with me trying to buy a new car, so that was nice. Not saying it was related to the hack in any way, but you never know.

One thing they said, which I never thought of, was to make up completely random answers to security questions. Like, if they ask for your grandma's first name, make the answer "bicycle." Yeah, it makes it so that you won't remember it either, and have to look it up in a password manager or such, but no one is ever going to scour your online history and find that kind of answer, right?

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
After the forum "hack" and Nexus mods having a data breech recently, I decided that even my personal password system wasn't quite safe enough anymore so I've decided to switch over to lastpass. I've spent most of the morning and afternoon generating new passwords for dozens of sites and tying everything into one of 3 email addresses. It's a real PITA, but I hope that it will provide a good foundation for the future.
If I just want to tie everything into one email address, my main email address, I guess that's like putting all my eggs in one basket, but is it possible?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If I just want to tie everything into one email address, my main email address, I guess that's like putting all my eggs in one basket, but is it possible?

The reason I'm using 3 is to split them like this:

Protonmail is used for all of my important stuff. Banking, major accounts (bnet, amazon, etc...) and personal communication
Gmail for all my various game accounts that don't fall under the above
Outlook for everything else

This does a couple things for me. Primarily, I won't lose everything if one is compromised. Google and Microsoft are not going to be privy to everything I do via data-mining emails. Shitty accounts for hack-prone sites are kept to outlook, so my login details for that site are not going to be related to my important ones.

For example, my account here used to be tied to my protonmail account. While I didn't share the password here with anything important, it was used for some other sites. So if the "hack" recently was actually a hack and our info was compromised, those login details are on a list now. People don't often consider this, but the reason why so many people get their WoW accounts hacked is because they use the same email and password for third party sites which get hacked often, and then whomever gets that info can just do test logins to various sites to see if it works.

But yeah, before this I had moved everything to be tied into my protonmail email, so it's certainly possible. But it's not really the best practice.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The reason I'm using 3 is to split them like this:

Protonmail is used for all of my important stuff. Banking, major accounts (bnet, amazon, etc...) and personal communication
Gmail for all my various game accounts that don't fall under the above
Outlook for everything else

This does a couple things for me. Primarily, I won't lose everything if one is compromised. Google and Microsoft are not going to be privy to everything I do via data-mining emails. Shitty accounts for hack-prone sites are kept to outlook, so my login details for that site are not going to be related to my important ones.

For example, my account here used to be tied to my protonmail account. While I didn't share the password here with anything important, it was used for some other sites. So if the "hack" recently was actually a hack and our info was compromised, those login details are on a list now. People don't often consider this, but the reason why so many people get their WoW accounts hacked is because they use the same email and password for third party sites which get hacked often, and then whomever gets that info can just do test logins to various sites to see if it works.

But yeah, before this I had moved everything to be tied into my protonmail email, so it's certainly possible. But it's not really the best practice.
Nice. And lastpass app for mobile devices handle logins for apps as well, right?

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Ok, time for a little bump.

Is LastPass still a go to for a password manager? I've been doing the old school remember password or attempting anyways and just doing forgot password for the less used programs. I'm burned out since it seems everything now requires an account now days. I'd also be sharing this with the wife. Any issues with these type of programs? I'm hesitant trusting my passwords to a program.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Ok, time for a little bump.

Is LastPass still a go to for a password manager? I've been doing the old school remember password or attempting anyways and just doing forgot password for the less used programs. I'm burned out since it seems everything now requires an account now days. I'd also be sharing this with the wife. Any issues with these type of programs? I'm hesitant trusting my passwords to a program.

Yes, LastPass is definitely still a go to for password managers.

• 1Like