Path of Exile

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Playing hardcore just doesn't seem worth it to me. I understand the extra thrill it can provide, but it seems the way it forces you to grind to overlevel everything in the name of safety would be less fun than just playing normal and taking the occasional death.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Playing hardcore just doesn't seem worth it to me. I understand the extra thrill it can provide, but it seems the way it forces you to grind to overlevel everything in the name of safety would be less fun than just playing normal and taking the occasional death.
You don't really have to overlevel anything, or at least not by much, and you would do the same in merciless on softcore because the death penalty is quite rough. I guess you could cheese it by getting a level then going to do whatever so you don't lose any xp since you just lvled, but otherwise you wouldn't fight Piety at 52 or whatever the fuck even on softcore. The amount of grinding I do personally on HC is fairly limited to complete the game(well other than dominus cause derpy fight on merc). I generally don't grind anything in normal or maybe like 3-4 sarn/3-4docks runs if I'm somewhat behind or I can get a good notable keystone in the tree before piety/dominus, in cruel I only end up grinding sarn/docks again to make sure I have enough for act3 bosses/progression, in merciless I grind felshrine for a few levels(which is still fast at that point, like 30-40mins worth of grinding or so) and then grind sarn/docks for a bit too. That's about all I need, I do piety at 65-68 or so, which is basically on level, iirc piety is 68. If you have 3k hp and capped resists, piety isn't hard. Not like do whatever the fuck you want easy either, but as long as you play it safe the fight is fairly predictable(other than the stupid bug I had on my summoner, if you get that shit you're fucking dead unless you can facetank her but that's not every build).

The grind comes after, to enter maps. While on softcore you could farm piety for a couple of hours then go straight into maps, you're likely to be grinding into 75+ before you start doing maps on HC just because you don't want to roll shit maps and rolling hard maps is risky as fuck unless you have a solid amount of health. But again, you don't really want to die on softcore so it'd make sense to do the same and a lot of people do.

An interesting thing I noticed though from playing Domination for a bit is how for this season, they decided to make the softcore unique league mechanic something that makes the game easier, while for Nemesis they made one that makes the game harder. Means there's a bigger gap in difficulty between the 2. For Onslaught/Anarchy, Onslaught was a harder mod than Anarchy, but Anarchy still was a step up in difficulty compared to normal softcore, while Shrines are basically an easier version of softcore, they do spawn a bunch of mobs but once you grab them it's a rapefest, and they seem to have doubled the duration on them too which I don't remember reading in the notes.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there a new viable low life spec? I'd like to try playing again but my motivation plummeted after the RF nerf. I'd still like to find a way to utilize my shav's in a build.

As far as leveled gems I gave incinerate and fp both at lvl 20. Some other support skills, and three fire trap gems at lvl 20 as well

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well they added Purity of Fire which apparently would give +4%max fire at lvl 20, which with +50% aura effects would push it to +6% and with the Vitality cost reduction to 40%, might make it fairly viable to run RF again I'd say, but I don't really know the details. Seems mostly the same build but you get more max resist than you did before to compensate for the fact you take more damage now.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Is there a new viable low life spec? I'd like to try playing again but my motivation plummeted after the RF nerf. I'd still like to find a way to utilize my shav's in a build.

As far as leveled gems I gave incinerate and fp both at lvl 20. Some other support skills, and three fire trap gems at lvl 20 as well
The fire traps are all on the same cool down now so can only use one. Low life shavs still are the best builds, so wouldn't have a problem coming back. Your aura set up is fucked now but you can throw in some cast on shit with all your empty gem slots.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Trying to figure what to do with all these rares I have in my stash. I've tried to sell em on the trade channel (most level 30-50), but haven't been able to get rid of anything. Don't know what is worth keeping or what I should just vendor. Same with gems.

Also, is it normal having the same gear for 15+ levels? Been looking to upgrade, but haven't found anything that isclearlybetter than what I've got on.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Trying to figure what to do with all these rares I have in my stash. I've tried to sell em on the trade channel (most level 30-50), but haven't been able to get rid of anything. Don't know what is worth keeping or what I should just vendor. Same with gems.

