Path of Exile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'll have to test out Inpulsa with the build, I haven't used it since the latest round of nerfs it received, so I'm probably downplaying the impact of its pops.

Stat cap might be an issue, definitely. Why do you think the neck won't exist? The only required affixes are the stats and life, the other two are "fluff". I just like to fill out my rares with 4 T2 affixes, I find that generally is a good compromise as to what should be reasonable.

I really dislike Timeless Jewels. Empyrian said it's basically like synthesizing last league and I'd have to agree. Way too much bullshit and spreadsheets. Even the official tools can't compensate for it, so you have fucked up build guides confusing players.

You can get an elder Artifice for ~1 ex currently. Mark of the Shaper is 5-15c. For the amount of damage that combination provides, the upfront cost may be expensive to some players, but the benefit/cost is quite good regardless.

I forgot to consider +1 curse and ass mark. I was planning on just putting power charge on crit on my arc but that's a good alternative, thanks. Might still need to do that for power charges on single target, but the curse itself for damage might still be worth it.

How are you calculating damage? I'm taking ball lightning damage per hit * 10 * procs/s, so around 5.5M? 10 hits per ball might be too ideal.

I noticed you have the target full shocked in PoB. How are you achieving that?

Xevy

Log Wizard
Most lightning skills have a % chance to shock, then my chance to shock is modified heavily by the tree. The amount of skills going out it's constantly going to be shocked. Not for full duration, but it still gets shocked nonstop. That's why I don't use Elemental Focus in any of my abilities.

Ball lightning is unfortunately only going to hit like 4-5 times unless you supe up AE size.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Most lightning skills have a % chance to shock, then my chance to shock is modified heavily by the tree. The amount of skills going out it's constantly going to be shocked. Not for full duration, but it still gets shocked nonstop. That's why I don't use Elemental Focus in any of my abilities.

Ball lightning is unfortunately only going to hit like 4-5 times unless you supe up AE size.
Right, but your skill aren't hitting nearly hard enough to get a full 50% shock effectiveness on Shaper targets.

I know it's old, but it's only the source I could find that showed at least *some* math regarding Ball Lightning and hits/cast. The last major change they made the skill postdates this spreadsheet, but those should be effectively neutral.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Right my effectiveness of shock is something like +60%, but there's no slider so I just checked shock, as it will be shocked. So my DPS is lower than what it is, but I already said my DPS on single target is low.

I've seen the ball lightning spreadsheet from the wiki as well. If you check people on poe Ninja using Mjolnir and not using discharge, most are using ball lightning. They all use slower proj but no one has any idea what else to use with it. Ele focus, controlled D, or Added lightning.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Here's me vs Shaper. I had to fucking fight Rigwald so I ate a death there and then ate a death to... something. Otherwise not that hard. Definitely would need Mathil levels of ability to do Uber Elder. I also plow through a T15 map and you can watch Legion do basically nothing to me.

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
I really dislike Timeless Jewels.

I did too until Kith let me comb through his lethal prides and I found an incredible one. The doriyani one I used wasn't bad as the thing it was actually used for was consistent across all jewels. The passives were cool bonus's if they were good but otherwise not a big deal. It's all a bit close to sanctioned scamming though to be buying items with no way to know what they actually do.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Here's me vs Shaper. I had to fucking fight Rigwald so I ate a death there and then ate a death to... something. Otherwise not that hard. Definitely would need Mathil levels of ability to do Uber Elder. I also plow through a T15 map and you can watch Legion do basically nothing to me.

Thanks for the gameplay demonstration.

The clear looked ok, not great. A regular cyclone build would do much better. I think the issue is that your triggering ability is so small that you're killing targets with arc and shock nova before they can be hit with cyclone. So you end up with these kind of dead zone of inconsistent spell procs.

I wonder if switching to something like Spectral Throw would be better.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Regular cyclone doesn't clear better unless you're using some sort of explosion type prolif with Glad explosions or Hemo or Asenath's. The inpulsas makes out of range stuff die much easier that I don't have to worry about. Again it's the single target that's the problem so I may have to spend an extra second on tougher rares which keeps me from full clearing legions.

Obviously pure Cyclone will be better at most stuff, but I already did that and I don't want to continue doing that. This is like my 7th 90ish character this league, I'm just trying stuff to try it. I even have a lvl 89 Witch I completely respecced just to check Timeless jewels.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
That looks similar to a bunch of smite builds I’ve seen from 3.3 and so on. At least the concept of just clearing super fast triggering arc, ball lightning, whatever with mjolnir. ST is always ass in those builds too.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My point about regular cyclone is that it doesn't need to be hitting stuff in a small range to kill stuff in a large range. Inpulsa's might cover that in larger packs, but I did notice some areas where you backtracked for a straggler where a 60-range Cyclone would have killed it first pass.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Rerolled into a cold scourge arrow build, it was fun. Still, even with Mirage Archer, clearing with Scourge Arrow is not as good as cyclone or worb/sb--both the latter are still quite good with TES shenanigans. Cold-SA is still the best bossing build I've played.

I learned quite a bit on currency generation this league. Chaos spamming, on the right base, is insane profit. Alva prophecies or einhar scarabs should be used every map. I'm not sold on delving being worthwhile for currency gains. If it's a monster killing league invest in MF/TS gear to flip--seriously buy every Pariah ring that hits the market to flip later. Check big baller players to see what they're selling for ideas--this is how I realized the value of 30ex boots that I would have otherwise underpriced. Path of Matth was a good find for informative videos on the market and high-end crafting.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know who you said about watching their videos.

Caeden

Rerolled into a cold scourge arrow build, it was fun. Still, even with Mirage Archer, clearing with Scourge Arrow is not as good as cyclone or worb/sb--both the latter are still quite good with TES shenanigans. Cold-SA is still the best bossing build I've played.

I learned quite a bit on currency generation this league. Chaos spamming, on the right base, is insane profit. Alva prophecies or einhar scarabs should be used every map. I'm not sold on delving being worthwhile for currency gains. If it's a monster killing league invest in MF/TS gear to flip--seriously buy every Pariah ring that hits the market to flip later. Check big baller players to see what they're selling for ideas--this is how I realized the value of 30ex boots that I would have otherwise underpriced. Path of Matth was a good find for informative videos on the market and high-end crafting.
Which boots did you make? I’m noticing I underprice items.

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
Which boots did you make? I’m noticing I underprice items.

Shaper two-tone: 35%ms, t3 attack dodge, t3 life, crafted hybrid life, 1 t2 resist, and 1 t3 resist. I would have priced them at maybe 15ex--the base is 5ex. From ~50 chaos spam.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Think i'm gonna try to make a red trail flickerstrike build with my new staff, can always swap skills if it sucks later.

Anyone do 5 emblem carries?

Caeden

I’ve made several attempts the past few days to build a mjolnir dw based on lightning strike. It’s just not happening.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not actually sure you're supposed to use the attack part of mjolner as anything but a trigger. And in lightning strike's case, that seems like a poor trigger.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Lightning strike is pretty rough, but Static strike is actually decent as every strike procs Mjolnir as well.

Some guy did a min/max Mjolnir build that did Uber Elder and all that pretty well, but his gear was close to 75 ex I think. He also didn't dual wield. Just ball lightning cast on crit on his cyclone and arc in his Mjol.

Caeden

I saw a similar build using smite. I was hoping lightning strike would be even better but yeah. Nope.