Also, is it normal having the same gear for 15+ levels? Been looking to upgrade, but haven't found anything that isclearlybetter than what I've got on.
most rares are vendor trash. This is especially true when leveling when it's usually not worth it to link something (better just to alch a 4L and hope for something good). Just sell everything that isn't amazing (for weapons lots of physical % or added elem damage or spell damage and attack/cast speed, for armor--resistances AND hp+armor or resistances).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is there something wrong with Lunaris Temple since 1.0.1? I port into level 2, kill a few things, and then promptly die to some kind of degen that drops me from 100% hp to dead in the space of 2-3 seconds. Hitting a potion does nothing, so I assume it's desync. I've had desync problems in the past, enough to keep me from ever playing HC, but never this bad. In fact it just started last night; I cleared all of merciless up through Piety with no issues, but decided to farm xp before messing with Dominus. Died 3 times in a row, gave up and killed Dominus anyway, then died twice again tonight.

Docks and maps seem to be okay, and I'm playing a trapper so there's no high-risk skills (cyclone, whirling blades, etc.) involved. Don't see why I should be desyncing when all I do is stand around throwing lightning trap->fire trap->coldsnap trap in sequence over and over.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Is possible, I used to desync while shift-clicking to stand in place and drop spork totems. Ended up 2 rooms into the fog of war and hordes of enemies even, on occasion. Another possibility might be off-screen titty bitches shooting you down.

Vorph

Switched to farming Library instead, and I'm only getting minor desyncs. Seems better anyway, higher level zone and all the mobs in it are completely trivial.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Is there something wrong with Lunaris Temple since 1.0.1? I port into level 2, kill a few things, and then promptly die to some kind of degen that drops me from 100% hp to dead in the space of 2-3 seconds. Hitting a potion does nothing, so I assume it's desync. I've had desync problems in the past, enough to keep me from ever playing HC, but never this bad. In fact it just started last night; I cleared all of merciless up through Piety with no issues, but decided to farm xp before messing with Dominus. Died 3 times in a row, gave up and killed Dominus anyway, then died twice again tonight.

Docks and maps seem to be okay, and I'm playing a trapper so there's no high-risk skills (cyclone, whirling blades, etc.) involved. Don't see why I should be desyncing when all I do is stand around throwing lightning trap->fire trap->coldsnap trap in sequence over and over.
Youre probably getting impaled. When you move in merciless with impale you die in about 1.5 seconds. Look out for that icon

Vorph

Youre probably getting impaled. When you move in merciless with impale you die in about 1.5 seconds. Look out for that icon
Nah, all the times this happened I was standing still, and my first reaction when I see my HP drop like that is to hit my panicked/staunching life flask.

AFAIK the only degen in Lunaris L2 is burning anyway.

Tonic_sl

shitlord
Anyone's more than welcome to join a few friends of mine and I in guild if you need one still. Message me in game (Grumblecake).

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
If anyone wants some free dual spork MF equipment i'm done with this game. Tried to fire up my witch again this morning and couldn't even solo the first pack of mobs I ran in to in Barracks or whatever (where Grievous is etc.) so fuck it. Zero interest in finding the new fun build to play so I can invest another 200+ hours to have it turned into a steaming pile of shit that can't farm mobs 30 levels lower when everyone cries about that one too.

Will check the thread later and try to get up with anyone who wants the stuff.

Vorph

Trapper can get away with using a lot of MF too, so I'd be interested in gloves, ring, maybe neck or hat (mine are already rolled pretty well). Other slots are reserved for mandatory uniques.

axeman_sl

shitlord
It really is an extreme gear grind. While that is to be expected in an ARPG, I think PoE goes too far with how statistically improbable it is to find something good. This completely forces you into trading - heavy, constant, all-encompassing trading - if you want to really scratch the surface. It's possible to complete merciless without trading, but to do any of the stuff that actually makes the game last longer than a week, you simply have to be a merchant. Good gear is too absurdly rare to get it yourself, and the game falls into the exact same trap as D3 did: you just grind for currency and trade it for better items than you can find yourself. Once in a rare while the stars align and you find something genuinely good, but the probability of it benig for your build is near zero, and it happens too rarely to depend on anyway. After spending two weeks' farming worth of chaos orbs trying to roll some good stats on a 5L thicket bow I found and getting not a single remotely usable one, I'm done.